Why WR at 17 is a no go with Dane Brugler mock

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Everybody knew who the pick was when they took sean lee with them.

lol hell i can say the same thing, i had Dallas picking Elliot and Dak in round 1 and 4 in 2016 since the SR Bowl.
Stop being obtuse.
I'm not talking about week of stuff or 5 mins before.

Brugler told us who LVE was... most had no idea and he told us DAL was really high on him.
Mocks at the time had him round 2-3.

Dane flat knew was the internal Cowboys eval was and what they wanted to do.
You can argue with yourself here but it's simply incorrect. This is factual stuff, not a weird random guess.
Dane knew our FO plans yearly in the draft and was likely used a conduit to break to fans the selections of Taco/LVE ahead of time.

HawaiiCowboy

Reaction score
My worst case scenario is that Love and Ruggs isn't picked in the top 16 and all our targets like Kinlaw, Henderson, and Chaisson are gone. Who do we take? I would love to move back but if we can't get a good deal, Ruggs is BPA here. What do we do? Draft McKinney over Ruggs or maybe a CB?

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
Stop being obtuse.
I'm not talking about week of stuff or 5 mins before.

Brugler told us who LVE was... most had no idea and he told us DAL was really high on him.
Mocks at the time had him round 2-3.

Dane flat knew was the internal Cowboys eval was and what they wanted to do.
You can argue with yourself here but it's simply incorrect. This is factual stuff, not a weird random guess.
Dane knew our FO plans yearly in the draft and was likely used a conduit to break to fans the selections of Taco/LVE ahead of time.
Lol looks like the sense of humor on this forum has went out the window.

Landryhat73

Reaction score
My worst case scenario is that Love and Ruggs isn't picked in the top 16 and all our targets like Kinlaw, Henderson, and Chaisson are gone. Who do we take? I would love to move back but if we can't get a good deal, Ruggs is BPA here. What do we do? Draft McKinney over Ruggs or maybe a CB?
Think we draft Ruggs, then move up a little in the 2nd to draft a corner. A perfect trade target would be with the Bears. They don’t have many picks and by moving up we could probably get one between Johnson, Igbinoghene, Terrell, Fulton, Diggs or Gladney. Think by staying where we are in the 2nd they all will all be gone.

HawaiiCowboy

Reaction score
Everyone keeps talking about if Lamb or Jeudy is there and Chaisson, Kinlaw, Henderson, and Brown are all gone, it's a no brainer to take one of them. What if it's Ruggs and there is no trade down option, is that who we're going with?

Sorry, wanted to delete this post but not sure how. It was answered above but I guess more opinions wouldn't hurt. This post was kind of redundant to my earlier post.

vnick

Reaction score
I think if the main targets are gone and Ruggs is BPA, you take him. I like Lamb and Jeudy the best, but Ruggs isn't far behind.

DanA

Reaction score
1. True story on the DL. In the past the idea was to rotate them heavily. We've been told that is not the plan going forward but instead to ask the best guys to simply play more snaps.
1a. Cobb was more than WR3 because Cooper wasn't 100%. Gallup actually had 1 more snap than Cooper and Cobb wasn't far behind but that's not the usual path. Dak only had 1070 snaps so no a WR3 isn't getting 1000+. That's NEVER happened in Dallas, ever.
1b. But fair point that WR3 "can" be more than a usual WR3.

2. Devin Smith isn't winning WR3. WR3 options are many and will be a good player. The drop as I noted was Ruggs to say Jaylon Raegor or Tee Higgins or someone in this draft.
It's not that big a drop. And even a truly great player would be held back by the role defined for them the next 2+ seasons.

3, You aren't relying on anything but giving them that chance. You have Cedrick Wilson and other vets they must beat out. There are also plenty of vets to be found on the open market.
You wildly overrate the WR3 role. Especially with a true WR1 in Cooper to draw double coverage.

1a. If we drafted a WR at 17 he’d be more than just a slot WR just like Cobb was. And Randall Cobb played 1000+ snaps in 2018. Guess who the coach was.

2. Did I get my wires crossed, weren’t you saying 4th or 5th round for a WR? To be clear, I’d probably take a WR in the 2nd or 3rd.

