Why Not Hire Urban Now?

Flamma

Reaction score
Losing draft picks for not following NFL procedure. Rooney rule comes to mind.

This could be the Rooney rule's downside. If an owner has his mind set on a particular coach, who wants to be the sacrificial lamb getting called in to waste their time on a formality?

conner01

Reaction score
I’m sure Urban Meyer does NOT want to be micromanaged. He’s known to be a very strong willed and independent thinker. He’s clashed occasionally with university presidents and Athletic directors. I honestly can’t see a coach with the independence and accomplishments of Meyer wanting to join this dysfunctional circus centered 100% on a 77 year old egomaniac.
That is very possibly the case though I would think if he’s not interested he’d said something by now

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When is the last time an outside head coach took a job in the middle of a season?

Doesn't happen.
Exactly. An outside coach wants to start fresh being able to do things his way from the second he walks through the door. He does not want to have to start his time with a team forced to work within the confines of what has failed with the previous coach.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Sean Payton signed a 4 year, $45 million extension in September. Don't get your hopes up.
I heard it on NBC sports radio. Simms talked about it with this host...it’s a real possibility.

bb721

Reaction score
He can't.
The Rooney rule requires that a black candidate be interviewed before any head coach can be signed on.
So it's a two week process, at least.

It has to be a minority candidate, not necessarily a black candidate. For example, Ron Rivera qualifies.

Wolfpack

Reaction score
If you are Urban, why would you want to jump into this clown show? No reason what so ever. He(Meyer) gains nothing and looses any advantage he may need when it comes time to talk about control. Jerry needs him more than he needs Jerry.

This is basically high school level dating with slightly higher stakes.

kskboys

Reaction score
If you are Urban, why would you want to jump into this clown show? No reason what so ever. He(Meyer) gains nothing and looses any advantage he may need when it comes time to talk about control. Jerry needs him more than he needs Jerry.

This is basically high school level dating with slightly higher stakes.
Urban has publicly stated that HC of the Cowboys is the top of summit. You might be surprised.

Doomsay

Reaction score
Why not trade a valuable player ...... ever? Because your owner is a clown and a social coward.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seriously?

What’s the worst that can happen?
The Cowboys are still in contention to win the division. They are unlikely to fire Garrett before they are out of content or before they lose in the playoffs.

shabazz

Reaction score
Even if there wasn't a Rooney Rule it wouldn't make sense for Urban to come in now. Why would he even want to?

This is JG's team, for better or worse. Hopefully it'll be his last.

As a legal minimum, does the name "Urban", in and of itself, qualify as meeting the spirit of the Rooney rule? I don't know the legality of these things

conner01

Reaction score
He may have already said privately he’s not interested.
Possible
But he knows the media is running with it
Maybe he likes hearing himself in the media and has no interest, that is possible