News: Why the Dallas Cowboys must re-sign Anthony Hitchens

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Pay no attention to fan sites. They need an entire new set of starting LBs. Being the tallest midget shouldn't get you paid.

admittedly, I did not read the article, but typically speaking the 3rd LB in a 4-3 doesn't make huge amounts of money, which is what he *should* get. even if we don't use him as the SLB and use him as a back-up WLB/MLB, assuming Jaylon Smith continues to improve.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Why the Dallas Cowboys must re-sign Anthony Hitchens
https://thelandryhat.com/2017/12/08/dallas-cowboys-must-re-sign-anthony-hitchens/

...The Cowboys brass will have several big decisions to make in the new year. One of the first being which of their various free agents they’ll need to re-sign. Earlier this year, Dallas elected to allow a majority of their defensive secondary to leave via free agency. Names like safety Barry Church and starting cornerbacks Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne have all found success elsewhere in 2017...

This upcoming offseason, similar decisions will have to be made concerning veterans like defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence, who currently leads the NFL with 13.5 sacks. Other players scheduled to become unrestricted free agents include offensive guard Jonathan Cooper, wide receiver Brice Butler and linebacker Kyle Wilber.

Defensive tackle David Irving will be a restricted free agent. While an extension for All-Pro right guard Zack Martin is also expected to happen next year.

Although names like Lawrence, Irving and Martin are all expected to be retained, I’d like to add another upcoming free agent to that list for Dallas: Linebacker Anthony Hitchens. The former fourth rounder out of Iowa might be deemed expendable with the expected rise of Jaylon Smith. But I believe it’s important that the Cowboys keep their trio of talented linebackers together...

Hitchens is a no brainer to me for us to resign. Wilbur not so much. Cooper yes. Brice probably not as certain. Lawrence gets tagged or signed. We should work on Irvings' contract now.

The draft is our most important job.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
Yes too both Hitchens and Cooper, DLaw will be franchised, Irving gets a 1st round tender , Zach gets extension, make it happen JJ and Stephen

Aven8

Reaction score
Hitch has finally gotten that AHA moment this year. He looks like a complete MLB now. Very similar to Bradie James as his light didn't come on until year 4 as well.

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Hitch has finally gotten that AHA moment this year. He looks like a complete MLB now. Very similar to Bradie James as his light didn't come on until year 4 as well.
James might never came on. He was trash from beginning to end imo

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
I would move on from Sean Lee as well, try to get a draft pick for him from someone. He can't seem to make it more than half a season. Time to re-do the LB crew, to the liking of the new DC.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
Hitchens isn't a "must sign" for me. Linebacker IS a must position to address, though. I'd love to resign him if the price is right. If not then we need to sign a quality free agent or, even better, us a high draft pick. Jaylon Smith *should* be better next season but no telling how good.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
James might never came on. He was trash from beginning to end imo

James was solid, which is what Hitch will probably be. Jame was bad because of high draft and what we passed on. Overall, he was a solid player you could depend on.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
  • Sign hitchens to a 3 year deal that we can get out of easily and draft 2 linebackers
  • Let Wilbur and Durant go
  • Sign one of following : Navarro, Bostic, Preston Brown, and Demario Davis - whoever comes cheapest
  • Sign Ramon Humber from Buffalo
Wait....that's a lot of linebackers. Oh well. Laterz

Bigdog

Reaction score
Why the Dallas Cowboys must re-sign Anthony Hitchens
https://thelandryhat.com/2017/12/08/dallas-cowboys-must-re-sign-anthony-hitchens/

...The Cowboys brass will have several big decisions to make in the new year. One of the first being which of their various free agents they’ll need to re-sign. Earlier this year, Dallas elected to allow a majority of their defensive secondary to leave via free agency. Names like safety Barry Church and starting cornerbacks Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne have all found success elsewhere in 2017...

This upcoming offseason, similar decisions will have to be made concerning veterans like defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence, who currently leads the NFL with 13.5 sacks. Other players scheduled to become unrestricted free agents include offensive guard Jonathan Cooper, wide receiver Brice Butler and linebacker Kyle Wilber.

Defensive tackle David Irving will be a restricted free agent. While an extension for All-Pro right guard Zack Martin is also expected to happen next year.

Although names like Lawrence, Irving and Martin are all expected to be retained, I’d like to add another upcoming free agent to that list for Dallas: Linebacker Anthony Hitchens. The former fourth rounder out of Iowa might be deemed expendable with the expected rise of Jaylon Smith. But I believe it’s important that the Cowboys keep their trio of talented linebackers together...
That last sentence is kind of misleading. It should read I believe it's important the the Cowboys keep their trio of talented linebackers (when they are healthy) together.

conner01

Reaction score
Hitch is a guy that every team needs. He’s not a star, he never going to be a pro bowl starter, Be he can do lots of things good
Now we need to be looking early in this draft for the next Lee

Proof

Reaction score
Pay no attention to fan sites. They need an entire new set of starting LBs. Being the tallest midget shouldn't get you paid.

Then you’re in the same position we were with the secondary. No one is saying break the bank for him but letting him walk will be a mistake.

I’m glad people are coming around on him

Wolf2k5

Reaction score
I've just seen this team let players walk, expecting another guy "should" make the leap. Jaylon will be starting MLB next season unless Hitchens stays for a deal

CCBoy

Reaction score
He has earned only a deal similar to his market value. He better hope the going rate for starting mlbs has gone up since last year

C'mon, quit adding on a negative disqualifier...money won't be a deal breaker for this player.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
As poor as linebacker play was at the beginning of the season, it can be a bright spot going forward if Jaylon continues ascending.