Why is Stephen doing all the interviews instead of Jerry?

Motorola

Reaction score
Just about anyone on this forum would be just as successful if not more so than Jones if we had the advantages he was born into. There's nothing brilliant or talented about a guy like Jerry Jones as is proven when he tries to do something money and privilege cannot buy.

How many people here do you think would hire a GM and get the hell out of the way if they were suddenly in Jerry's position? Probably more than 90%.
I agree with your percentage. I am not certain of the exact percentages of professional sports team owners micromanaging as Jones--and it may not equal or supersede 90%--but I would wager the ones who do not operate like Jones hovers around 75% and higher. And when I say professional sports team owners, I mean NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, CFL, Soccer, Ping Pong, Shuffleboard, you name it.
In the NFL, it's Al Davis in the Super Bowl Era who for four decades (1972-2011) was the owner+GM of the Raiders.
In MLB, it was the Yankees' owners George Steinbrenner comes to mind as an intervening owner in the 1970's ...but he had a solid background in sports (assistant coach in college, running a pro basketball franchise in a rival league to the NBA).

kumizi

Reaction score
Because Stephen runs the team. Jerry is 81 years old.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Stephen Is more in charge than everyone thinks. This is his team, his dad is just the owner and guy who speaks publicly

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In the NFL, it's Al Davis in the Super Bowl Era who for four decades (1972-2011) was the owner+GM of the Raiders.
In MLB, it was the Yankees' owners George Steinbrenner comes to mind as an intervening owner in the 1970's ...but he had a solid background in sports (assistant coach in college, running a pro basketball franchise in a rival league to the NBA).
Just to tag on. Davis was a coach at the college and professional level fifteen years. Served as the old AFL commissioner for a year.

Steinbrenner and Davis were not perfect. Steinbrenner was bombastic with his team and the media during the 1970s and 1980s. The NFL began to evolve beyond Davis' 'Just Win Baby' football philosophy by the mid-1980s.

That said, as you are pointing out, both had gained experience and met any reasonable minimal professional requirements for running a professional sports team operations years before having the opportunity.

There is a contrast between these individuals, whom some people repeatedly and incorrectly claim are equivalents in sports team management, and Jerry Jones. Jones played college football. He tried his hand at the pizza restaurant and insurance industries. He was pulling crude from beneath the ground when he saved enough money and borrowed the rest to buy the Dallas Cowboys franchise.

That is a summation of his pre-ownership/general manager experience prior to February 1989. He has been trial-and-erroring ever since. His fellow Arkansas Razorback alum first born was a chemical engineer prior to dad buying the franchise. He has been stumbling since day one too--although, he can promote the hell out of a rodeo.

Fate can be a cruel mistress. Some Cowboys fans understand this most of all.

Motorola

Reaction score
Just to tag on. Davis was a coach at the college and professional level fifteen years. Served as the old AFL commissioner for a year.

Steinbrenner and Davis were not perfect. Steinbrenner was bombastic with his team and the media during the 1970s and 1980s. The NFL began to evolve beyond Davis' 'Just Win Baby' football philosophy at the mid-1980s.

That said, as you are pointing out, both had gain experience and met any reasonable minimal professional requirements for running a professional sports team operations years before having the opportunity.

There is a contrast between these individuals, whom some people repeatedly and incorrectly claim are equivalents in sports team management, and Jerry Jones. Jones played college football. He tried his hand at the pizza restaurant and insurance industries. He was pulling crude from beneath the ground when he saved enough money and borrowed the rest to buy the Dallas Cowboys franchise.

That is a summation of his pre-ownership/general manager experience prior to February 1989. He has been trial-and-erroring ever since. His fellow Arkansas Razorback alum first born was a chemical engineer prior to dad buying the franchise. He has been stumbling since day one too--although, he can promote the hell out of a rodeo.

Fate can be a cruel mistress. Some Cowboys fans understand this most of all.
DallasEast - great post.
In my previous comment, I left out that Steinbrenner was a graduate assistant in COLLEGE FOOTBALL at OHIO STATE in 1954 - the season they won the national championship (under Woody Hayes).
He then went on to be an assistant coach at both Northwestern and Purdue, before entering his family's failing Great Lakes shipping company. He revitalized the business, then left to become involved in professional basketball -- the NIBL and ABL.

Motorola

Reaction score
I have a better question. Why is Stephen doing interviews at all?
Son trying to follow in his Father's footsteps about being front-and-center in front of the media.
Jerry started out learning from his father's business acumen and goals...then combined that with a persona equal parts + corn-pone and snake oil salesmanship.
TBH --- never went in depth on knowing the Stephen's history --but to me he's just shining up his silver spoon...thinking his time and role in the franchise will make him an successful NFL GM just like his father.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I have seen several posts calling Jerry ostensibly Hitler invoking the 20th century pariah's title.

I imagine it is not lost on the Joneses that Jerry is not polling really well right now.