Why No Defense In First Round?

d_cowboy31

Reaction score
Every single mock draft I have seen has the Cowboys taking an OL in the first. Pretty much all the "inside info" also has Dallas taking OL or trading down to get Brooks + OL. It seems every other year we use a first round pick on an OL. OL in the first and Brooks in the second also seems like a very plausible situation which means it is highly likely we don't even look to draft a defensive player until round 3.

We did absolutely nothing to address our terrible DT and LB groups. Are there no players that would be worth drafting at these positions at the end of the first round? I don't understand why no one at all is talking defense in the first (or even second) round.

blueblood70

Reaction score
That's why it's called a mock draft but yes I have seen people recommend a linebacker and the guy from Michigan seems to be at the top of the list... But again a mock draft means just that it's a guess it's a giant *** opinion.... If they have a great linebacker there at 24 maybe they're gonna take him but most have at least linebacker offensive center and possibly a defensive tackle on their list so whatever mock drafts you're looking at are the wrong ones but they're just making a wholesale gas if you wanna add in what names you think we should pick why don't you do it add a name add a couple names...

I mean best player available at any of those three positions would be who I would take that could be Texas Longhorn nose tackle sweat I might take him I know it might be a crazy thing but whoever is the best player out of those three positions are the one you take.. LB, OLC, or DT..

I've also seen people trading down and having two second round picks so they could probably get a center and or a linebacker or a running back so you get two players in the second round and then maybe you get an additional third or fourth round pick for trading away your first pick...

visionary

Reaction score
Id love a DT or top DE in rd 1 and then OL rd 2
No LB before rd 3

starfan1

Reaction score
Every single mock draft I have seen has the Cowboys taking an OL in the first. Pretty much all the "inside info" also has Dallas taking OL or trading down to get Brooks + OL. It seems every other year we use a first round pick on an OL. OL in the first and Brooks in the second also seems like a very plausible situation which means it is highly likely we don't even look to draft a defensive player until round 3.

We did absolutely nothing to address our terrible DT and LB groups. Are there no players that would be worth drafting at these positions at the end of the first round? I don't understand why no one at all is talking defense in the first (or even second) round.
I myself think if the highly project DTs drop they may take a leap at it. meaning if Byron Murphy drops otherwise the value for DT is in the 2nd and 3rd. LB is in play in the 2nd and 3rd

blueblood70

Reaction score
Id love a DT or top DE in rd 1 and then OL rd 2
No LB before rd 3
that doesn't make a lot of sense but you're entitled to your opinion

literally the last position we need is a top defensive end, we literally could use a day one starter an impact linebacker and yes you can pick those in the first round and I know Micah Parsons is not a full time off the ball linebacker but at 24 it'd be worth taking one if he's the best player available...

what do you mean none until the third round I mean drawing a line in the sand for one of the weakest areas and biggest need on the team is linebacker a true middle linebacker to replace Leighton vander ash but somebody even with more talent... It literally is the biggest hole we have on defense with a team that just got a new defensive coordinator that might use a lot of three linebacker sets , it would be the top position I would look for at 24 and Lester wasn't one worth it...

Aven8

Reaction score
I’m all about it. All the brass has talked about this offseason is strengthening the middle of the D. I don’t think Kendrick’s really did anything for that at 32 years old. Something’s got to give

visionary

Reaction score
that doesn't make a lot of sense but you're entitled to your opinion

literally the last position we need is a top defensive end, we literally could use a day one starter an impact linebacker and yes you can pick those in the first round and I know Micah Parsons is not a full time off the ball linebacker but at 24 it'd be worth taking one if he's the best player available...

what do you mean none until the third round I mean drawing a line in the sand for one of the weakest areas and biggest need on the team is linebacker a true middle linebacker to replace Leighton vander ash but somebody even with more talent... It literally is the biggest hole we have on defense with a team that just got a new defensive coordinator that might use a lot of three linebacker sets , it would be the top position I would look for at 24 and Lester wasn't one worth it...
Micah is a LB not a full time DE
Show me his sacks and pressures in the playoffs
He gets beat up by the time post season arrives and teams can easily negate him by running at him
Our LB room is not bad if Micah plays where he is supposed to and not where he wants to so he can get paid

We need a real DT badly, we dont have a single one that would start for a contender

We have 2 DEs, one close to end of his career and the other a rotational piece

If you think we need to pick LB in rd 1 over DT or DL then i cant waste my time teaching you the basics of football

heir

Reaction score

It depends on draft value. There aren't many top level DL in this draft, so at 24 the value is at OL and not DL and especially not LB.

