CFZ Why this was the best win of the season so far

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t care what anyone says, last night’s win over the ‘hawks was the best win of the season…so far. Next week should top that, but I’m getting ahead of myself.

For everyone who thinks margin of victory matters at all in the NFL, last night’s win against a good Sea team is a perfect example of the silliness of that notion. This isn’t college football where resumes are based on how bad you beat someone and how good you looked doing it. In the NFL, W’s and Ls are always the bottom line. 9-3 is very impressive.

Here are the reasons why last night’s game was the best win of the season so far:
  • Despite the defense not playing well, the team found a way to win through the offense. The offense carried us last night. That’s what good teams do on a night one side of the ball isn’t playing its best.
  • Has anyone noticed that the almighty egirls struggled against a 6-5 bills team last week and we all were impressed that they were able to come back and win that? We played that script last night too.
  • Anyone remember what the theme was around here about 8 weeks ago? This offense was not moving the ball that well. Look now.
    • Offense is no longer sluggish in the red zone. (except for the stupid delay of game penalty!)
    • This team just set an NFL record by scoring 40 or more in 4 consecutive home games.
    • Since the debacle at SF, Dak has thrown 21 TDs with only 2 picks.
  • We just won our 14th straight at home.
  • Seattle is a good team. Three weeks ago they were 6-3. Injuries have hurt them a lot but they played their guts out last night. We beat a good team. A team that if the season ended today is in the playoffs.
This team showed some guts last night. I was glad to see them get punched hard but still be able to punch back and win. Good teams find a way. That could have easily been a trap game.

This team still needs to improve a lot. The stupid penalties are driving me crazy. I’m beginning to think McCarthy just doesn’t work enough on improving that because those pre-snap and offsides penalties are just stupid.

Now it‘s on to the eagles. Let’s gooooooooooo!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I don’t care what anyone says, last night’s win over the ‘hawks was the best win of the season…so far. Next week should top that, but I’m getting ahead of myself.

For everyone who thinks margin of victory matters at all in the NFL, last night’s win against a good Sea team is a perfect example of the silliness of that notion. This isn’t college football where resumes are based on how bad you beat someone and how good you looked doing it. In the NFL, W’s and Ls are always the bottom line. 9-3 is very impressive.

Here are the reasons why last night’s game was the best win of the season so far:
  • Despite the defense not playing well, the team found a way to win through the offense. The offense carried us last night. That’s what good teams do on a night one side of the ball isn’t playing its best.
  • Has anyone noticed that the almighty egirls struggled against a 6-5 bills team last week and we all were impressed that they were able to come back and win that? We played that script last night too.
  • Anyone remember what the theme was around here about 8 weeks ago? This offense was not moving the ball that well. Look now.
    • Offense is no longer sluggish in the red zone. (except for the stupid delay of game penalty!)
    • This team just set an NFL record by scoring 40 or more in 4 consecutive home games.
  • Seattle is a good team. Three weeks ago they were 6-3. Injuries have hurt them a lot but they played their guts out last night. We beat a good team. A team that if the season ended today is in the playoffs.
This team showed some guts last night. I was glad to see them get punched hard but still be able to punch back and win. Good teams find a way. That could have easily been a trap game.

This team still needs to improve a lot. The stupid penalties are driving me crazy. I’m beginning to think McCarthy just doesn’t work enough on improving that because those pre-snap and offsides penalties are just stupid.

Agree with all you said.
Mac has got to also get a better handle on in-game management.
That 3rd down pass play at the end of game was a head scratcher?
Has any media asked him about that yet?

Cmac

Reaction score
Please don't listen to Skip and The Playmaker tells us manure smells good. This was not a good team performance.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

I really think three games in such a short period has a lot to do with the way the defense played. 10 days rest we’re ready for Philly.

stiletto

Reaction score
Kind of hard to be too optimistic with the way our Defense looked. Pretty much asking the Offense to be perfect all the time. That's not going to happen. Had the Seahawks stopped us normally once or twice, we get blown out last night.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One again...we didn;t really play a really good team. But I'm proud of the team, especially Dak and the offense....they didn't fold.

