Why is this team obsessed with 4.5 wrs?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Gallup and lamb both run 4.5s. Janes washington runs 4.54. Cooper was the only fast guy and was a great Rt runner and they trade him.

Not so sure any of our we'd can still run their combine speed except Lamb. How sad it that?

Traye1

Reaction score
He’s 313 at 5’11. He should drop 12 pounds.

Talk about being slow....you guys are missing the point, James Washington has running ability, size and power. He was an excellent receiver in college. Shoot is senior year he had 74 catches for over 1500 yards. Do the math, that's 20 ypc!

However, the point I am making here is...he is our Deebo Samuel. You read it here first!!!

Traye1

Reaction score
Talk about being slow....you guys are missing the point, James Washington has running ability, size and power. He was an excellent receiver in college. Shoot is senior year he had 74 catches for over 1500 yards. Do the math, that's 20 ypc!

However, the point I am making here is...he is our Deebo Samuel. You read it here first!!!

Proof

Reaction score

nope this is now the third time i read it

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Let's be very clear about one thing. You can run a 4.2 in pro day, but run a 5.4 in pads. Lamb is way faster on the field. Simply having a good 40 yrd dash doesn't make you an explosive receiver. It's just a piece of measure to talent.

Lamb has freakish athletic ability outside of speed (and by no means is a 4.5 slow when you're not even a track guy). He has great feet, space awareness, and above average route skills/hands. Gallup is usally the guy that takes the top off of defenses when healthy, but he's not fast right?

The difference between a 4.4 and 4.5 on the field isn't that big. Unless you're running a 40. Then it comes down to who comes off the line faster and so on.

In terms of on the field, if a receiver can punch you in the chest with two hands, then juke you, and you don't measure up in lateral, and natural agility then all of that straight line speed means nothing. You're burnt.

Look at Micah. Total freak. Can be in the middle of rushing the line, turn on a dime and chase a guy 20 yards down field with a 5-8 yd head start and STILL catch up to bat the ball down.

Those kinda guys don't grow on trees. It's just not that simple. Speed is just one important part of the position.

I subscribe to this and believe lateral quickness is much more important. Also believe teams should have players run drills in their full gear at the combine.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Which may be exactly why they signed Washington… not the fastest guy, but he has nice size, is decent at contested catches and has strong hands.

If Dak is going to be seeing press coverage— Gallup and Washington are both decent at making tight window catches.

I think that's just playing into Dak's weakness. He's better with guys that get separation. Beasley excelled until teams always gave help to the guy on him. Coop just excelled.

Dak has a need, for speed.

And yet we don't try to get Pollard on a mismatch deep. Sad.

Hypotenoose

Reaction score
Let's be very clear about one thing. You can run a 4.2 in pro day, but run a 5.4 in pads. Lamb is way faster on the field. Simply having a good 40 yrd dash doesn't make you an explosive receiver. It's just a piece of measure to talent.

Lamb has freakish athletic ability outside of speed (and by no means is a 4.5 slow when you're not even a track guy). He has great feet, space awareness, and above average route skills/hands. Gallup is usally the guy that takes the top off of defenses when healthy, but he's not fast right?

The difference between a 4.4 and 4.5 on the field isn't that big. Unless you're running a 40. Then it comes down to who comes off the line faster and so on.

In terms of on the field, if a receiver can punch you in the chest with two hands, then juke you, and you don't measure up in lateral, and natural agility then all of that straight line speed means nothing. You're burnt.

Look at Micah. Total freak. Can be in the middle of rushing the line, turn on a dime and chase a guy 20 yards down field with a 5-8 yd head start and STILL catch up to bat the ball down.

Those kinda guys don't grow on trees. It's just not that simple. Speed is just one important part of the position.
Fantastic post. There is much more than 40 times to being a successful WR.

Creeper

Reaction score
I doubt Cooper could run a 4.3 today. He looks slower than Gallup and CeeDee. But generally I do agree. The Cowboys could use a legit 4.3 guys to scare defenses and run those WR sweeps.

One thing we forget about losing Wilson is he can throw the football on the trick plays. They were pretty effective the few times they did it last year.