Motorola

Reaction score

Because Dallas has shown the inability to identify good DL players this late in the 1st round. They are too infatuated with physical tools and disregard actual ability and intelligence/maturity.
Exhibit A___2017 - Taco Charlton
Exhibit B___2023 - Mazi Smith

Coogiguy03

Reaction score

two words, Mazi Smith!

Chasing6

Reaction score

Not a lot of 1st round defensive talent this year.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In football, the top three roster acquisition positions are:
  • Quarterback
  • Left tackle
  • Defensive End
All three are interchangeable in terms of importance according to any particular team. Regardless of opinion of their individual talent level, Dallas already fields a starting quarterback and (basically) two starting defensive ends. The glaring roster hole is at left tackle regardless of any future plans to slide Tyler Smith in that role.

Need for filling an essential roster acquisition will fuel the decision of going offense or defense. The need is higher for offense in the first round, especially concerning offensive linemen.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Because the cowboys pathetic inactivity in free agency has meant they basically have to draft OL because they don’t have anyone worth a lick to play either LT or center currently on the team.

If the FO wasn’t content with leaving glaring holes on the roster all the way into the draft, they could draft best player available. However we all know they are going to pick OL early because they basically have to.

Chasing6

Reaction score
In football, the top three roster acquisition positions are:
  • Quarterback
  • Left tackle
  • Defensive End
All three are interchangeable in terms of importance according to any particular team. Regardless of opinion of their individual talent level, Dallas already fields a starting quarterback and (basically) two starting defensive ends. The glaring roster hole is at left tackle regardless of any future plans to slide Tyler Smith in that role.

Need for filling an essential roster acquisition will fuel the decision of going offense or defense. The need is higher for offense in the first round, especially concerning offensive linemen.
That is debatable with Tyler Smith on the roster. Either way it does not mean you reach for a LT.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Because the cowboys pathetic inactivity in free agency has meant they basically have to draft OL because they don’t have anyone worth a lick to play either LT or center currently on the team.

If the FO wasn’t content with leaving glaring holes on the roster all the way into the draft, they could draft best player available. However we all know they are going to pick OL early because they basically have to.
no no no no no no, the cowboys DON"T draft for need!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is debatable with Tyler Smith on the roster. Either way it does not mean you reach for a LT.
Agreed. It is why I included the clarifier, "The need is higher for offense in the first round, especially concerning offensive linemen." I was referring to the possibility of Jones drafting a guard or center to bolster the line, especially with Smith potentially sliding out to left tackle.

In my opinion, several offensive positions are in play for the first round selection. It is not atypical for Jones to reach for a player as well, so that is something I am waiting to see might happen too.

vlad

Reaction score

I'm with you - our D-line seems worse off than our o-line. Our LBs are terrible.
These ppl will probably draft a RB

GoCowboysGo

Reaction score
My wish…

1. Zach Frazier
2. Christian Haynes
3. Jordan Jefferson

Reality is gonna be way different.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Agreed. It is why I included the clarifier, "The need is higher for offense in the first round, especially concerning offensive linemen." I was referring to the possibility of Jones drafting a guard or center to bolster the line, especially with Smith potentially sliding out to left tackle.

In my opinion, several offensive positions are in play for the first round selection. It is not atypical for Jones to reach for a player as well, so that is something I am waiting to see might happen too.
It could go many different ways. Just have to wait and see what falls to us. They better have multiple scenarios played out.

My guess with LT being a priority in the league, we will be looking at players with only potential at 24.

Hopefully I am wrong.

I also believe with all the Jerry talk of the young kids have to play, that their is a good chance, they are comfortable with rolling the dice with TJ Bass starting at LG.