Ferg taking some leadership there with some old school cowboys swagger.

Aubrey a hero.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Voice of reason.....are you sure you belong here? Lol

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree with all you said.
Mac has got to also get a better handle on in-game management.
That 3rd down pass play at the end of game was a head scratcher?
Has any media asked him about that yet?
Big Mac’s in-game management is a ticking time bomb. His choice to not take the FG after the Bland INT was not smart. And as you pointed out the pass to Lamb instead of running the clock was also not smart.
One again...we didn;t really play a really good team. But I'm proud of the team, especially Dak and the offense....they didn't fold.

Aubrey a hero.
If the season ended today, Sea is a playoff team. 3 weeks ago they had the same record as Dallas. They have been decimated by injuries. We beat a playoff team last night.

Flamma

Reaction score

Aubrey a hero.
That's the thing. As Bobhaze pointed out, this isn't college. It can be tough against any team in the NFL. Getting a win when we were tested is what's important. Eagles lost to the Jets and the Patriots gave them a good game. That's how this league is. Seattle just came off a bad loss to the 49ers, they weren't coming to Dallas to lose. But more tests are coming up.

blueblood70

Reaction score

• Despite the defense not playing well, the team found a way to win through the offense. The offense carried us last night. That’s what good teams do on a night one side of the ball isn’t playing its best. Agreed, multiple comebacks in the game. showed heart and metal..
  • Has anyone noticed that the almighty egirls struggled against a 6-5 bills team last week and we all were impressed that they were able to come back and win that? We played that script last night too. Oh yeah but the Eagles are claiming the bills were better and that game was tougher for them and that was more impressive which is nonsense...
  • Anyone remember what the theme was around here about 8 weeks ago? This offense was not moving the ball that well. Look now. Yes!.
    • This team just set an NFL record by scoring 40 or more in 4 consecutive home games. :)
    • Since the debacle at SF, Dak has thrown 21 TDs with only 2 picks. Yes this is a very nice run the problem is if our defense plays like this against the better teams that have both good teams in all three phases, we won't get away with this.. the fact is Seattle just had a bad defense. So are our problems resolved against the really good teams like the 49ers?? not yet, we will see but I believe Miami looks a lot like Seattle with their weapons at wide receiver and a fast running back, we're gonna find out if Dan Quinn makes any changes and if the rest helps. I would like Dan Quinn to stop playing so much man and run some zone and get some double teams and help those corners stop being on an island...
  • We just won our 14th straight at home. awesome
I agree that they are good and we should get some credit for finally playing in a game where we had to make multiple comebacks, we had to play great on offense in a high scoring game against a team that had a winning record... That's great but that doesn't resolve the issues that we're going to have with a team that might have a better defense and a good offense that can move the ball like this and stop or slow down our offense, you know like the 28 points we gave up to Philadelphia and the 42 to the 49ers.. I'm not sure this defense is up to the task it's supposed to be championship level you can't keep giving up so many points in my opinion our three losses are squarely on the defense... They need to find better ways to play defense at times like more zone less pass rush.. I don't know what it is but they seem to be right now boom or bust opportunistic and they starting to look like rod marinelli's defenses... Far too many long drives even and Carolina in Washington if you look at those teams weren't good enough to capitalize but they are being walked down the field far too easily and all these games...

To me the defense is the biggest? Right now and I know that's surprising to everyone but it is.. the other issue is RZ runs and run game in short yardage.. I mean come on it's obvious we need to use hunter and Rico a lot more poor Pollard, this dude is being overused in these situations and I don't understand why we aren't trying to run in a good example is going for it with a minute and 40 left and throwing the ball to CD lamb in the end zone instead of running the football they're not confident in their runs but I don't think they should be afraid to run they just need to use Rico data more and get this guy involved in the game to where he's warmed up and can come in and give you something because I would have handed that ball to Rico dowdle with hunter as the lead blocking fullback go between the Smiths and try to get those three yards and run time off the clock they all game were afraid to run the ball on short yardage because they're using Tony Pollard far too often!!!

