Why not just start Trey Lance?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Because you run the risk of losing the locker room. Too many players and coaches have their futures tied up in this season to want to see what the backup has for next year because if Dallas doesn't win this year most of them won't be back next year.
they're tied up with the guy that can't get them over the hump in the playoffs

Jarntt

Reaction score
I don't think Dak being here or elsewhere necessarily leads to Lance being the QB. I don't think Lance will ever be a starting caliber NFL QB. I think he or Rush will be gone by week 1 because you can't cry cap issues while at the same time pay 2 backup QBs what we and while also paying a starter what we do. Which is gone between Rush and Lance I don't know, nor do I care because both would (IMO) be horrible FT starting QBs. If Dak is gone (this year or next) I don't think our next QB is currently on our roster.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak is gone, the writing is on the wall and before you say he gives us the best chance to win this year, I agree, he is going to win more meaningless regular season games and if this team is fortunate to make the playoffs he isn't going to take us to a superbowl, that's not going to happen with this current team regardless and I think most everyone agrees with that take.

So starting Dak net's you nothing and actually hurts the 25 draft stock. Give Lance a true year of evaluation, the worst that can happen is the team goes 0-17 has the top pick or top five pick and free of Dak's cap hit. Or start Dak, win a few games, know nothing about Lance's ability and end up with a middle to late round first.
That would be fine if the team and fan base were willing to have a tank type season which this FO is absolutely not willing to do. This team has a multitude of holes to fix on this roster and QB isn’t the worst hole.

The other thing is why rush it? Trey Lance is a mystery not a given. I would rather see what he has in preseason this August than just throw caution to the wind because everyone is tired of Dak. What if it’s obvious in ps that Lance isn’t that guy? Plus finding even decent QB play in this league is extremely difficult. There is no “elite QB tree” to pick.

Look I’m tired of watching Dak stink it up in big playoff games too but despite what many here say, Dak is a top 10 level QB. Elite? No. But he’s not awful. And in that terrible GB playoff loss last January, Dak was not the only reason we lost. That defense was just horrible. Tom Brady couldn’t have helped that.

Acting like all we need to do to get better is change QBs is fools gold. Maybe Trey Lance has a future here. But he may also show us exactly why SF was so willing to give up on him at age 22.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dak is gone, the writing is on the wall and before you say he gives us the best chance to win this year, I agree, he is going to win more meaningless regular season games and if this team is fortunate to make the playoffs he isn't going to take us to a superbowl, that's not going to happen with this current team regardless and I think most everyone agrees with that take.

So starting Dak net's you nothing and actually hurts the 25 draft stock. Give Lance a true year of evaluation, the worst that can happen is the team goes 0-17 has the top pick or top five pick and free of Dak's cap hit. Or start Dak, win a few games, know nothing about Lance's ability and end up with a middle to late round first.
Jersey sales my friend. jersey sales. Dak was #5 in jersey sales. Lance was bottom of the barrell. too much loss for Jerry to start Lance and secondly that would be admitting defeat.
Also, Cowboys didn't pick up Lance 5th year option. which means if they start him and he does well enough, then his market value goes up. perhaps Jerry is going to ride Dak one more year. squeeze all the money out of Jersey sales as he can. then sign Lance for 2025 at a much lower market price.

Also, they may have insight into Lance that he is not the answer and that's why they didn't pick up his 5th year option.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dak will win a SB somewhere else in the right system and with the right coaching. Its unattainable in Dallas due to ownership that lost their way decades ago. Now its clear Stevie is running the Titanic straight into the iceberg fast as he can. WHY is the question.

Rayman70

Reaction score
yes, just draft a guy or just start Lance NOW. Lets not let things fester.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
This pretty much signals to every NFL player that they should never sign with the Cowboys.

It also would almost certainly result in the league taking those picks as penalties for such obvious tanking.
That's not tanking. It's allowed to overhaul your team. You're not aiming for bad results. But you're not satisfied with the QB position and will try a former 1st rd draft pick. That's future building and not tanking. Never would the NFL take away draft picks for that.

And I really doubt players wouldn't want to sign with the Cowboys after giving TL a chance. How did Aikman got his job? (NOT saying Lance is Aikman). They lost all but one games in his first season. And players still came. At some point you have to try something new.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Because how incompetent this team is…these players want to win. They aren’t built to be losers. You think Zack Martin wants to lose?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Yes but not happening. They don't forward think like that.
this^...IN FACT, they think THEY are in the 50's or 60's back at Arkansas . The GMs that fail are the ones that complicate matters and don't evolve with the times. I like the youth movement but why do it this way?

Rayman70

Reaction score
This is a rebuild on the fly. They think they can do it differently,which is a fatal flaw. Lying to the media and the fans is very bad. Nobody trusts the Jones family.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
For Lance to get an opportunity he’s going to have to beat out Cooper Rush. If that happens he could possibly get an opportunity next season if Dak is still not extended and things aren’t going well. If the Cowboys are going to make Dak play out the final year of his contract, he could be gone after the season, so they’re going to have to find out about Lance and whether they’re going to need to draft a QB in 2025.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
For Lance to get an opportunity he’s going to have to beat out Cooper Rush. If that happens he could possibly get an opportunity next season if Dak is still not extended and things aren’t going well. If the Cowboys are going to make Dak play out the final year of his contract, he could be gone after the season, so they’re going to have to find out about Lance and whether they’re going to need to draft a QB in 2025.
I firmly believe Lance has shown something behind the scenes and factors into what's going on with the Dak situation. Training camp/ preseason will tell.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I firmly believe Lance has shown something behind the scenes and factors into what's going on with the Dak situation. Training camp/ preseason will tell.
There are posters calling him a bust and they have never even seen him during or after a Cowboy training camp.

We'll see what he is like after camp and during pre-season. Hopefully he is good enough to kick Dak to the curb.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Pretty sure John Lynch can answer that question.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What’s going on with Dak has nothing to do with Lance. He has yet to take a game rep. What’s going on is Dak is coming off another bad playoff game and is looking for a huge contract extension that could reset the market. The Cowboys traded for Lance to cover themselves in the event they moved on from Dak and that may happen after next season unless we come up big in the playoffs. It may take reaching or winning the SB for Dak to be extended.

Chasing6

Reaction score
What’s going on with Dak has nothing to do with Lance. He has yet to take a game rep. What’s going on is Dak is coming off another bad playoff game and is looking for a huge contract extension that could reset the market. The Cowboys traded for Lance to cover themselves in the event they moved on from Dak and that may happen after next season unless we come up big in the playoffs. It may take reaching or winning the SB for Dak to be extended.
Dak is coming off one of the best regular seasons a QB has ever had in Cowboys history. Was Troy ever an MVP candidate? No he was not.

Dak had a bad game, our defense had a record breaking bad game.

Dak will get paid no matter what from an NFL team.

Jethro has no future QB, because he is a horrible GM with no back up plan.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
If Dak wins the Super Bowl and then is a free agent his price tag will be over $60 million per season.

Chasing6

Reaction score

Because he sucks.