Why is Stephen doing all the interviews instead of Jerry?

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen doesn't have 3 super bowls in his back pocket . Hopefully once Jerry is totally out of the way the press and locals will call out Stephen and drive him away.

shabazz

Reaction score
Good observation…I’d guess it’s because Stephen cheap *** is the one running the team right now.
If what Stephen says is true, they are spending right up to the cap every season

So is it that he's cheap or a failure at WHOM to give the money to and WHOM not to?

Anybody can spend the whole pie, but the best GMs know HOW to divide each slice

Obviously, our GM has been unsuccessful as of late

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
If what Stephen says is true, they are spending right up to the cap every season

So is it that he's cheap or a failure at WHOM to give the money to and WHOM not to?

Well he's right, to an extent, we do spend the CAP, and yes you're right he a failure at it.
It starts with the 'plan', to be relevant every year and a failure to adopt the strategy of pretty much every team, that you cant sign EVERY good player you've got (especially at top market value, as they do it in contract year).
The FO shows no creativity and as such we get played, in trades and extensions.
Watch how they mess up the Micah situation.

shabazz

Reaction score
Well he's right, to an extent, we do spend the CAP, and yes you're right he a failure at it.
It starts with the 'plan', to be relevant every year and a failure to adopt the strategy of pretty much every team, that you cant sign EVERY good player you've got (especially at top market value, as they do it in contract year).
The FO shows no creativity and as such we get played, in trades and extensions.
Watch how they mess up the Micah situation.
And that's why I support trading Micah for a boatload of picks.......paying him a kings ransom while we have so many other needs doesn't make sense to me .

He's a luxury I just don't think we can afford. Plus I'm not sold on Micah as a player anyway. I truly can't even put him at the TJ Watt level of consistent production so why pay him as such?

My sights are set on 2025 and a new direction

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

I just look at other GMs and they are willing to sign free agents and their own. That requires signing your own guys, lowering their cap hit and committing more money to the future. They just have no idea on how to build a team seems.

Motorola

Reaction score
.......or he wisely hires a real GM.

Perhaps he's a better business man than Jerry and understands what delegating authority means.
I always 'hoped' that Stephen would employ a GM as the media would go for him in a way they would never do with Jerry.
Once Jerry is out of the picture, Stephen can claim running his father's other ventures demands to much time away from the football operations, and cede control of those responsibilities to a bonifide person/people. (Will McClay?)
He can still carry on as the face and mouthpiece of the franchise while sharing joint ownership with his two siblings.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Yall wanted Jerry out and now youre seeing how worse its gonna be with Stephen once hes fully in charge

its going to be 10x worse and 10x cheaper
It has to get worse before it gets better. Stephen being an even worse disaster than Jerry without having the "at least I hired Jimmy" excuse to fall back on will only hasten the change that must eventually happen.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I agree about everything except the possible definition of 'earned' in Jones' case. Jones gave himself the title of general manager. He has trial-and-errored creating different combinations of coaches and players who, having nothing to do with the Jimmy Johnson years, have never reached the NFC Championship game.

Jones has earned great success off-the-field. Stadium and real estate valuations. Commercial endorsements. Merchandising windfalls. Oil and gas bonanzas. On the field success? That has been contributive to his GM touch? I cannot discern what Jones has earned in that regard, other than annual frustration for himself and his franchise's fans.
Just about anyone on this forum would be just as successful if not more so than Jones if we had the advantages he was born into. There's nothing brilliant or talented about a guy like Jerry Jones as is proven when he tries to do something money and privilege cannot buy.

How many people here do you think would hire a GM and get the hell out of the way if they were suddenly in Jerry's position? Probably more than 90%.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just about anyone on this forum would be just as successful if not more so than Jones if we had the advantages he was born into. There's nothing brilliant or talented about a guy like Jerry Jones as is proven when he tries to do something money and privilege cannot buy.

How many people here do you think would hire a GM and get the hell out of the way if they were suddenly in Jerry's position? Probably more than 90%.
I agree with your percentage. I am not certain of the exact percentages of professional sports team owners micromanaging as Jones--and it may not equal or supersede 90%--but I would wager the ones who do not operate like Jones hovers around 75% and higher. And when I say professional sports team owners, I mean NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, CFL, Soccer, Ping Pong, Shuffleboard, you name it.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Jerry is too busy with more important things. Like hiring college basketball coaches

Mr_437

Reaction score
Stephen has been running the show, he should be answering the questions instead of Jerry.