Why not grab Baker Mayfield? Dak may not be the answer

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Say what you want about Baker, but at least he is not accused of fondling 24 massage therapists and carrying around his own special towel. Cleveland has done themselves in. Talk about being disgruntled in the locker room! Who the hell in their right mind would follow a degenerate alleged sex abuser?!
well, yeah, maybe, but there is that video he smacked his girlfriend.....

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
no defense fears dak , and by the way no team would have paid him 40 mil . We are seeing what dak can do ... he folds. Dak in cleveland would have been toast by year 1 .

:lmao::lmao2::laugh:…..Unbelievable.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Yes when healthy he is better than dak , who i think has peaked and on the decline.
Have you watched mayfield lead the browns to a big win at the cowboys home turf ? or Mayfield win a playoff game on the road ( which dak does not have on his resume) , and i watched baker beat Joe Borough and cincinati at their stadium big time the year before. When healthy , he can be a bargain at 15-20 mil.
how is he better than Dak when healthy...nothing out there shows any slightest of evidence that he played better. had the better OL. had really good WR. their TE is the one the cowboys wanted to sign, better running game and had better defense, all his stats and win record is worse than the cowboys.

a bargain? so you complain on the one hand that Stephen is cheap. on the other hand you go bargain shopping. you know if your goal is to tank, you can do it at 4-5M. you can bring Dalton back and he can get us to 4 wins easily. and you don't have to spend 15M.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
There are 2 problems:

1. Dak had already been restructured twice, meaning the dead money on his contract is so enormous, you can’t realistically cut/trade him for the entire duration of his deal. His dead cap each year remaining is more than his AAV; you lose salary cap space by not keeping him (it’s actually even worse than that, but that gets a bit complicated as to why). It ends in 2025, and it’s designed in such a way that if you don’t re-sign him to a longterm extension before then, you’ll immediately take a 20m$ cap hit… even though he’s a free agent. That’s more than Baker is even making. So Dak has to be the longterm QB, financially.

2. Baker is only on the books for 18m$ This year. If you want him for 4-6 years, you’ll then have to explain to his agent that you’re valuing him higher than a QB who’s being paid 40m$ a year. He then can just hold out, knowing you’ve put all your eggs in his basket, in which the franchise tag for 2023 will likely be around 35m$ due to the Stafford deal.

This means that you have to pay him no less than 42m$ annually on an extension, as that would be what his salary is on the second franchise tag, which is a 20% bump up from the first one. Players don’t typically take pay cuts on franchise tags when they know they will get 42m$ the second time they get tagged.

But let’s say Baker is a very reasonable guy (which he hasn’t really shown to this point), and he meets you in the middle. You get him for your 4-6 years at just under 40m$. That means you will be paying 2 QBs a combined 80m$ over the next 3 years, and 60m$ in 2025. Literally impossible is the closest terminology to properly explaining this hypothesis.
I understood the money at the time, it was the no Tag/Trade clause that was most disturbing honestly.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
you seem to be very emotionally invested in dak and immature. Cincinnati is a serious team that made it to the super bowl and was almost winning it a few months ago. But you seem to want to focus on how great dak is ?? please stop.
yeah, that cinci. the cinci that had the #1 over all pick.....so now you making me think. perhaps getting suckyfield may help get us to that #1 over all....interesting strategy.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Baker is an above average back up in this league. Took a few years, but the league has figured it out.
:hammer:

his next 2 or 3 years will be going from team to team. interim starter maybe, then he will be an expensive backup for some team who thinks they are ready and want to hedge their bets in case of injury....and he will go from team to team as a top backup....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
playoff win at Pittsburgh 2021 season , and almost beat the Chiefs away as well.
Not to mention i saw Dak vs Baker here in dallas in 2020.
I think at 15-20 mil a year, baker is worth a shot over a declining QB costing 42 Mil .
Dak played defense? wow, when did that happen..oh, you mean Suckyfield played defense...wait..hmmm, no that didn't happen neither...oh, you mean when Dallas literally had the worse defense....in HISTORY of NFL. that defense. that gave up 35 points in a half...the defense that gave up 200 yards rushing IN THE FIRST HALF....that defense. oookkk thenn

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The OP is a legit question if it was plausible. It isn't. Everyone has their opinions in regards to quarterbacks, and lets face it, it's not like Dak will be wearing a gold jacket in his lifetime. Me personally, I'm not crazy about that runt Baker.
not sure why everyone keeps bashing Dak about not being HOF worthy QB. there aren't that many around each season... and teams have gotten to the superbowl and won with not gold jacketed QBs. its not like it never happens. you just have to have the right team. as that one post said, some QBs you win because of ala, Stafford, Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers and some QBs you win with...and Dak is in that second group.

and I am sure somebody will say salary, so now he is what? 7th highest. next year 10th highest....and we have 25M on the cap that we could have spent and didn't. the issue isn't the contract and its market value....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
most of Dak yards in this game and many similar , were in futile desperate comeback attempts , when the other team had already secured the win by halftime. A model we haver seen with Dak against many many teams , all end up in losses. see the broncos and cardinals and many other games in Dak's career. We are tired of losses with dak. He just does not have the ability to overcome adversity during games. He is a one trick pony. if his main reciever is not open it is panic time and fumbles and wild throws.
so let me get this straight. he has some of the higher stats, etc..... he has a winning record and if not for 2020, has never had a losing season. and its all because its garbage time stats....losing but collecting stats in losing games...

so how does that go again? you win a lot of games, 13, 12, etc...but you have garbage time stats because you lost a lot of games.....

question and I am really serious. what color is the sky in your world? and how is that Basil you smoked?