JayFord

Reaction score
Kind of hard to be too optimistic with the way our Defense looked. Pretty much asking the Offense to be perfect all the time. That's not going to happen. Had the Seahawks stopped us normally once or twice, we get blown out last night.
its not a trend...it happens

they were never going to play 17 great games....

sunalsorises

Reaction score
It's nice to get a win where the team has to work for it and great point about the offense stepping up for the defense. Seattle was a desperate team last night and needed that win, probably more than Dallas. Plus beating the disgustingly slimy Pete Carroll is always a bonus.

stiletto

Reaction score
its not a trend...it happens

they were never going to play 17 great games....
The defense is not trustworthy. They've had several games they've looked soft and given up huge chunks. 49ers, Seahawks, Cardinals, even Washington was picking up pretty large chunks. They are overrated. Will probably lose us game in the playoffs or sooner to one of these better teams. Almost happened last night.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Big Mac’s in-game management is a ticking time bomb. His choice to not take the FG after the Bland INT was not smart. And as you pointed out the pass to Lamb instead of running the clock was also not smart.

If the season ended today, Sea is a playoff team. 3 weeks ago they had the same record as Dallas. They have been decimated by injuries. We beat a playoff team last night.
While I agree with the sentiment behind those statements I think in this game him knowing the situation where we were probably gonna have to score 40 to 50 points because the defense sucks so bad that he became aggressive all game and decided to be aggressive and they're gonna call that a bad play call CD lamb flat out dropped that ball on 4th and two it was a great play call it was executed by everyone but the receiver and he knew it because he went with the my bad my bad literally hit him in the hands that's a first down Mike McCarthy was being aggressive because situational football in this game said you need touchdowns not field goals you need first downs so I don't think in this game you can be concerned about his situational in game game management of the clock and situational football because I believe he started out being aggressive and he stayed aggressive right down to the very last snap and I believe he did it to keep his foot on the gas because he believed the defense wasn't gonna make any of those stops but thank God they did make the two stops in the end that were critical but he did not trust his defense therefore they were being extra aggressive and I can live with that...

I'm not saying I disagree that they shouldn't have went with the field goal or even made that first two point attempt that they passed up or ran the football in the end instead of throwing it into the end zone those are what you normally would do in normal game situations I think this game because of how bad our defense was playing and how the referees were just too involved in the game I believe he thought either they were gonna get a first down or get a call from the refs or they're gonna execute the play and be successful he was being super aggressive and I can live with that not just because we won the game I said it when it was happening not here but on Facebook because I was arguing with people that are thinking they were all mismanaged plays by the head coach but I disagree in this particular game he was super aggressive because he didn't think he had any other choice and sometimes you just have to play football like that...

Again I'm agreeing that it could be a ticking time bomb that I hope he can also learn from feedback and he's gonna hear the whispers they're gonna talk about this in meetings and maybe he makes different decisions in the next time they're in this situation but I still believe that this particular game called for extra aggression and going against analytics and just doing what you feel in the game was necessary and I believe he had a great feel for how this needed to go and I agree with all the calls that he made I agreed with them why he was making them not now not just because we won the game I'm all over Facebook I could probably find screenshots of agreeing with what he was doing because I understood why he did it...

Mr_437

Reaction score

As always excellent thread (flowers).
I agree with it all. Some fans don't know how good SEA can be. I liked seeing guys step up vs a physical football team and not fold because they're hitting hard. NFC West maybe the most physical division in the NFC, and Dallas comes out 2-2 against the West. Lastly, Dak came up big in the clutch.