Why Would Parcells Tell T.O. He Won't Catch 100 Balls...

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
...before the season even began? 100 catches is an average of 6.25 catches over a 16 game season.

T.O. is clearly a dominant WR with the ability to score anytime he touches the ball. He was open twice today down the field for TD's if Bledsoe would have gotten the ball to him. In spite of that and a horrible performance by Bledsoe he still ended up with 6 catches for 80 yards and a TD.

I may not know as much about football as Parcells, but something tells me you make adjustments to your offensive philosophy when your owner delivers you a football player with the talent of Terrell Owens.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
well, if TO plays like this all year he damn well will catch 100 balls

novadog

Reaction score
To motivate him to prove him wrong?
Same way the tights thing had him almost to 15 regular season TDs with Reid?

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:
...before the season even began? 100 catches is an average of 6.25 catches over a 16 game season.

T.O. is clearly a dominant WR with the ability to score anytime he touches the ball. He was open twice today down the field for TD's if Bledsoe would have gotten the ball to him. In spite of that and a horrible performance by Bledsoe he still ended up with 6 catches for 80 yards and a TD.

I may not know as much about football as Parcells, but something tells me you make adjustments to your offensive philosophy when your owner delivers you a football player with the talent of Terrell Owens.

Damage control for when #81 doesn't "get his". We got a lot of guys we can get the ball to and he may only have 2 catches in a game. JMO.

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
I liked the way that he played today...especially liked how he acted after the TD catch, however, I'll bet he won't get 100 catches this season.

Besides, if you have to average over 6 catches a game for 100, it just got to be more since he only had 4 catches.....all coming in the first half if I'm not mistaken.

Connection20

Reaction score
Jimz31 said:
I liked the way that he played today...especially liked how he acted after the TD catch, however, I'll bet he won't get 100 catches this season.

Besides, if you have to average over 6 catches a game for 100, it just got to be more since he only had 4 catches.....all coming in the first half if I'm not mistaken.

you are mistaken, Im pretty sure that was #81 that caught the TD pass in the 4th quarter

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
I'm more concerned about Parcells' actions than his words. His actions indicate Owens is and will be a major player in this offense.

TO finished with 6 catches, not including at least two called back due to penalty, another one or two long ones overthrown his way, plus a deep one that set up a PI call.

I actually liked the play-calling today but just didn't like the execution after the 2nd quarter. I'm not sure I agree we weren't "agressive" enough. Like Cowlishaw said, we passed 60% of the time and seemed to pass deep on several occasions -- we just didn't connect until late.

And, I could be wrong, but it seemed like Bledsoe was looking deep on several of the plays where the defensive linemen came in and either sacked him or pressured him into a quick throwaway.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
T.O. also had a catch or four brought back because of ridiculous penalties (false start on Terry Glenn) thats just poor discipline. The only player that stepped on the field to play today was T.O. You could see it in his eyes, the way he ran routes, and how vocal he was on the sidelines (in case no one saw him trying to pump the team up after Jax went up 17-10.) He may have missed 'practice' but he sure was worth every penny of that deal today.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica said:

You NEVER give a guy like T.O. an expectation like that.

Then you're setting him up for a possible disappointment and reason to whine.

You tell T.O. he'll be lucky to get 30 receptions so he's pleased if he gets 60.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Connection20 said:
you are mistaken, Im pretty sure that was #81 that caught the TD pass in the 4th quarter

Did you even bother to read the post you quoted ?

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
Dale said:
I'm more concerned about Parcells' actions than his words. His actions indicate Owens is and will be a major player in this offense.

TO finished with 6 catches, not including at least two called back due to penalty, another one or two long ones overthrown his way, plus a deep one that set up a PI call.

I actually liked the play-calling today but just didn't like the execution after the 2nd quarter. I'm not sure I agree we weren't "agressive" enough. Like Cowlishaw said, we passed 60% of the time and seemed to pass deep on several occasions -- we just didn't connect until late.

And, I could be wrong, but it seemed like Bledsoe was looking deep on several of the plays where the defensive linemen came in and either sacked him or pressured him into a quick throwaway.

We did get aggressive at times. But I dont like the 7 yard gained on 1st and 10, followed by a dive. That happened at least 3 times.

Connection20

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Did you even bother to read the post you quoted ?

yes.....yes I did.....4 times. He clearly says in the post "he only had 4 catches....all of them in the first half" ummmmm, he had 6 catches, 2 of which were in teh second half