Why is Dak scared to run the ball?

coult44

Reaction score
Anyone else noticed this? He’s taking a significant less amount of daring runs this season vs. last season. I know he’s improved his passing skills, however, he’s always been known for his tangibles in running and throwing on the run. Why does he not do this anymore? Does he not like the label of being a mobile/running QB? Does he want to be a pure pocket passer? It can’t be the playcalling (for the most part) because running is an option for him on many of them. He had the option today in certain plays and even in the Vikes game and decided against it. He should’ve known that mobile QB’s are a weakness to NE, but never did he run or audible a run for himself if plays weren’t being made. Even when he does run, he hesitates to do so. I love the guy as our QB, but something isn’t right with him not wanting to run the ball anymore. Thoughts?

The play at the end was a back breaker and took away a lot of the great feelings I’ve had about Dak this year. Him deciding not to run when he threw the ball into the end zone was a HUGE let down. It told me that he’s not as much as a team guy as we think he is. It told me that he’s thinking too much about the pay check. It told me he cares what the media think about passing QB’s. It showed me his immaturity in trying to out play Tom instead of just making a play . I know that sounds crazy because you say if he makes that play we might have won, but him getting a passing TD was important to him in front of Brady, and he blew it by deciding not to run, especially when it’s wide freaking open!!!

yimyammer

Reaction score
Anyone else noticed this? He’s taking a significant less amount of daring runs this season vs. last season. I know he’s improved his passing skills, however, he’s always been known for his tangibles in running and throwing on the run. Why does he not do this anymore? Does he not like the label of being a mobile/running QB? Does he want to be a pure pocket passer? It can’t be the playcalling (for the most part) because running is an option for him on many of them. He had the option today in certain plays and even in the Vikes game and decided against it. He should’ve known that mobile QB’s are a weakness to NE, but never did he run or audible a run for himself if plays weren’t being made. Even when he does run, he hesitates to do so. I love the guy as our QB, but something isn’t right with him not wanting to run the ball anymore. Thoughts?

I dont know but I was dying for him to run on that 3rd and 7 near the goal line as it looked like he could make it or at least set them up for 4th and short

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
The play at the end was a back breaker and took away a lot of the great feelings I’ve had about Dak this year. Him deciding not to run when he threw the ball into the end zone was a HUGE let down. It told me that he’s not as much as a team guy as we think he is. It told me that he’s thinking too much about the pay check. It told me he cares what the media think about passing QB’s. It showed me his immaturity in trying to out play Tom instead of just making a play . I know that sounds crazy because you say if he makes that play we might have won, but him getting a passing TD was important to him in front of Brady, and he blew it by deciding not to run, especially when it’s wide freaking open!!!

I don’t think he was trying to out play Tom, but I do think he’s a bit too worried about his contract (which is kind of understandable to a degree) and his demeanor and presence as a QB. Look at the most highly regarded, looked upon, respected QB’s in the league right now. Brady. Brees. Rodgers. Rothelisburger before his injury. Wilson (Mobile QB though). Rivers even. Even Wentz and Goff were regarded higher than him. I believe this may have gotten in his head. Most of the QBs I listed are pocket passers. They scramble and move when they have to, but will stay in the pocket at most times. He wants that respect. He knows being a mobile QB isn’t respected or cool or good. Being a pocket passer is the only way to truly succeed in the NFL (how I think he sees it). I think he’s a team guy (as he’s played for 2 mil and hasn’t caused any problems with holding out or threats of leaving the team or something) but I think he gets in his own head sometimes and makes very dumb mistakes.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
I dont know but I was dying for him to run on that 3rd and 7 near the goal line as it looked like he could make it or at least set them up for 4th and short

He did this in the Vikes game. It’s getting a bit concerning. I understand the injury concern, but he’s taken some rough hits before and came out okay. There has to be more to it than injury and contract talks.

yimyammer

Reaction score
He did this in the Vikes game. It’s getting a bit concerning. I understand the injury concern, but he’s taken some rough hits before and came out okay. There has to be more to it than injury and contract talks.

I really don't get the feeling he's not running because of the contract, it feels like its from the hugely conservative head coach who seems to be risk averse on just about everything

sideon

Reaction score
Because he hasn't gotten paid yet, and that's exactly how it should be.

Proof

Reaction score

this is... i just dont know, but you need to quit it.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Because he does not have the ability to make people miss. He probably could have juked the guy on third and 7 and come close to scoring. Dak is not a "mobile" QB, he is a strong QB. You guys need to get this running QB stuff out of your head!

khiladi

Reaction score
He’s probably being coached to wait for the long developing pass routes to develop while he is afforded amazing pass protection up front.

Because of that, he’s probably buried the ‘take off’ mentality as much as he can. He hasn’t even really kept the ball on read optima this year and we don’t seem to be doing too much of it nowadays.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
He’s probably being coached to wait for the long developing pass routes to develop while he is afforded amazing pass protection up front.

Because of that, he’s probably buried the ‘take off’ mentality as much as he can. He hasn’t even really kept the ball on read optima this year and we don’t seem to be doing too much of it nowadays.

Well he needs to dig it back out.

stuckindc

Reaction score
It would have made a big difference today, but he only took off one freakin time!

I believe it was on the 2nd series.

SMDH
He had a chance to score down in the redzone...The only guy he had to beat was a big dlineman ...but instead he threw out of the back of the endzone to Jarwin...that play right there could have turned the game..

glimmerman

Reaction score
I have been screaming it every game. He has had big holes and teams are set up for it but he won’t take off. If he did it 2 times a game then it would change the way defenses play us.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He had a chance to score down in the redzone...The only guy he had to beat was a big dlineman ...but instead he threw out of the back of the endzone to Jarwin...that play right there could have turned the game..
I saw it also. Easy TD for him. If JG is telling him to not run it then he needs to be kicked.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score

Michael Vick made an excellent point. I have it started at around the time he begins to speak on the subject. That's one thing separating him from being an elite/great QB is his decision making. You HAVE to run the ball in those crucial situations, but he's forcing the ball into tight coverages that end in interceptions or incompletions when he could have ran the ball in. Funny how many in here are calling me and the ones defending his actions crazy, but an actual ex-NFL QB saw exactly what me and a few other see.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score

Michael Vick made an excellent point. I have it started at around the time he begins to speak on the subject. That's one thing separating him from being an elite/great QB is his decision making. You HAVE to run the ball in those crucial situations, but he's forcing the ball into tight coverages that end in interceptions or incompletions when he could have ran the ball in. Funny how many in here are calling me and the ones defending his actions crazy, but an actual ex-NFL QB saw exactly what me and a few other see.

Agree with you and Vick, he should be running more. Of course he is not Vick or L. Jackson but it would give the D something else to think about and keep some drives alive. He is not a Tom Brady or Drew Brees and he needs to use that to his advantage and also help the team keep moving the chain or even score.