Why not grab Baker Mayfield? Dak may not be the answer

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
well said . At least Mayfield took a 1-36 team into the playoff within one season . Mayfield had a bad season due to injury and OBJ issues. But should come back better.
Dak is taking the cowboys on a downward trajectory.
Dak took a 4-12 team to the playoffs his 1st season. What's your point?

BermyStar

Reaction score
I aint gonna clown the suggestion because stranger things have happened. The premise of picking up a once promising QB who has fallen on hard times and really just needs a change of sceneray at a discounted price makes hella sense... Baker just aint that dude imho.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
If I were to base what I think of a QB off one of their worst couple games last year I would think Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Brady, Rodgers, and even Stafford are all scrubs. There is a reason one looks at the full body of work.
well even if I look at the full body from last season, dak doesnt look too good.
he had a good start, then went down the tubes then beat up on wash and phil, then got controlled by 9ers.
I dont really look at rankings or stats anymore, they are flawed and inaccurate.

basel90

Reaction score
at some point you would think they would stop, but some people will keep doing for a decade !! 6 years in and 4 more to make it a decade lol.
maybe dak getting good enough is a process too ??:huh::thumbup:
exactly , seems like the jason garrett experience. for jerry it is business as usual.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I aint gonna clown the suggestion because stranger things have happened. The premise of picking up a once promising QB who has fallen on hard times and really just needs a change of sceneray at a discounted price makes hella sense... Baker just aint that dude imho.

Has not shown it so far, and again comming to this franchise as the QB does not "Lighten the load" when your trying to rebuild a QB mind frame.

basel90

Reaction score
This is true and if you could get a better QB now then do it, this is why the ABD crowd get my use some logic comment. Baker has had one of the best ground games and defenses in the league last couple years and done nothing....why would he be the upgrade...the "we would save 20 mill" is false as he and Dak will make basically the same this year and this FO has done nothing with the cap space we currently have...again this is not about Dak defense, its about why Baker he has shown nothing with a better regarded roster.
all good points and no guarantee baker would succeed here or anywhere else. but there is the possibility the situation in cleveleand was toxic it seems and he can turn things around with a new team , similar to the tannehil situation when he joined Tennesse as Dandydon said.

basel90

Reaction score
Thats my point, if you think Dak needs perfect around him and the Browns probably have a better system around Baker..how is Baker the answer. Again keep Dak or dont I am saying Baker is not the answer, not unless you believe he has been held back by this Browns team which i believe would be a hard theory to sell.
we will never know exactly . Dak had the best years out of zeke and the top OL and we got a measly 1 win at home in the playofffs. last 2 years Dak had better receivers and arguably better OL . So there is an argument both ways. But i know the last 2 years the browns had a better running game.
Dak looked terrible in front of decent teams , and his inability to win or get the ball when it mattered to Cee Dee and Amari was very hard to watch and cost the team ultimately. Aikman's first remark after the 49ers loss eluded to that , clearly a reference to Dak not able to read defenses and make clutch decisions.

BermyStar

Reaction score
Has not shown it so far, and again comming to this franchise as the QB does not "Lighten the load" when your trying to rebuild a QB mind frame.
Too true, if he thought the scrutiny in Cleveland, Ohio (no diss I spent 5 years in Xenia) was too much, playing for America's Team would bury him alive.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Ok jokes aside here is kinda what you said: Tann's Dolphin teams had the same talent level these Browns teams have had...And ...Comming to the Cowboys organisation right now can be viewed as a good culture move for a player...again I dont think you really believe either of those is true.
I also dont know what type of person baker is or his work ethic, or his desire to win. Any of those would matter if I was going to bring him here.
But again this is all moot, because jerry would never do it, he isnt bringing in any qb's, much less a potential starter.
jerry and his boy want a guy like rush behind dak, cheap and no competition for dak, and no controversy .

I dont like that because it is a long season now, and it is hard for qb's to not get beat up or have lingering issues.
I would rather have someone who can play a few games and give my starter a rest at certain points in season.
or maybe against certain teams, your bkup might match up better with certain teams.

like last season when dak was struggling and hurting they just kept playing him, not smart.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
we will never know exactly . Dak had the best years out of zeke and the top OL and we got a measly 1 win at home in the playofffs. last 2 years Dak had better receivers and arguably better OL . So there is an argument both ways. But i know the last 2 years the browns had a better running game.
Dak looked terrible in front of decent teams , and his inability to win or get the ball when it mattered to Cee Dee and Amari was very hard to watch and cost the team ultimately. Aikman's first remark after the 49ers loss eluded to that , clearly a reference to Dak not able to read defenses and make clutch decisions.

