Why we should sign Bakhtiari

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I know this is playing on a recent rumour that the Cowboys are supposedly considering signing David Bakhtiari. I know the FO doesn't spend a lot of money with Mike McCarthy at HC (I have thoughts on this, but this will be addressed in a future thread). That said, I will attempt to make the case on why I think David Bakhtiari would be a no brainer signing on a 1 year deal.

• He's 32 (about a year or so older than I am as I'm 31) and will be 33 in September - this is not terribly old for an olineman. He should still have about another 3 years or so in the tank.
  • He knows Mike McCarthy's system - he played a while with Mike McCarthy. So, he understands the McCarthy offense inside and out. He can probably teach it to the younger olinemen on this team if needed. He wouldn't need much adjusting time given this.
  • He'd be a great mentor to Guyton, Smith, and Bebee - we have three young olinemen that are expected to be our future at oline. Your key young players need a veteran to teach them the pro systems. Lamb learned a lot from Amari Cooper. Dak learned from Romo and Mark Sanchez. I could go on. Having Bakhtiari would benefit the young players. Plus, as stated, he knows McCarthy's offense. So, he could teach them the offense if needed.
  • If he needs to play, much like Jason Peters, he is still an excellent player. I think he would give us quite an option at LG. Having Smith, Bakhtiari, Bebee, Martin, and Guyton up front would be an amazing online.
As you can see, I think it's almost a no brainer to try to sign him on a 1 year deal. I understand that he has an injury history. On the bright side, he'd be cheap enough for the Joneses to sign. And, even if he doesn't play much, he's basically an extra oline coach.

gtb1943

Reaction score
no one knows if he has anything left after all those injuries. Been on the loose for a month and not signed yet is not promising, either he is done or he wants too much

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
It's already been said by many, but...what gives anyone any indication that we have any desire to sign anyone? This year is not about winning. It's about sitting pat and loosening the chains for 2025 and clipping coupons. We aren't signing anybody but the scrubbiest of scrubs for bodies.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Given the huge number of games he’s missed over the past three seasons, any contract I offered would be strictly incentive based.

I’d pay him for the games he was able to play and nothing more. The onus has to be on him to prove that he’s healthy enough to play.

75boyz

Reaction score
I know this is playing on a recent rumour that the Cowboys are supposedly considering signing David Bakhtiari. I know the FO doesn't spend a lot of money with Mike McCarthy at HC (I have thoughts on this, but this will be addressed in a future thread). That said, I will attempt to make the case on why I think David Bakhtiari would be a no brainer signing on a 1 year deal.

• He's 32 (about a year or so older than I am as I'm 31) and will be 33 in September - this is not terribly old for an olineman. He should still have about another 3 years or so in the tank.
  • He knows Mike McCarthy's system - he played a while with Mike McCarthy. So, he understands the McCarthy offense inside and out. He can probably teach it to the younger olinemen on this team if needed. He wouldn't need much adjusting time given this.
  • He'd be a great mentor to Guyton, Smith, and Bebee - we have three young olinemen that are expected to be our future at oline. Your key young players need a veteran to teach them the pro systems. Lamb learned a lot from Amari Cooper. Dak learned from Romo and Mark Sanchez. I could go on. Having Bakhtiari would benefit the young players. Plus, as stated, he knows McCarthy's offense. So, he could teach them the offense if needed.
  • If he needs to play, much like Jason Peters, he is still an excellent player. I think he would give us quite an option at LG. Having Smith, Bakhtiari, Bebee, Martin, and Guyton up front would be an amazing online.
As you can see, I think it's almost a no brainer to try to sign him on a 1 year deal. I understand that he has an injury history. On the bright side, he'd be cheap enough for the Joneses to sign. And, even if he doesn't play much, he's basically an extra oline coach.
As you mentioned also in another post it's kind of like a younger Jason Peters insurance plan.

Myself, I like it for the simple fact that I think he's a better option than Edoga, Guyton or Richards. A proven commodity when healthy.

Guyton needs some bench seasoning if you ask me so I'm still sticking with Tyler Smith as the starting LT against the AFC North and NFC East d-lines on this year's schedule.

jmo

Jfconrow

Reaction score
He’d be a progress stopper. The biggest problem on the OL is how to get Beebee in the lineup

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score

:clap::clap: