Why keep CJ Goodwin?

Cwby41

Reaction score
I know he is a good special teams guy but that is all he is. We lost a promising young player in Wood for a player who will play on ST only. If we did not have DE or WR playing gunner on Punts last year possibly some of those fake plays against us dont happen. I hate losing a guy with upside to hold onto Goodwin?
What are your guys thoughts on this?

rambo2

Reaction score
I know he is a good special teams guy but that is all he is. We lost a promising young player in Wood for a player who will play on ST only. If we did not have DE or WR playing gunner on Punts last year possibly some of those fake plays against us dont happen. I hate losing a guy with upside to hold onto Goodwin?
My thoughts are that they lost a good player in Wood who could have played on special teams and competed for playing time in the future.

exciter

Reaction score
Already 5 deep at the position and you have to wonder how much upside there is to a 193lb safety who ran between 4.64 and 4.73.
There wasn’t ever away Goodwin wasn’t making the team barring injury then you take into account how many times they’ve resigned him.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I would have done like we did the previous couple of seasons: Cut Goodwin to keep a younger player and put him on the PS for a few games until a spot on the 53 likely opens. Maybe there's a reason we couldn't do that, but I think that's been a good strategy since he can't be claimed ... unlike Wood, Scott and Rogers (although Rogers wasn't claimed since he signed with Cincy's practice squad).

Plankton

Reaction score
If Goodwin were a Steve Tasker/Bill Bates level special teams player it would be one thing. But, he's not. He's merely good at the role. They should be able to find a WR or DB in the draft who can fill that role while being developed for larger duties. It's bad roster management, TBH.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Goodwin is a good, not great gunner. It makes no sense that they value him so much.
Been saying it for years now.

I’ve seen every game he has played and I recall him making exactly two plays.

Keep someone else with some upside and spend his 2m elsewhere. The fact that he is some sort of ST demon is ridiculous.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm not going to argue with Bones. He deserves my benefit of a doubt.
Yeah that’s my stance. I’d imagine if he could replace him he would’ve. His special teams unit is good so why mess it up? I’ve been trying to replace Goodwin for two off seasons but they seem to feel different.

rambo2

Reaction score
@Reality made the point in the Justin Rogers thread that we're witnessing a win-now, veterans-over-development-projects mindset. That probably applies here as well.
I think that Rogers left because he felt he had a better camp than Smith and they didn't keep him on the 53.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I think that Rogers left because he felt he had a better camp than Smith and they didn't keep him on the 53.
I think that Rogers left because he interpreted bringing in a 36 year-old who hasn't been productive in two previous seasons to say they weren't going to be serious about giving him any shot to contribute in 2024. And can't argue with him... how else can that be interpreted?

Jarntt

Reaction score
Goodwin is still around for a reason. Wood would have been nothing but a special teams guy if he was on the 53 here and not as good at it as Goodwin in the team’s eyes or they would have kept him instead. Special Teams are important. Wood wasn't Someone I expected them to keep nor that I wanted them to keep. I think the Wood drama is a little over the top and would be surprised if he was on the Tenn roster week 1 of the 2025 season and wouldn’t be surprised if he was off their roster within a month.

Rogers was a much bigger loss to me because he could actually provide snaps in a rotation on defense. Even Scott I would have kept over Wood because of our CB issues right now and I don’t even like Scott.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
I guess Goodwin is the modern Bill Bates, but I'm with you its surprising no one could push off a 34 year old st player.

Creeper

Reaction score
Goodwin is 34. They will have to let him go at some point. It makes no sense to me to use up a roster spot for a ST guy when they are thin at DT. The Cowboys do some weird things with their roster. Last year when they were short on LBs, they cut Devin Harper and kept Eric Scott on the roster. Scott was waived this year after never playing in a game. This is probably the year to let Goodwin go and save a younger player.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Wood and Rogers was on the 53. Most likely both would have been inactive every week.

CJ would be called up from the PS as in the past, and been on the active game day roster.

This year may be they are thinking different. Take a chance on marginal players to get to the PS, that most likely would not be active on game day.

This also is the Zimmer effect, as well, as maybe some advice from Jimmy Johnson. He knew how to build roster as we know.
Jimmy may be more silently involved than we know.

I would have liked to keep both as well. But I am not going to lose any sleep over it, nor complain.