Why is our #1 corner 77 solo tackles?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I hadn't even noticed this, but Newman had 79 (77 of them solo) tackles last year.

To give you an example of how many tackles that, Keith Brooking had 73 solo tackles.

I don't even know what it means really, is he being tested more? His previous season high was 66 his rookie season, when I would assume he was tested by QB's.

Is he just not feared anymore? Is he getting more involved in the physical aspect of the game? Are the linebackers/front line forcing him to make tackles?

By contrast, not that it's a fair comparison, Revis had 26 solo tackles last year.

rkell87

Reaction score
for comparison deangelo hall had 65 and asante samuel had 22, aa

Red Dragon

Reaction score
I hope it doesn't mean that our D-lineman and LBs aren't making the tackles they should.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
I don't think this is a question that should have two sides.....but rather one where the answer lies somewhere in between. It's not a big leap to suggest that that number could be a result of poor tackling up front, missed tackles by the defense as a whole, AND the fact that Newman had a bad year by his standards. I think its obvious that he was being tested more....any QB who doesn't test injured CB's more isn't doing his job.

....but I can recall numerous occasions that Newman tracked down a ballcarrier after someone else blew coverage or missed tackles....and we missed a lot of tackles, and blew a lot of coverages.

Newman had a down year, but I don't think this stat is a direct reflection of that. In fact, I'd say it's more a direct reflection of poor defense in general.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
The ball is coming his way, plus the inside backers were the 2nd weakest link on the defense, IMO. But atleast we know Newman is a willing tackler in case you ever want to move him to FS.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Clove;3852749 said:
The ball is coming his way, plus the inside backers were the 2nd weakest link on the defense, IMO. But atleast we know Newman is a willing tackler in case you ever want to move him to FS.

Thats what I was thinking, the tackles might not have been bone jarring ones but at least he shows that he is capable, willing, and able to tackle.

With how bad this D was last year, we need all the flexibility we can get on D, especially with true free agency coming after the draft.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
TheCount;3852732 said:
I hadn't even noticed this, but Newman had 79 (77 of them solo) tackles last year.

To give you an example of how many tackles that, Keith Brooking had 73 solo tackles.

I don't even know what it means really, is he being tested more? His previous season high was 66 his rookie season, when I would assume he was tested by QB's.

Is he just not feared anymore? Is he getting more involved in the physical aspect of the game? Are the linebackers/front line forcing him to make tackles?

By contrast, not that it's a fair comparison, Revis had 26 solo tackles last year.

It means that when Marcus Spears got hurt, teams were able to run at the edge more, especially with Spencer "losing focus" and losing contain on the edge seemingly every other snap.

By comparison, you're also talking about Revis, who people don't even throw to. When you've got a CB you know is playing with severely injured ribs, you're going to throw to that side of the field more.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
TheCount;3852732 said:

Revis missed a lot of games. I'd be surprised if he played in half of the games last season and he didn't play the whole game a few times.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3852765 said:
Revis missed a lot of games. I'd be surprised if he played in half of the games last season and he didn't play the whole game a few times.

I actually forgot about that as well.

trueblue1687

Reaction score
I think he does get targeted alot, but in his defense, he does make alot of tackles on swing runs. I'd say his actual "pass" tackles are a little bit lower figure than that.

TheDallasDon

AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee
Reaction score
Clove;3852749 said:

If he beefs up I think he could play FS, CB is pretty physical position I just worry about him taking on blocks, with the added weight he might be physical enough 2 cover TE this is a possibility if we draft a cornerback and don't address safety

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
TheCount;3852732 said:

Atleast it means Newman is willing to tackle.
We have a punk on the other side who isn't always willing!

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Clove;3852749 said:

I can't see Newman being an affective FS because one of his problems is he has a tendency to guess wrong that's why he gets fooled a lot and you have to gamble at FS.

Besides even though Newman is a willing tackler he's not a big time hitter and a big time hitter is what you want at FS.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
TheCount;3852732 said:

Opponents were throwing the ball against the Cowboys who ranked 26th against the pass.

Our secondary was being attacked all season and Newman had to make a lot of tackles.

If he wasn't making a tackle trailing a play he was giving up underneath routes and came up to make the tackle.

He made a lot more tackles than Jenkins because Jenkins looks to avoid them. :p:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
TheCount;3852732 said:

Yep. But as you've read from experts on this forum, he could not play Safety. [/sarcasm]

It means 4 things. He was targeted a lot, our front 7 missed some assignments, teams ran wide right a lot, and he was doing his job.

I would prefer to turn him around and face the ball to extend his career and use his read skills to read the ball in the air or the run. Newman is a good football player on the downhill portion of his career. He is respected in the locker room and the huddle as a smart, dedicated football player and a leader.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
I laugh at the posters who claim that tackling is one of Newman's weakness. He's the most willing and technically sound tacklers in our entire secondary. He's not afraid to stick his head in there and I've seen him make more tackles on those smoke screen passes for little to no yardage than any other player on our defense.

Derinyar

Reaction score
It means the front seven didn't do their job, getting QB pressure consistently or tackling runners. It means that the safeies were worrisome enough that the consistent idea was play the player not the ball. It means that Newman also had an off year.

Things weren't good on defense last year outside of Ware, who is what he is. Everything else pretty much broke down to some extent or another. If we can upgrade at saftey and get the front 7 to play consistently then we could easily see Newman start looking like a #1 CB again.

CCBoy

Reaction score
casmith07;3852757 said:
It means that when Marcus Spears got hurt, teams were able to run at the edge more, especially with Spencer "losing focus" and losing contain on the edge seemingly every other snap.

By comparison, you're also talking about Revis, who people don't even throw to. When you've got a CB you know is playing with severely injured ribs, you're going to throw to that side of the field more.

My thoughts are Rob Ryan adjusts the front box area to eliminate the number of tackles that a willing Terence Newman must make in run support. I think that number of tackles only goes to good run support that Newman now adds to the mix.

As soon as (1) the safety situation at least becomes dependable for the corners, and (2) toughness at the line of scrimmage...and Newman remains healthy and very visibly productive.

(Deri, hadn't even seen your post yet)