Why the Steelers and Joey Porter Jr. couldn't come to terms (Contract details)

Kwyn

Well-Known Member
Messages
19,923
Reaction score
26,828
This is long so apologies up front. I’m a read/write learner so when I am trying to understand something new or complicated, it helps me to write it down. I figured if I’m doing that, I might as well post in case someone else had been curious about the same topic.

Why the Steelers and Joey Porter Jr. couldn’t come to terms

To answer this question for myself, I spent a bunch of time on several Steelers websites, fan forums, Overthecap, and Spotrac, and even listened to an insider podcast.

First off, there was never any indication (or even leaks from the team) that JPJ was demanding top of market. The $28m AAV the Steelers offered was not the issue.

It was about guaranteed money and the franchise tag.

How Guarantees are Structured

"Total Guaranteed" is a phrase I had heard often, but it turns out I didn’t really have a handle on it.

I’ll use Gonzalez in the chart below as an example of how guarantees work for big stars.

Gonzalez signed a deal with over $100M in total potential guarantees. His absolute, 100% “fully guaranteed cash at signing” is actually much lower ($54M). The rest of that $102m ends up being guaranteed through "rolling roster triggers" each March for years 2+. If he’s on the roster, he gets the full year.

“Rolling roster trigger” guarantees are highly coveted and separates elite players from the rest.

PlayerDay1 (M)Total Guar(M)Yr 2+ Guar
C. Gonzalez55102Full Rolling
D. Witherspoon53101Full Rolling
S. Gardner4885Full Rolling
D. Ward4050Full Rolling
T. McDuffie3850Full Rolling
J. Porter Jr. (Offer)33UnknownInjury-Only (No Rolling)
 
So, what went wrong for JPJ?

The Steelers offered JPJ a $33M guarantee on day one. That’s actually in line with the other Day 1 guarantees. So, first year, no problem. Both sides are happy. As mentioned above, the AAV was fine as well.

What caused the problem was years 2-4 when that the Steelers refused to give him the “rolling roster triggers” that other top CBs have been getting. Not having it left his future in doubt if the team decided his performance dipped or they wanted to use the money another way.

Further, the Steelers treated him differently than their last two star contracts.

For TJ Watt, the Steelers guaranteed 90% of his entire deal on day one.

For DK Metcalf, they guaranteed 50% of the entire contract on day one, though that rare second-year guarantee security came along as part of a trade.

Porter's contract, by comparison, guaranteed less than 30% of his total contract and lacked any of the rolling triggers that these other players get.

Threat of the Franchise Tag

To add fuel to the fire, there are Steelers insiders, including Chris Halicke, who reported front office leagues saying the Steelers had an absolute intention to tag JPJ for the next two years if he didn’t sign the deal. It’s exactly how they did Le'Veon Bell.

So, when JPJ said he felt disrespected, it wasn’t because of the average annual value; it was because he wasn’t given similar treatment to their other stars, and the Steelers let it get out that it was sign now or get double tagged
 
What caused the problem was years 2-4 when that the Steelers refused to give him the “rolling roster triggers” that other top CBs have been getting. Not having it left his future in doubt if the team decided his performance dipped or they wanted to use the money another way.
Looks like Stephen has been put on notice. I'm sure JPJ's agent will be bringing this up in off season talks.
 
Looks like Stephen has been put on notice. I'm sure JPJ's agent will be bringing this up in off season talks.
The Cowboys are definitely comfortable with it. Dak, CeeDee and Bland have these “rolling triggers”

They also have history of doing it with Cornerbacks other than Bland. Diggs last deal had these guarantees as well.
 
Last edited:
My take...guarantees tell the player you are going to be here the next three or four years. The signing bonus and the first three or four years are completely guaranteed. As long as you're willing and able to take the field. You go to prison (Aaron Hernandez), die, or retire and those guarantees gets a little iffy.
 
Reading this I can see why he felt that way. Im curious how much input if any McCarthy had
 
Word is they offered to guarantee 1 year of his contract up to $29M but would not go north of $30M or 2 years.



 
Last edited:
Reading this I can see why he felt that way. Im curious how much input if any McCarthy had
Not much, if any at all. I’m sure he knew what was going on but I’m almost certain they didn’t even ask him about the guarantees,

The Steelers are the most prehistoric front office in the league. They have lots of “rules” that other teams view as “guidelines”.
 
Word is they offered to guarantee 1 year of his contract up to $29M but would not go north of $30M or 2 years.


Thanks, I forgot to link Rappaport.

It wasn’t jsut year two. It was three and four as well.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
476,125
Messages
14,669,013
Members
24,227
Latest member
Nathaniel
Back
Top