Why It Is Ok to Overpay FA

david_jackson

Reaction score
Either the there will be a new CBA with a significant rise is cap space or there will be an Uncapped year. In either case there will be an escalation is salaries greater than previous yea-to-year increases. So a signing that looks over the top based on previous experience could be looked back on in retrospect as a bargain. There are some smart folks in theh FO around the league that have this all figured out.

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
david_jackson said:
Either the there will be a new CBA with a significant rise is cap space or there will be an Uncapped year. In either case there will be an escalation is salaries greater than previous yea-to-year increases. So a signing that looks over the top based on previous experience could be looked back on in retrospect as a bargain. There are some smart folks in theh FO around the league that have this all figured out.

The only time it's ok to overpay a free agent is if he's damn well worth it and can single handedly make a team better! Which would mean his name is Drew Bledsoe, Lecharles Bentley or Shaun Alexander:bow:

david_jackson

Reaction score
The whole point is our perception of what is overpaying is made by the current CBA...Times they are a changing

david_jackson

Reaction score
abersonc said:
Fantasy land again. Never gonna happen

I believe there was an or in the statement somewhere there will be an uncapped year OR there will be an larger than nromal increase in the cap due to a new CBA

trueblue1687

Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
The only time it's ok to overpay a free agent is if he's damn well worth it and can single handedly make a team better! Which would mean his name is Drew Bledsoe, Lecharles Bentley or Shaun Alexander:bow:

That's funny!:laugh2:

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
david_jackson said:
Either the there will be a new CBA with a significant rise is cap space or there will be an Uncapped year. In either case there will be an escalation is salaries greater than previous yea-to-year increases.

The CBA precludes year-to-year increases greater than 30 percent of the 2006 total salary (everything but the signing bonus). So you can't sign someone to a contract for $1 million this season and $10 million in 2007.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
david_jackson said:
I believe there was an or in the statement somewhere there will be an uncapped year OR there will be an larger than nromal increase in the cap due to a new CBA

cap increase sure -- but that impacts every signing - you have more cap room and salaries increase -- plus the CBA may increase the minimum salary so the impact isn't unidirectional.

an uncapped year would destroy the parity the league built -- not going to happen.

david_jackson

Reaction score
AdamJT13 said:
The CBA precludes year-to-year increases greater than 30 percent of the 2006 total salary (everything but the signing bonus). So you can't sign someone to a contract for $1 million this season and $10 million in 2007.

Adam...Interesting stuff and I appreciate your feedback (read corrections:) ) What is to prevent a team from signing player to contracts with large signing bonuses that can be cleverly voided next year. Or sign large bonuses and if there is an uncapped year (I hope and expect no either abersonic) just renogiate it during that uncapped year?

david_jackson

Reaction score
abersonc said:
cap increase sure -- but that impacts every signing - you have more cap room and salaries increase -- plus the CBA may increase the minimum salary so the impact isn't unidirectional.

an uncapped year would destroy the parity the league built -- not going to happen.

I could be wrong but I would expect a new CBA to have an immediate jump as more revenue streams are included the revenue pool. Then back to regular increases each year matching pace with NFL growth. I would be very surprised if the bulk of the increase goes to raising the minimums because of the power structure of the players union--lots of vets you know.

Of course we will have to see the new CBA to tell for sure, but I predict veteran greed.