3. We went from Beasley to Cobb who both we’re pretty important and got solid contracts. Other teams are pricing these players as way more important than you are.

dogberry

Reaction score
I don’t want Henderson to be the second coming of Mile Jenkins.

This is a really good thread.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm admittedly not sure why this has gained steam as a concept.

DAL is a team with like 5/6 questionable 'starting' spots. (OC, SS, DT3, RDE, CB1/2, TE. Of those, WR3 plays the least snaps.

And WR3 was manned by a top 5 WR3 last year. Cobb produced significantly but this team didn't feel it was worth 9m a year. (Smartly, imho). So it now worth pick 17? Your only pick in the top 50 and hopefully your only top 20 pick in the next 2-3 seasons???
Naw fam.

But 17 looks like BPA may be a WR?? It does. So does rounds 2-5 FWIW.
Teams generally don't grade dudes 1-125. DAL has graded them in areas. Elite, R1, R1/R2, R2, R2/3 et al.
Then you can play with them in an are to get to a specific number. I.E. this player was out 5th ranked player....
But if he wasn't elite... and 4 were. And 15 guys were R1... he is essentially just the same as 5-19. Splitting hairs area.

But when pick 51 comes around you may only have 1 or 2 R2 rated guys left. (The team seldom has even 20 guys rated R1 and def seldom had 50+ rated R2 or higher. So now you have say RB rated R1, a WR rated R1 and a DT rated R2/R3 to choose from. RB isn't a realistic option. Not just because of Zeke but Pollard and your positional value here is simply low. So that kinda leaves a WR(say maybe local kids Jaylon Reagor or Denzel Mims) or a DT like also local kid Justin Madubuike. Round 2 is now a really tough call.

Now let's talk Dane Brugler. (BUY HIS GUIDE!!)
He is essentially the best guy doing this stuff now.
Far better than the Espy guys who have mailed it in for years now.

His WR rankings have 4 legit R1 guys.
2 more R1/R2
5 more R2

He has TWENTY-SIX players rated through R4/R5.
That's A LOT.

Compare.

RB: 13
DL: 15
OL: 15 OT, 6 OG, 5 OC so same 26 TOTAL OL as just WR.
S: 11 but none R1 or even R1/R2.

19 CB suggest it is also a deep group.

So what does Dane project DAL to do in his Mar 4 three round mock?

17. Dallas Cowboys – C.J. Henderson, CB, Florida (rated his CB2)
51. Dallas Cowboys – Justin Madubuike, DT, Texas A&M (rated his DL2)
82. Dallas Cowboys – Malik Harrison, LB, Ohio State (rated his LB8)
(Dane knows DAL FO guys and you can see that reflected in his mock. Heavy big school powerhouse choices here; Defensive rebuild focus)

What about WR?
Available at 17.
21 Pit of Despair - Brandon Aiyuk, WR, Arizona State
22. Buffalo Bills – Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU

Available at 51.
60. Baltimore Ravens – Laviska Shenault, WR, Colorado --Dallas kid BTW.
62. Green Bay Packers – Chase Claypool, WR, Notre Dame
64. Seattle Seahawks – KJ Hamler, WR, Penn State

Available at 82.
88. New Orleans Saints – Antonio Gandy-Golden, WR, Liberty
89. Minnesota Vikings – Gabriel Davis, WR, UCF
90. Cleveland Browns (via HOU) – Bryan Edwards, WR, South Carolina

So you enter Round 4 now
drafted CB2, DL2, LB8....
and with THIRTEEN more WRs rated at least R4/R5.
R4 options include UT's combo of Collin Johnson and Devin Duvernay, Dallas and SMU WR James Proche, and Boise State Wr John Hightower who has eerily Gallup-like numbers.
And 9 other guys who'd be a decent or better value.

There is zero reason to overdraft a WR this year.
You have a 20M WR1, a big play monster at WR2 and plenty of ST/depth WR.
A R4 or R5 WR could come in and lead that group of back ups with starting upside.

None of that draft depth even touches on the fact WR is the only position where talent like Dez Bryant and Antonio Brown sits unsigned.

I don't see a mock in his draft guide, just a top 100 list.

He has WR Justin Jefferson ranked at #17 overall.