Video: Why the Cowboys Cut Dan Bailey

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
But 1 stretch of bad football shouldn't be enough to cut some of the best players in your teams history. Especially when you have no real motivation to replace them.

We'd be better with Dez and if Bailey is healthy then we'd be better with him as well.

It's all good though. Keep getting rid of good players and go 5-11.. Get us a new coach in here. I'm ok with that.

Jason Garrett better hope Michael Gallup is an animal because cover 3 and cover 1 will be what Dallas see's a lot of and you don't have Dez out there to bail out your crappy playcalling anymore with winning 50/50's.
Were’nt you complaining previously how the Cowboys suck because they hang on to players too long?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I seriously can't understand why would anyone not understand why the guy got cut? How can this bite us in the *** when it would have bitten us in the *** had we went into the season with his groin injury?

Vanderjagt II
Wasn't his injury a groin too?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Were’nt you complaining previously how the Cowboys suck because they hang on to players too long?

No but I would if you get did.

I’d rather have Dez at his price then basically not spending any money or getting Hurns.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
All I know is, Bailey missed field goals coming down the stretch last year, just as Dez dropped passes. And for the price, you can't have that. This is a "perform" or leave business, especially if you're taking up valuable cap space.

Six months later Dez is still unemployed despite some folks here insisting he'd have a job the next week.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I seriously can't understand why would anyone not understand why the guy got cut? How can this bite us in the *** when it would have bitten us in the *** had we went into the season with his groin injury?

At best this is a lose-win situation. At worse a lose-lose. If Maher doesn't pan out we get a better kicker next year.

What don't some of you understand about this!?! Either Bailey goes, or you guys keep him and trash him when he blows multiple game winners this season.

We've got people who are upset that Tapper got released. It's no wonder Bailey would be a shocker, even though his performance has slipped as his injuries increased.

I miss the "Money" days, when Bailey would trot out and it never crossed my mind that he would miss. Those days ended while he was still here, unfortunately.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Comparing holding onto aging players for too long to releasing a 30 year old kicker is lazy.

It is what it is, for whatever reason they lost faith in him.

If it backfires and helps JG get his walking papers, all the better.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
I’m hoping we won’t have to rely on a kicker to win 8 or so games out of the season

foofighters

Reaction score
How does JJJ still have a job? I could do what he does (and probably be better).

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I won't give this staff or management benefit of the doubt.

I want to see it for myself.

The move is absolutely stupid but hey he may be terrible now and this Maher may be great.

But I better not see Dan Bailey being Dan Bailey somewhere else why we are holding our breaths over extra points and kicks beyond 40.

I think even with a staff fans are comfortable with this would be a wait and see kind of move. Regardless of the staff, I’m on the fence on whether this is a good or bad move.

jjktkk

Reaction score
I won't give this staff or management benefit of the doubt.

I want to see it for myself.

The move is absolutely stupid but hey he may be terrible now and this Maher may be great.

But I better not see Dan Bailey being Dan Bailey somewhere else why we are holding our breaths over extra points and kicks beyond 40.
This scenario you mention is common in NFL circles. Look at Adam Vinatieri's career.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

At best this is a lose-win situation. At worse a lose-lose. If Maher doesn't pan out we get a better kicker next year.

What don't some of you understand about this!?! Either Bailey goes, or you guys keep him and trash him when he blows multiple game winners this season.

Some were still complaining about trading away Herschel Walker while the Cowboys were winning Super Bowls...

plasticman

Reaction score
I don't believe that the team was as straightforward about his health as they should have been until they cut him. Curious.

I wonder what other tidbits they may have about other players.

I mean, this came out of left field,I don't remember them giving any indication that his injuries had impaired him to that degree. In fact, I thought he was healing.

In addition, there is some deception here when it comes to the math. Yes, technically,he dropped 20% in the last two seasons but he only dropped from 90.5% to 84.4% in 2016 and then to 75% in 2018. That's not all.

Did he suffer a slow, corrosion in his skill set? Then, why was he a perfect 7 for 7 in the beginning of the 2017 season up until his injury? When he came back to kick was he 100% healthy? Was he allowed sufficient time to totally heal, insuring it wouldn't effect his performance? Was he coaxed into coming back with "We'd rather have Bailey at 80% then anyone else we have at 100%?"

Did Maher outperform Bailey? Were they given equal opportunity? Or, was it "We already know what Bailey can do."

The team's side of the story involves his current health. Therefore, it wouldn't make any sense for another team to pick him up unless they stash him on IR. If he kicks for another team early in the season then it was nothing more than a Jerry Jones style gamble even if it wasn't Jerry himself. They save cap space and hope Maher doesn't tank. When that game comes when a Maher kick wins or loses a game, and that time will come, he had better nail it. Because, if he doesn't...........

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score

I TOLD YOU..I deal with the g*****n customers!

Rayman70

Reaction score
Peyton Manning once coined a phrase. "Your talkin about a kicker." It was something to that effect. Another words. lets move on. I think we got bigger fish to fry heading into Carolina with our void of depth and talent at Safety. We SHOULD ALL BE TALKIN ABOUT THAT.

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Dan Bailey threads closing the gap on Dez Bryant threads:laugh:

6IY6yqx.jpg