Why we probably won’t see a trade soon

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Been seeing a lot of threads about us making a trade to get an impact defensive player. Many fans still remember the Charles Haley acquisition back in ‘92 that was a key move in our SB run that year, then think we need to do something like that now. Of course that was before the salary cap was instituted.

Unfortunately, moves like the Haley trade are extremely difficult to make in this post salary cap era. Why?
  • The team trading for a player must have cap room to execute a trade. That wasn’t true in ‘92. Everyone seems to forget that. The cap has made trading much harder.
  • A trade of a higher paid player can be the same as releasing him because it will impact your cap moving forward- if a player is traded at the deadline, all future prorated money owed will accelerate into the next season making the trade less attractive for both teams.
  • Negotiating fair compensation in a trade is extremely difficult. That’s why we rarely see player-for-player trades in the NFL like other sports.
  • Modern trade compensation almost always means future draft picks. and negotiating that can be difficult, especially if the player who's being traded will be a free agent the following year.
I know trading for some impact defender right now sounds like a great idea. But the way the salary cap is used in today’s Cap era NFL makes it extremely difficult to pull off. For that reason, making a trade right now near the deadline is very difficult. Especially for a team like Dallas with a ton of FAs coming up next year.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Been seeing a lot of threads about us making a trade to get an impact defensive player. Many fans still remember the Charles Haley acquisition back in ‘92 that was a key move in our SB run that year, then think we need to do something like that now. Of course that was before the salary cap was instituted.

Unfortunately, moves like the Haley trade are extremely difficult to make in this post salary cap era. Why?
  • The team trading for a player must have cap room to execute a trade. That wasn’t true in ‘92. Everyone seems to forget that. The cap has made trading much harder.
  • A trade of a higher paid player can be the same as releasing him because it will impact your cap moving forward- if a player is traded at the deadline, all future prorated money owed will accelerate into the next season making the trade less attractive for both teams.
  • Negotiating fair compensation in a trade is extremely difficult. That’s why we rarely see player-for-player trades in the NFL like other sports.
  • Modern trade compensation almost always means future draft picks. and negotiating that can be difficult, especially if the player who's being traded will be a free agent the following year.
I know trading for some impact defender right now sounds like a great idea. But the way the salary cap is used in today’s Cap era NFL makes it extremely difficult to pull off. For that reason, making a trade right now near the deadline is very difficult. Especially for a team like Dallas with a ton of FAs coming up next year.

This is tough because I do think this team needs an upgrade at backup quarterback. If we had to win a set of 3 games or so with Cooper Rush under center, I believe that would be tough. Maybe he's better than I realize. Do you think that's true? I would much prefer to still have Dalton.

fivetwos

Reaction score
If these "cap problems" for next year are real, doesn't it make sense that future draft picks are more valuable than another vet that needs to be paid to be retained?

We have roster issues as it is, so another lost player would likely be part of the cost as well. Not to mention locker room chemistry.

Mid season deals work a lot better in other sports.

SJones recently said they are never going to be all in for one season. They won't be doing anything major, if anything at all. In fact I'd say it's more likely that we deal off players than acquire them.

fivetwos

Reaction score
This is tough because I do think this team needs an upgrade at backup quarterback. If we had to win a set of 3 games or so with Cooper Rush under center, I believe that would be tough. Maybe he's better than I realize. Do you think that's true? I would much prefer to still have Dalton.
I waffle on this one.

They could certainly stand to upgrade, but if Dak goes down for the year, doesn't much matter.

The issue is if he needs to miss like 2-5 games. Not having a capable backup could cost the season.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rev, I would rather have a bunch of backup QBs besides Cooper Rush. I’ve been wondering about Will Grier, the guy we picked up from Carolina back in August. He was a former third round pick and has some skills Rush doesn’t. I just don’t see us making a trade for a backup QB though.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I waffle on this one.

They could certainly stand to upgrade, but if Dak goes down for the year, doesn't much matter.

The issue is if he needs to miss like 2-5 games. Not having a capable backup could cost the season.

That's exactly it. For 2 - 5 games, we've got a good shot with Dalton or Foles. With Rush ..... do we? We've seen little action from him. Has he even played an NFL game outside of preseason? Maybe he's better than we know. I hope so. A team should be able to win games with its backup QB. A lot of teams have needed to do that, including the Cowboys. One year Bernie Kosar needed to play in relief of Troy Aikman. That was Jimmy Johnson's second Super Bowl year.

quickccc

Reaction score
We made the big Amari Cooper trade during the season , be it that Cowboys organization thought that much about Cooper, ..and the great starving desperate need for a suitable WR for Dak,
that we dealt a first round pick.

i get the vibe that the entire Cowboys organization feel that good about this 2021 Cowboys team that they need to trade for a "catalytic' player.
A Charles Haley type.

They may think they already have that in Gregory. ..and Diggs may represent the Deion Sanders effect.

And what catalytic player is even on the trade market at this time ?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Rev, I would rather have a bunch of backup QBs besides Cooper Rush. I’ve been wondering about Will Grier, the guy we picked up from Carolina back in August. He was a former third round pick and has some skills Rush doesn’t. I just don’t see us making a trade for a backup QB though.

Yeah, it seems the organization is betting on Dak staying healthy. Of course, they see Rush more than we do. Is it possible that Rush is a lot better than we fans realize?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, it seems the organization is betting on Dak staying healthy. Of course, they see Rush more than we do. Is it possible that Rush is a lot better than we fans realize?
It’s possible. And it’s also possible our coaching staff have confidence in their own ability to game plan for a guy like Rush to bus drive us to a win or two if needed. I don’t have that confidence, lol, but like you said Rev, we don’t see what the coaches do.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
If these "cap problems" for next year are real, doesn't it make sense that future draft picks are more valuable than another vet that needs to be paid to be retained?

We have roster issues as it is, so another lost player would likely be part of the cost as well. Not to mention locker room chemistry.

Mid season deals work a lot better in other sports.

SJones recently said they are never going to be all in for one season. They won't be doing anything major, if anything at all. In fact I'd say it's more likely that we deal off players than acquire them.

I agree. draft picks I'm very interested in. Cowboys will have to tough choices to make in retaining players. Adding outside vets only compounds that. Rookie contracts on the other hand much more manageable over the course of 4 to 5 years. Long term key for the Cowboys is the draft not high priced FA being brought in. If your Jacksonville with a ton of cap space it makes sense but Cowboys projected to be over the cap next season make no sense to add more players you can't keep.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We made the big Amari Cooper trade during the season , be it that Cowboys organization thought that much about Cooper, ..and the great starving desperate need for a suitable WR for Dak,
that we dealt a first round pick.

i get the vibe that the entire Cowboys organization feel that good about this 2021 Cowboys team that they need to trade for a "catalytic' player.
A Charles Haley type.

They may think they already have that in Gregory. ..and Diggs may represent the Deion Sanders effect.

And what catalytic player is even on the trade market at this time ?
Right…again, it’s not that we don’t need another impact defender or backup QB. The question is how can you make a trade without blowing your future cap management or losing important draft capital? Our cap situation now and next year make a trade more difficult. Not impossible, but unlikely.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Well, that doesn’t sound like very much fun.
It sounds better than seeing two sides argue an issue that neither side knows what they are talking about. I understand your point of view, you just like to argue.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Save the draft picks.

80410758-239d-48fd-97f4-65457c2818fa_text.gif