Why not just start Trey Lance?

b0xZZ

Reaction score
Dak is gone, the writing is on the wall and before you say he gives us the best chance to win this year, I agree, he is going to win more meaningless regular season games and if this team is fortunate to make the playoffs he isn't going to take us to a superbowl, that's not going to happen with this current team regardless and I think most everyone agrees with that take.

So starting Dak net's you nothing and actually hurts the 25 draft stock. Give Lance a true year of evaluation, the worst that can happen is the team goes 0-17 has the top pick or top five pick and free of Dak's cap hit. Or start Dak, win a few games, know nothing about Lance's ability and end up with a middle to late round first.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Well he actually has to throw some passes in a meaningful practice or something! From what they'e said about him, he's already looking good etc, but that's in their eyes I guess. I would love for us fans to get a chance to see some of him!

I'll say this, if he gets in practices, and games and the VETS and players start to favor him more, ooooooooooooh boy, that AUGUST contract may not happen! lol

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I would have wholeheartedly disagreed with that thought, but at this point I'm not sure how they don't go this route? The Cowboys approach of asking Dak to win with less is not good for either party. If he's not coming back in 2025 it really is best to cut ties now, see what if anything you have in Lance now, and go from there. If they are not actively trying to improve the roster there is no sense in giving Dak a talent starved offense to win 8 games instead of 6 with.

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Because you run the risk of losing the locker room. Too many players and coaches have their futures tied up in this season to want to see what the backup has for next year because if Dallas doesn't win this year most of them won't be back next year.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Dak is gone, the writing is on the wall and before you say he gives us the best chance to win this year, I agree, he is going to win more meaningless regular season games and if this team is fortunate to make the playoffs he isn't going to take us to a superbowl, that's not going to happen with this current team regardless and I think most everyone agrees with that take.

So starting Dak net's you nothing and actually hurts the 25 draft stock. Give Lance a true year of evaluation, the worst that can happen is the team goes 0-17 has the top pick or top five pick and free of Dak's cap hit. Or start Dak, win a few games, know nothing about Lance's ability and end up with a middle to late round first.
The Joneses think the Cowboys can win the Super Bowl with Dak. They are telling the truth on that statement even though people disagree on this board.

b0xZZ

Reaction score
Because you run the risk of losing the locker room. Too many players and coaches have their futures tied up in this season to want to see what the backup has for next year because if Dallas doesn't win this year most of them won't be back next year.
Yea maybe so but if you lose players because of it were they really worth keeping anyway? I'm pretty sure the players can tell that this is a lame duck year anyway with Mccarthy and Dak on final years and next to no FA activity. If this is the route we are going we should be auditioning not just Lance but a lot of younger guys to see what we have going forward.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
The Joneses think the Cowboys can win the Super Bowl with Dak. They are telling the truth on that statement even though people disagree on this board.
I don't disagree that they can win a superbowl with Dak, but if they truly believe they can have the offseason they have had so far, hit on the draft and bottom tier free agents and then win a super bowl with Dak this franchise is truly in deep trouble.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Honestly is that even a concern at this point? This team is most likely set up for a total coaching staff overhaul after this year anyways.

To be honest if I'm an offensive coach on this staff I might actually like my chances of keeping my job with having lower expectations that Lance would bring. Despite not doing anything in free agency it's probably still going to require a couple playoff wins for Jerry to bring MM back. With Lance could 8 wins with signs of progression from a young QB be enough for Jerry to keep this staff around to continue building?

Qcard

Reaction score

Do you remember when Cooper Rush‘s arm went pop Warner after 4 starts??

Trey Lance doesn’t have the mental make-up to handle an NFL lockerroom under the scrutiny of Dallas and National Media…

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is this simple. Additionally, they believe the current team, after the castoffs, is capable of getting to the playoffs. After that, Dallas has as good a chance as any other to win it all.

It does not matter what outsiders think. It is what they think. Their overall end goal has not changed--only their strategy in achieving it.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
So **** the locker room. Rebuild means new guys anyways. Be open, be transparent about what you're planning and see who wants to leave. Then trade them for even more draft picks.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Actually they are lying or are delusional at minimum despite what some homers think.

Now what?

They're all just opinions man. Yes the Jones boys pay for the music so they decide what's on. And yes, basically any team can win the Superbowl by any streak of luck. But Dak had 8 years to show what he's capable of and that's not it. ;)

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I don't disagree that they can win a superbowl with Dak, but if they truly believe they can have the offseason they have had so far, hit on the draft and bottom tier free agents and then win a super bowl with Dak this franchise is truly in deep trouble.
Good points. I am starting to believe the Joneses were as upset as the fan base after the disaster at home to the Packers. I think Jerry said fine, Dak if you want an extension prove it by taking this team to the Super Bowl. I think he is telling CeeDee and Micah the same thing. The Joneses are getting their books in order. I don’t think CeeDee is going to get a deal either but they will tag him next offseason. Same with Micah. Do you remember how uncomfortable Jerry was when he did the contract press conference with Dak. Jerry looked like Uncle Scrooge if you took 1 gold coin out of his vault.

jujoboys

Reaction score

Dak being gone is a huge assumption. They have plenty of time to work out an extension. You guys should really stop listening to Jerry. He will say in one interview that Dak is the QB of the future and then follow it up in another interview with Dak is under contract and we will see it goes. He just likes people talking about what he is saying and talking about the Cowboys. Just like he did with that "All In" comment. No one has a clue about what Jerry plans on doing with Dak and that is what Jerry likes. It keeps him in the news. The only games Lance will be starting this year are the ones in preseason.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
It is this simple. Additionally, they believe the current team, after the castoffs, is capable of getting to the playoffs. After that, Dallas has as good a chance as any other to win it all.

It does not matter what outsiders think. It is what they think. Their overall end goal has not changed--only their strategy in achieving it.
:hammer:

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Actually they are lying or are delusional at minimum despite what some homers think.

Now what?

They're all just opinions man. Yes the Jones boys pay for the music so they decide what's on. And yes, basically any team can win the Superbowl by any streak of luck. But Dak had 8 years to show what he's capable of and that's not it. ;)
I think they will tear it down if this season ends in a disaster. They will tag CeeDee next season and make Micah play on his 5th year. Obviously let Dak go to free agency.

Kwyn

Reaction score

So, willfully and in a stupendously public way, declare that the Dallas Cowboys are tanking before the season even starts.

Kwyn

Reaction score
So **** the locker room. Rebuild means new guys anyways. Be open, be transparent about what you're planning and see who wants to leave. Then trade them for even more draft picks.
This pretty much signals to every NFL player that they should never sign with the Cowboys.

It also would almost certainly result in the league taking those picks as penalties for such obvious tanking.