Why signing Dalton makes sense

Manster68

Reaction score
How many times have we seen backup QBs come in and produce? I mean producing to a level that puts their team in the playoffs, or takes their team to a Super Bowl championship?

1. Most recently is Nick Foles in Philly. I'm still sick about that.
2. Earl Morrell 50 years ago not only came off the bench to lead the Colts to victory over our Cowboys in Super Bowl V, but also filled in for most of the regular season in Miami's undefeated season in 1972 when Bob Griese went down.
3. How about Jim Plunkett taking over in 1980 for an injured Dan Pastorini in Oakland? All Plunkett did was take the Raiders to a decisive victory over the Eagles in Super Bowl XV.
4. Doug Williams took over for Jay Schroeder in Washington and became the first black QB to win a Super Bowl.
5. Steve Young took over for Joe Montana in San Francisco and never looked back (to Cowboys' dismay).
6. Steve Beuerlien took over for Aikman in 1991 and led the young Cowboys to the playoffs.
7. Bernie Kosar assisted greatly in 1993 regular season & NFC Championship Game against the 49ers (Jimmy's "We Will Win the Ballgame!")
8. Tom Brady?

and there are others.

So THIS is why signing Andy Dalton makes sense to me in 2020.

Manster68

Reaction score
Also remember that Dallas could have Andy Dalton as the backup QB for the next 5 years. It is not like having a 40 something Jon Kitna in here (and scrape the pigeon crap off his shoulders).

Kaiser

Reaction score
Or is it Danny White-Quincy Carter?...........Dalton was the Bengals backup punter

Wouldn't that make him the new Jeff Heath?

Have to go now.

giphy.gif

rags747

Reaction score
Yes, we have seen Dalton. We have seen Dak. We will now see in camp all things equal (same offensive players and same defensive players and same plays) and be able to make a valid comparison. My money is on Dak. The big question is how much better and how much more money. For example, do you pay a $15M premium for a 10% better QB (numbers and money are for example only and not an indication of what I think they will be)?
What do you do if camp was determined to be even or slightly positive for Dalton?

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Why are people acting like Dalton was devoid of talent him lol. He had AJ Green and Tyler Eifert in his prime.

Dalton has always been a lower tier starter his whole career. Just slightly above average at his best. To think that is going that is going to change here is foolish.

Signing a player like Dalton is all about signing a guy that gives you a good chance at winning 1 or 2 critical games if Dak gets hurt. If anything thing more was expected of him, you would see him get alot more than 3 million

Dalton will be a good short term fix...especially if DAK tries to hold out a few games..... DAK is playing with fire now...if he lets Dalton get on the field and Dalton shines... coaches might stay with the hot hand.... and leave DAK on the bench......High Risk game of poker for DAK.... but the Jones suck at POKER...they will pay him

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
1) Rush is unproven. We really don't know what he is capable of doing.
2) Dak may hold out. Dalton is an insurance policy against this.
3) Dak might be wanting too much money. I believe the QB market might be dropping. $35M is too many eggs in one basket. Goff, Wentz, and Wilson are vastly overpaid. Much cheaper QBs might be able to achieve 85% of what the top QBs can do. And it might be enough.
4) Dalton here sends a message to Dak that this train is moving with or without you. Dak has a golden opportunity. Very good pay, best QB job in the NFL, offensive weapons galore. Don't be looking a gift horse in the mouth. Imagine some other QB leading this offense while you are getting market value ($20-something million) with some other team.
4) The running QB is the future (several years out) and teams need more than one capable QB to cover for injury. So the amount of dollars allotted to the QB position has to be spread out.
5) Dalton could be turned into some good trade value assuming another team's QB gets hurt late in camp or early in the year. Assuming Rush or DiNucci or Thorson show they are capable of backing up.
6) The coronavirus effect: any player who tests positive in the season might have to be quarantined for two weeks or more until they test negative. Might need an extra capable QB on the roster this year.
7) Lastly, maybe Dalton is better. I don't think so but never know until we see them in action. Training camp will let you know since all variables are the same. Or maybe they are just as good. Or maybe Dak is only slightly better so rather pay Dalton $20M than Dak $35M.
8) There really is no downside to signing Dalton other than taking practice time from Rush and Thorson. DiNucci will probably see little practice time and even less game action since the Cowboys most likely will want to stash him on the PS for a year. Let him take a redshirt, better for his long term development.

