Why not call up Gathers for Mayle?

Reaction score
I see absolutely no reason for Mayle to be on the active roster. He cannot block, except when holding. Maybe he does a bit as a ST coverage guy. But why not call up Gathers? Give him a limited set of 3rd TE plays. He has got to be athletic enough to block at the goalline or on 3rd and 1, and run an out pattern. Plus, he is such a huge target and mismatch in the redzone. Again, you could put a play or two in for him. Mayle adds nothing, and has subtracted the past two weeks.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
He is a gunner. And had a good hit last week. But cmon, we can find someone else for that role.

Not so easy. Frazier plays like a dumb ace out there, think headless chicken. Rico barely understands the offense and your going to add specials to his plate?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Mayle's miscue on the blocking penalty won't cause the staff to do him any favors by utilizing him in the game to come. He'll have to find a way to vindicate himself from that mistake before being allowed to make further appearances. I'll leave it up to the staff to decide what course of action to take in deciding between himself and Gathers to be our utility man. I don't know if Gathers is serviceable on the ST or not. Maybe the staff does.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mayle's miscue on the blocking penalty won't cause the staff to do him any favors by utilizing him in the game to come. He'll have to find a way to vindicate himself from that mistake before being allowed to make further appearances. I'll leave it up to the staff to decide what course of action to take in deciding between himself and Gathers to be our utility man. I don't know if Gathers is serviceable on the ST or not. Maybe the staff does.
What did Mayle do wrong in the Tampa game? I can't remember the penalty.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see absolutely no reason for Mayle to be on the active roster. He cannot block, except when holding. Maybe he does a bit as a ST coverage guy. But why not call up Gathers? Give him a limited set of 3rd TE plays. He has got to be athletic enough to block at the goalline or on 3rd and 1, and run an out pattern. Plus, he is such a huge target and mismatch in the redzone. Again, you could put a play or two in for him. Mayle adds nothing, and has subtracted the past two weeks.
Gregory and/or La'el might get activated.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
What did Mayle do wrong in the Tampa game? I can't remember the penalty.

He got a holding penalty that cost us 10 yards on one of our offensive miscues. The officials blamed it on #16 and that was Mayle.

T-RO

Reaction score
He got a holding penalty that cost us 10 yards on one of our offensive miscues. The officials blamed it on #16 and that was Mayle.

Didn't it also bring back a big gainer? I think it was a lot more than just 10 yards.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True. But we really need a productive 3rd TE. We have missed Swaim dearly.
He might be physically ready but the 2nd TE is a complicated position mentally and it is doubtful that he is ready. They've had guys (in TC) that played TE in college that could physically block fairly well but couldn't master the mental and timing aspects of the position.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Maybe if Collins gets activated he'll fill that role, but got to get the mistakes cleaned up.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Didn't it also bring back a big gainer? I think it was a lot more than just 10 yards.

Very possible, although I can't recall the details to that extent. Anyhow, I had to look up #16 to see who it was -- lol.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Was that the first drive? My TV signal cut out for a few minutes during their first possession.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Was that the first drive? My TV signal cut out for a few minutes during their first possession.

According to rpatricc, it was on the 1st possession. I'm taking his word for it, though. Anyhow, it was costly, as we settled for a FG.