Why not grab Baker Mayfield? Dak may not be the answer

plymkr

Reaction score
No Mayfield but Garopolo would do.
I would like Garopolo if Dak fell on his face this year. I'd like to bring him in as a backup/competition for Dak. But the price tag would be too much for him as a backup. Cam Newton as a backup would be good. He would be cheap and hopefully never sees the field but if he does I have more confidence in Newton than Rush.

GINeric

Reaction score
I would love to bring in a solid veteran who could push Dak and light a fire under his feet, but to say Mayfield is better than Dak is truly hilarious.

basel90

Reaction score
I recall typing "at this point in their careers" Dak, Manning, and Brees only had ONE playoff win. Stafford had zero

I do recall typing "AT THAT POINT IN THEIR CAREERS", meaning after 5 or 6 seasons.... Dak, Peyton and Drew ALL only had one playoff win under their belt. Matt Stafford had ZERO wins.

So I wouldn't compare Dak to a seasoned Manning and Brees, but Stafford is right there with Dak. I'll give Stafford the edge for having a better deep ball, but shouldn't Stafford be much better than Dak than he is??? He's been in the NFL like 12 or 13 years. Dak has only played 5 full seasons... yep thats a fair comparison.

It is fair to compare each quarterback around their 5th season. The numbers don't lie. They had one playoff win just like Dak did.
stafford played 11 years at the worst franchise in history . Dak played 5 years in the weakest division in the nfl .
No expert or coach would pick dak over stafford even at the same stage in their career.
The simple fact is that the cowboys overpaid Dak and we are finding out he has serious limitations . The long parade of excuses is coming to and end. Even the staunchest Dak supporters in the media are disappointed. PFF just published a report that dak is not even a top 3 on the cowboys roster!!! at 42 mil , that is crazy.
I hope you turn out to be right and dak leads the cowboys at least to the CCG in the coming year or 2 , but even the cowboys fans are not seeing that happen with Dak.

terra

Reaction score
I believe baker at a reasonable 15-20 million contract will be a far better option for the cowboys in the next 4-6 years than Dak .
Mayfield can ignite this offense and make better use of the receivers and OL we have .
Not to mention that dak has become injury prone, and has wild inconsistencies and slumps during the season.
Talk about failing Football 101. And those that liked this post of crap failed as well.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
jerry is all in on dak lol
we cant trade dak unless he agreed to a trade.

Jerry would hesitate on taking mahomes, so he isnt going to take any other qb.

Hagman

Put Niland and Green in the ROH
Reaction score
stafford played 11 years at the worst franchise in history . Dak played 5 years in the weakest division in the nfl .
No expert or coach would pick dak over stafford even at the same stage in their career.
The simple fact is that the cowboys overpaid Dak and we are finding out he has serious limitations . The long parade of excuses is coming to and end. Even the staunchest Dak supporters in the media are disappointed. PFF just published a report that dak is not even a top 3 on the cowboys roster!!! at 42 mil , that is crazy.
I hope you turn out to be right and dak leads the cowboys at least to the CCG in the coming year or 2 , but even the cowboys fans are not seeing that happen with Dak.

You talked me into it. I’d take Matt Stanford over Dak Prescott. But Baker Mayfield? Pfffffttttt.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Let's not kid ourselves -- it will take a highly elite QB to help this team to qualify for Super Bowl appearances. The Cowboys FO just isn't able to supply the level of competency to ordinarily reach that plateau. It'll take someone on the level of Tom Brady, or the like, to attain such success for us. Will this team ever be so fortunate as to enjoy that blessing? Pray your collective fannies off for it. Only in the best of times could it happen! C'mon good times! ;)

Last edited:

GINeric

Reaction score

Listen, Dak has many things he has to improve on and MUST take another big step this year, no question. But its hilarious that Dak is expected to be elite after 5 full seasons of football as a 4th round pick... but yet he's mysteriously held to higher standards in some people eyes than FIRST round drafted quarterbacks after just 5 or 6 seasons.

I dont buy the excuse that Stafford wasn't successful because of where he played for 11 years. If he was a great quarterback, he would have elevated his team pass most of their short comings. So I can't fully give him that excuse.

Now on the flip side, Brady as great as he is, had the benefit of playing in a historically weak division for over a decade. Must've been nice huh....

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why not grab Baker Mayfield? Dak may not be the answer
tenor.gif

tyke1doe

Reaction score
playoff win at Pittsburgh 2021 season , and almost beat the Chiefs away as well.
So your lone example is a wild card game in which the Steelers turned to ball over FIVE TIMES, four by Big Ben, giving the Browns great field position, an overwhelming lead and smooth sailing throughout the remainder of that game?
Oh, and Dak ALMOST beat the Chiefs and the 49ers too. ;)

Not to mention i saw Dak vs Baker here in dallas in 2020.
You do know that in 2020 the Cowboys had their worst defense EVER!? Heck, Joe Namath could have suited up and thrown six touchdown passes against that defense. Sorry, base, but that aerial display by Baker isn't a great example. EVERYBODY scored against the Cowboys defense - at will and in droves.:laugh::(

I think at 15-20 mil a year, baker is worth a shot over a declining QB costing 42 Mil .
I'm not going to even argue this point. Baker isn't coming here. Dak is Jerry's quarterback. He's not going to have Dak looking over his shoulder (not that Dak should be scared of Baker). That's likely why Cam Newton wasn't signed, and why we're not going to bring in a quarterback who could disrupt the chemistry of this team or Dak's relationship with his teammates, his offensive coordinator and the front office.
It just aint happening.

Flamma

Reaction score
I believe baker at a reasonable 15-20 million contract will be a far better option for the cowboys in the next 4-6 years than Dak .
Mayfield can ignite this offense and make better use of the receivers and OL we have .
Not to mention that dak has become injury prone, and has wild inconsistencies and slumps during the season.

I'll give you the reason. Dak has to be here for 2-3 more years before he can be released due to dead cap. They also can't pay another quarterback 15-20M a year while at the same time paying Dak 40M a year. Does that answer your question as to why not grab Matfield?

conner01

Reaction score
I believe some people on this board are brain dead
Mayfield lol

conner01

Reaction score
Baker is SO GOOD….that Cleveland gave DeShaun Watson $230M FULLY GUARANTEED even though he may be suspended.

:facepalm:
Not to mention all the picks they gave
Or all the interest they’ve been getting to get the great Baker Mayfield
Not even a 7th offered lol