Why hire a DC from the outside when MM contract isn't extended?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Your title isn’t the same as the thread you created

Are you asking why we should hire a guy from the outside or why a guy from the outside would take this job?
you're thinking too hard my friend, why would want choose to hire from outside if the current head coach didn't have his contract extended. They could be replaced by an incoming new hire in 2025

tm1119

Reaction score
Because they will have the leg up for the next head coach spot. McCarthy could get axed mid season.
Sounds like a very healthy work environment. Imagine your boss bringing in your replacement to work along side of you while the threat of being fired looms over your head…

And I’m not saying that McCarthy deserves job security, but Jerry has already made his decision on that. Bringing someone in to breathe down McCarthy’s neck is only going to compound the problem and possibility cause division in the locker room. And with the Cowboys already being a media circus the last thing we need is a story of “will McCarthy be fired and replaced with the DC” after every regular season loss.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
It doesn't make sense for a person to do a one year experiment with this team, and possibly be let go with a new coach, please give your thoughts
It can also be a positive for someone who wants to prove himself for a year and then get looked as HC material next year. Or if MM gets fired, maybe he has shown Jerry that he might be a great HC as well.... speaking about Vrabel, Rivera... BB doesn't need a prove it year. If he is interested in HC again, he just may wait until next year after more firings. So it can make a lot of sense.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It doesn't make sense for a person to do a one year experiment with this team, and possibly be let go with a new coach, please give your thoughts
Been saying this since they decided to keep MM.

SackMaster

Reaction score
If you believe your a good coach, and there are no HC jobs open, I don't know why you wouldn't take a job for a team that has a lame duck coach.

Not only do you end up with an inside track for your current teams job, but if your units played well despite the HC not doing a good job, that looks good as far as being able to succeed in less than favorable situation.

This is the NFL and not college. I don't think the HC situation matters all that much to other coaches or players. There are only so many open slots, unlike CFB, so you take them when one is offered / open.

JMHO

cowboys5xsbs

Reaction score
Sounds like a very healthy work environment. Imagine your boss bringing in your replacement to work along side of you while the threat of being fired looms over your head…

And I’m not saying that McCarthy deserves job security, but Jerry has already made his decision on that. Bringing someone in to breathe down McCarthy’s neck is only going to compound the problem and possibility cause division in the locker room. And with the Cowboys already being a media circus the last thing we need is a story of “will McCarthy be fired and replaced with the DC” after every regular season loss.
Jerry loves the attention

Aven8

Reaction score
Broaddus says his personal favorite is Zimmer.