"Why I'm neither high nor low on Switzer", otherwise titled "A History of Cowboys 4th Rounders"

_sturt_

Reaction score
2017-05-21_1218.png

I count about 1 out of every 3 actually being impact players who end up at some point in their careers being productive enough to start.

Maybe we'll continue our recent good fortune. Maybe we're due to regress back to the mean. Who knows.

DFWJC

Reaction score
2017-05-21_1218.png

I count about 1 out of every 3 actually being impact players who end up at some point in their careers being productive enough to start.

Maybe we'll continue our recent good fortune. Maybe we're due to regress back to the mean. Who knows.
1/3.....I would guess thats probably the NFL average for 4th rounders. It may even better than average. Im sure someone here has the data.

But if you consider starting on special teams as starting, I really like Switzers odds.

Reaction score
Stats by themselves are not worth much. I've got more faith in Switzer producing than any other player drafted because he's polished and he's demonstrated excellence in doing what the team has drafted him to do.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I would count Tashard Choice as a "success." He was effectively a 3rd running back behind MBIII and Felix Jones. He played very well when he filled-in as a spot starter (remember that Steelers game).

He always annoyed me as a wannabe leader and the fact he was reluctant to play special teams didn't win him any favors, but as a 4th rounder he produced.

robjay04

Reaction score
I would consider Victor Butler and Kyle Wilber a success as well. If you make it through your rookie contract and are usually active...you're a success at a fourth round pick. Every player is not going to be an all pro. You're looking for role players in the fourth round.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would consider Victor Butler and Kyle Wilber a success as well. If you make it through your rookie contract and are usually active...you're a success at a fourth round pick. Every player is not going to be an all pro. You're looking for role players in the fourth round.

You may be looking for that but I'm not. Nor is any well run NFL franchise.

Hitchens, Butler and Wilber are bums. Wilson may be too.

Edit - Tashard Choice. Another bum.

The only player we've gotten in the 4th round since Free is obviously Tapper and yeah that's historically awesome but it's still just one guy. (If we're calling Tapper human.)

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you find yourself indifferent about Switzer then wait till this young man hits the field. He is a Beasly clone with maybe a little more gettie-up if that's possible.

Forgive me if I don't take the word of people who never mentioned the player before the draft. Not a single person here, minus that UNC homer who pimped every Tar Heel, has any credibility over Ryan Switzer. You didn't like him enough to talk about him before the draft. Your words are hollow after the draft. Don't care. Means nothing to me. You're just a cheerleader.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Forgive me if I don't take the word of people who never mentioned the player before the draft. Not a single person here, minus that UNC homer who pimped every Tar Heel, has any credibility over Ryan Switzer. You didn't like him enough to talk about him before the draft. Your words are hollow after the draft. Don't care. Means nothing to me. You're just a cheerleader.
Guess I'm a homer then

jday

Reaction score
2017-05-21_1218.png

There are so many variables this study ignores, I'm not sure if it's worth consideration when projecting Switzer's potential impact. The first thing you have to look at is his opportunity as it compares to everyone else on that list. He's going to have a shot at both return jobs and could etch out a role on 3rd downs. Second, if he can be another mismatch type player, which he is, he makes every other target's (and by extension Dak's) job easier.

robjay04

Reaction score
You may be looking for that but I'm not. Nor is any well run NFL franchise.

Hitchens, Butler and Wilber are bums. Wilson may be too.

Edit - Tashard Choice. Another bum.

The only player we've gotten in the 4th round since Free is obviously Tapper and yeah that's historically awesome but it's still just one guy. (If we're calling Tapper human.)

I would like to see the success rate around the league. I would suspect teams have similar success in the fourth round. It's a win if the player regularly contributes and is active on game day at the end of their rookie deals. I could be wrong though.

For the heck of it I decided to look at the Patriots. One site I found listed their kicker as the best fourth round pick ever. Judging by their last several players,...I found two guys that stick out, a few guys that aren't on their roster anymore. I admittedly don't know the ins and outs of their roster to have a valid opinion though. I'm just using them as any example because they seem to be the prime comparasion.

We do need to do better in the fourth...I'm just not expecting us to land many guys above JAG status that late.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
If you find yourself indifferent about Switzer then wait till this young man hits the field. He is a Beasly clone with maybe a little more gettie-up if that's possible.
Switzer isn't a Beasley clone. Switzer can play outside or in the slot, he is dangerous at returning punts. Switzer is stronger as well, not to even mention might be the best route runner on the team right now.

Not putting Beasley down but skin color and height are about the only thing they are the same

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Nothing against the OP or this premise, but this is why stats have no meaning to me.

A list of fourth round picks for this team are about as pertinent to Switzer's ability and success as donuts are to axle grease.

Dallas had never drafted a pick, first round or any other, who lead the league in rushing yards for a career. Since Emmitt was drafted in 1990 as the 17th over-all pick, and posted 18,355 rushing yards, I'd suggest history is only meaningful if and when it actually becomes verifiable, cast in stone history.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

Let me direct your attention to this post...
http://cowboyszone.com/threads/we-dodged-a-bullet-on-draft-day.378672/#post-7343919

I admitted Switzer was not on my radar before we drafted him but I did research him afterwards. You're not giving up any dirty on me that I haven't already give on myself so rather than feeling smug about your post you need to back off. If you know where to look there is enough information out there on this young man to have a great feeling he'll be an immediate contributor to our team. Any of us that aren't on the Cowboys staff are just cheerleaders.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Switzer isn't a Beasley clone. Switzer can play outside or in the slot, he is dangerous at returning punts. Switzer is stronger as well, not to even mention might be the best route runner on the team right now.

Not putting Beasley down but skin color and height are about the only thing they are the same
I've heard (and think it's a pretty good observation) that Switzer is very similar to Beasley before the catch. It's after where he's much better with the ball in his hands.

I think the only way Switzer busts is if his body can't handle the rigors of the nfl.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

Switzer hasn't played a single down of Cowboys football yet so all those things you just added to his resume are wishful thinking at this point. College ball does not equate to NFL performance so tap on the brakes. I hope he's everything you say he is but for now all we know is his size, skin color and the tape.