For those against the Dalton signing, were you also ripping the Saints for signing Winston for even more money than the Cowboys signed Dalton?

Book worthy post. Thanks. The only thing I have to add are possible scenarios.

1. There are two games left in the regular season, but Dak is hurt. The Cowboys are neck and neck with the Eagles for the NFC East crown. If we win out, we take the title and go to the playoffs. If we don't, and the Eagles win out, it's theirs. In the second-to-last and the last games of the season, who do you want starting? Andy Dalton or Cooper Rush?
2. (I really hope this doesn't happen, but it could.) Dak holds out for the first two or three games of the regular season. I would be very unhappy with him, as would many Cowboy fans, but it's possible. While Jones is doing his best negotiating to get our starter back, who do you want under center, Andy Dalton or Cooper Rush?

This is so obviously a smart signing, I'm surprised there's any controversy.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
7) Lastly, maybe Dalton is better. I don't think so but never know until we see them in action. Training camp will let you know since all variables are the same. Or maybe they are just as good. Or maybe Dak is only slightly better so rather pay Dalton $20M than Dak $35M.

Pro Bowl for 3 years. Dalton was not a bum. Maybe he could be a legitimate QB again. Rush is never going to be that.

*Maybe* Dalton could be a cheap starter for us before Romo 2 takes over.

Dak does not seem to appreciate the benefits that accrue to being the Cowboys QB. We should be giving ourselves some kind of options beyond paying Dak 40mil a year or having no QB.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1) Rush is unproven. We really don't know what he is capable of doing.
3) Dak might be wanting too much money. I believe the QB market might be dropping. $35M is too many eggs in one basket. Goff, Wentz, and Wilson are vastly overpaid. Much cheaper QBs might be able to achieve 85% of what the top QBs can do. And it might be enough.
4) Dalton here sends a message to Dak that this train is moving with or without you. Dak has a golden opportunity. Very good pay, best QB job in the NFL, offensive weapons galore. Don't be looking a gift horse in the mouth. Imagine some other QB leading this offense while you are getting market value ($20-something million) with some other team.
4) The running QB is the future (several years out) and teams need more than one capable QB to cover for injury. So the amount of dollars allotted to the QB position has to be spread out.
5) Dalton could be turned into some good trade value assuming another team's QB gets hurt late in camp or early in the year. Assuming Rush or DiNucci or Thorson show they are capable of backing up.
6) The coronavirus effect: any player who tests positive in the season might have to be quarantined for two weeks or more until they test negative. Might need an extra capable QB on the roster this year.
8) There really is no downside to signing Dalton other than taking practice time from Rush and Thorson. DiNucci will probably see little practice time and even less game action since the Cowboys most likely will want to stash him on the PS for a year. Let him take a redshirt, better for his long term development.

For those against the Dalton signing, were you also ripping the Saints for signing Winston for even more money than the Cowboys signed Dalton?
A couple things.

3. There's no reason to think the QB market is dropping. And if you think Wilson is "vastly overpaid," it's hard to take any of your other opinions seriously.
7. We've "seen them in action" for years, 9 of them in Dalton's case. He's not better, and I'm baffled how anyone could think he is or might be.

There's some merit to your points (2) and (6), but really, it's simply that Dalton is a terrific option at backup QB (and veteran mentor) and the price was right.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Man, I thought we drafted DiNucci to do these three things, especially sending a message.

cowboyec

Reaction score
makes sense to me because if something were to happen to #4.....the season wouldn't be a loss.
Dalton gives us a puncher's chance.