Why no INT's?

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk;2305367 said:
I absolutely think "concede the short pass" is an accurate description. Look at the way Henry was playing against Moss last week. TBH, it's kind of ridiculous to have him on Moss in the first place, but unavoidable I suppose in some instances. It's not that he allowed Moss to reach a certain point and then engaged his coverage to play the receiver or the ball. No, he maintained a set cushion on Moss. All Moss had to do was stop and he was wide open.

That appears to be standard operating procedure for our corners.

And if it is set up to jump routes, then we get what Moss did to Newman last week - so not only are we conceding the short pass to allow our corners the chance to make plays, but we're leaving them open to double moves in a big way.

Alot of this could be avoided by simply finishing tackles on QBs in the backfield. Too many yahoos leaving their feet and bouncing off the QB.

Yes, we're 3-1, and yes, we're a fantastic team. But in this one specific area, we're deficient in a big way. It's either the players screwing up, or they're simply doing what they're told in which cases the coaching needs to change. I don't care which it is, but something is clearly wrong.

If newman ever plays like that again this season I will be shocked.

The new guys will take a while to figure it out. How many interceptions did Henry have this time last year?

Its a time in the system thing, wade has already proven that his system works.

superpunk

Reaction score
stealth;2305656 said:
If newman ever plays like that again this season I will be shocked.

The new guys will take a while to figure it out. How many interceptions did Henry have this time last year?

Its a time in the system thing, wade has already proven that his system works.
"Works" is a relative term in this context. It can be effective if executed correctly, but something is definitely wrong now, and it can't be narrowed down to just Newman just last sunday.

I will submit that we're a few missed sacks away from 4-0 and a dominating defense, though. If you think about where those misses came, and what the resulting plays were, we're talking about more than a few points off those missed sacks.

The players need to start finishing. Start with tackles and sacks and games are an inevitable by-product. I blame their shoddy performance thus far far more than anything the coaching staff is doing on defense. Wade and Brian Stewart aren't the ones out there whiffing on Jason Campbell and Donovan McNabb allowing big plays downfield.

stealth

Benched
Reaction score
I guess what I have been trying to say is its more on the players not executing than the coaches.

We seem to be on the same page there.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Brushing aside all the Wade and Campo suck and/or are stupid, you can understand why they are doing it. If you have one of the best offenses in the league where you can outscore anyone then you can afford to make teams dink and dunk. The odds favor a team that can make teams march 80 yards to score.

Add that to the fact TNew is not 100%, AJ is still learning the defense and knocking the rust off, and Scandrick, Jenkins, Ball are too inexperienced to play press coverage really well right now. And our safeties aren't the best in the league despite Pro Bowl invitations.

When our rush gets mature and consistent and the CBs get more experience then they can play more aggressively.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
hutru01;2305388 said:
Just kidding, Newman is still a decent CB even though he got raped my Moss a couple times last week.

Neman allowed only one catch to Moss.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
well its kinda simple why we are not getting INT's. It's a combination of a couple things. The first is that our CB's play so far off that we are giving up the short passes and its impossible to break on a short slant route or any other short route when there is at times more than a 5 yard cushion.

Second is something that combined with the soft coverage it just makes it more difficult and thats that most interceptions are a result of pressure coming from the INSIDE up the middle and where does our pressure come from well the OUTSIDE obviously. There's nothing wrong with that but when the pressure is coming from the inside it makes it difficult for the QB to see the field because they have multiple defenders blocking their vision as they rush in. So a lot of times if u have great pressure up the middle with tight coverage its either gonna be a sack or a chance for an interception because half the time the QB throws it up not fully knowing what's going on. Now counter that with what we are doing. Our speciality is our outside pass rush with Ware and Ellis/Spencer. When the pressure is coming from the outside you can still get as much pressure as coming from the inside but the huge difference is that the QB line of sight as clear as can be so if the pressure does not get there the QB has an open area to throw the ball especially against us where out coverage is giving the offense 5-8 free open yardage underneath trying not to get deep. Or if the pressure does get there most of the time the QB does not see it so obviously their not gonna throw the ball if they have no idea they are about to get hit (obviously this is the reason LT's are so important because they protect the QB's blind side). And when they do see it well our guys are so poor tacklers that QB have been getting away and making plays which is something that you cant blame completely on the secondary.

So my suggestion which obviously wont be listened to lol by the coaching staff but my suggestion would be to blitz more up the middle. The game i remember that we had some success blitzing up the middle was against the Browns. i thought some of our best pressure was on those blitzes up the middle with Zach Thomas they caused Anderson's worst throws of the day! Also like everyone here has suggested tighten the coverage we have the playmakers no excuse not to use them at their strenghts!

hutru01

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2305728 said:
Neman allowed only one catch to Moss.

I was referring to when Moss burnt him on a couple of occasions, one he caught, the other ball being overthrown. ;)

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
superpunk;2305367 said:
I absolutely think "concede the short pass" is an accurate description. Look at the way Henry was playing against Moss last week. TBH, it's kind of ridiculous to have him on Moss in the first place, but unavoidable I suppose in some instances. It's not that he allowed Moss to reach a certain point and then engaged his coverage to play the receiver or the ball. No, he maintained a set cushion on Moss. All Moss had to do was stop and he was wide open.

That appears to be standard operating procedure for our corners.

And if it is set up to jump routes, then we get what Moss did to Newman last week - so not only are we conceding the short pass to allow our corners the chance to make plays, but we're leaving them open to double moves in a big way.

Alot of this could be avoided by simply finishing tackles on QBs in the backfield. Too many yahoos leaving their feet and bouncing off the QB.

Yes, we're 3-1, and yes, we're a fantastic team. But in this one specific area, we're deficient in a big way. It's either the players screwing up, or they're simply doing what they're told in which cases the coaching needs to change. I don't care which it is, but something is clearly wrong.
agree if Ware would've gotten a better hold of Campbell Newman might have had a pick or Ware would've had the sack. I think our corners fear jumping routes cause our front 7 has been terrible at tackling the qb.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
sureletsrace;2305021 said:
If I recall correctly, us and the Lions are the only teams without an interception so far this year. What gives?

We have guys that can get the damn ball.

:bang2: ::cough::Henry, Newman::cough::

If you are 10-15 yards off the nearest WR.... you are not even in the same timezone to INT a pass. Unless you get lucky and read it and start early from your cushion.

QFT - yeah I quoted myself for truth :D

30yrheel

Reaction score
you're supposed to get MORE int's from zones. we're not the only team that plays zone, just maybe it's the personnel?

Hoofbite

Reaction score
stealth;2305065 said:
Interceptions seem to come in bunches, one of these days we will have a run of interceptions and it will even out for the year, stats wise.

I could care less though so long as we win a few more games than we lose.

I don't care much to get a load of interceptions against crappy teams and have the D not be able to do anything against tough opponents.

This D has the talent to be the best in the league. Unfortunately theres a problem. System, players, whatever. Something is missing. I think what is missing is a leader and killer instinct.

Its not like Dallas is the only team to run a zone.

I think the players need to start being more accountable for giving up plays. Sure the coverage scheme may not be the best but that doesn't explain why the pass rush is still inconsistent and players are missing tackles left and right.

I would rather see a man scheme. I think it would help but theres enough talent to make any scheme work. The players need to start taking a little pride in what they are doing and start getting the job done.