I get it, you want another QB, but again you have to be stretch armstrong to make an argument that Baker is better and has just been in a bad situatuion with a better team... and OBJ is not a bad WR he just needed a QB and found one as Baker was blaming him for the problems. So if you think Cooper is good and just needed a QB then its crazy to not say the same thing about the OBJ/Baker situation..right?

coult44

Reaction score
I believe baker at a reasonable 15-20 million contract will be a far better option for the cowboys in the next 4-6 years than Dak .
Mayfield can ignite this offense and make better use of the receivers and OL we have .
Not to mention that dak has become injury prone, and has wild inconsistencies and slumps during the season.

I’m not sure Dak can take Us to the Super Bowl with his play, but he’s a solid 10 out of 10 in the leadership department. Mayfield is a bottom 10 QB, and leadership would be better from an 8 year old Pop Warner kid.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
yeah and the kurt warner teaching videos, showed dak to be not that smart, and kellen to be also not too smart.
Dallas makes a lot of mistakes before the game even starts !

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I’m not sure Dak can take Us to the Super Bowl with his play, but he’s a solid 10 out of 10 in the leadership department. Mayfield is a bottom 10 QB, and leadership would be better from an 8 year old Pop Warner kid.
I dont know about baker, but I think the whole dak is a great leader is a flawed myth !
just because the other players , maybe not all of them though like him , that just means he is well liked by most of the players, not a great leader.
Being a leader requires other things besides being liked.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I also dont know what type of person baker is or his work ethic, or his desire to win. Any of those would matter if I was going to bring him here.
But again this is all moot, because jerry would never do it, he isnt bringing in any qb's, much less a potential starter.
jerry and his boy want a guy like rush behind dak, cheap and no competition for dak, and no controversy .

I dont like that because it is a long season now, and it is hard for qb's to not get beat up or have lingering issues.
I would rather have someone who can play a few games and give my starter a rest at certain points in season.
or maybe against certain teams, your bkup might match up better with certain teams.

like last season when dak was struggling and hurting they just kept playing him, not smart.

Baker may never be a good backup he has been unstable in handling the starting position stress and has clearly shown he will cause waves if things dont go his way. I dont see any upside in Baker (who really hasn't handled the Browns starting QB job good) Comming to the pressure cooker that is Dallas Cowboys QB and doing better. The signs are there he just doesnt have the mental makeup for it so far. They gave up 3 first and signed a record deal to get a guy that may not see the field this year just to not have Baker...think about that.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
He will be what mid 30’s by then …well he has this year and next to get this team the respect around the league winners get , first round exits from playoffs should not generate more art galley $$
We need a return on investment, and we are rolling with Dak
He will be what mid 30’s by then …well he has this year and next to get this team the respect around the league winners get , first round exits from playoffs should not generate more art galley $$
Basically you just grab and invest in any upside potential franchise QB, at this point the argument on rather or not Dak is a franchise QB should be mute.
Dak can really be good in this system if Moore designs a system that fits what he is trying to do, and honestly with the current offensive personal Im having a hard time drawing up a game plan at this point if Im being honest.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Why couldn't our 160 million $$$$$ QB keep up with the Browns from Q # 1 to # 3??????
Where was our fearless leader when the Browns were piling up those points???
Yes, we understand as Dak needs a PERFECT day by all around him to win?:oops:
:huh: huh?

what does money have to do with it....everything with you comes down to money.... so if a QB gets paid 1M per season. is your expectations that he could suck and its OK?

I don't follow your (lack of) line of logic......

what is it with you and your utter hatred of Dak....quite concerning. sounds, seems and comes across as very personal. I said it before and you keep showing signs of it being personal. why?

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
We need a return on investment, and we are rolling with Dak

Basically you just grab and invest in any upside potential franchise QB, at this point the argument on rather or not Dak is a franchise QB should be mute.
Dak can really be good in this system if Moore designs a system that fits what he is trying to do, and honestly with the current offensive personal Im having a hard time drawing up a game plan at this point if Im being honest.

If this 0-line cant right itself there may not be a good plan...but again i still ask why we are the only team in the NFL over the last 10+ years that needs 1st round picks at every o-line position to have a good offense..lol. Its crazy 2 all pro o-line and servicable rest should be just fine.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You are too impressed with dak and don't want any discussion about alternatives. I get it.
Get another coffee and stop dreaming he will take this franchise to a super bowl.
no, in fact you are farthest from understanding me....I am not impressed, plenty of criticism. but I don't want to replace dak with a pile of shiet. because the pile of shiet smells much worse.....that's all.

there is no way in heck anyone gets to smell superbowl with Suckyfield. zero chance. care to bet on it?