Wide Receivers Who Can Stretch A Defense..

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looking through the draft guides I came up with a half-arsed list of potential wide receivers who can stretch a defense-- meaning they have the numbers and the reputation in college of being a deep threat.

I used 4.45 in the forty as the cut-off speed. In other words I'm looking for guys that are more like Glenn than they are TO.

Along with their name/school/size/speed I'll give you a rough idea of what round they expect to be drafted in:

Devin Thomas, Michigan State, 6'1 216 4.43 1st
Desean Jackson, Cal, 5'9 169 4.40 1st/2nd
Mario Manningham, Michigan, 5'11 181 4.45 2nd/3rd
Andre Caldwell, Florida, 6' 204 4.39 2nd/3rd
Eddie Royal, Virg Tech, 5'9 184 4.46 3rd/4th (Yeah, I said "4.45" but I think this kid has enough quickness to be a decent deep threat)
William Franklin, Missouri, 6' 214 4.38 3rd/4th
Dexter Jackson, Appal State, 5'9 182 4.36 3rd/4th

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
I know Hardy is more like TO but with his speed (4.44 or something)

He's a pretty decent deep threat.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Hardy is an everything threat, Kelly is ruining our chances of getting him late in the draft, and I don't think we'll take a WR with our 1st pick, it's already borderline we take one in the first at all.

Stupid 40's, they've been crushing my dreams all off season.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ajk23az;2029705 said:
I know Hardy is more like TO but with his speed (4.44 or something)

He's a pretty decent deep threat.

Hardy was timed more around 4.51. He's really not considered a "quick" guy-- too tall. The biggest complaint about him is that he doesn't play to that 4.51 speed.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2029712 said:
Hardy was timed more around 4.51. He's really not considered a "quick" guy-- too tall. The biggest complaint about him is that he doesn't play to that 4.51 speed.
Hardy ran a 4.45 at the Combine. But I think the P. Burress comparison is much better than TO.

Reaction score
Desean Jackson has the best game speed in the draft. He can fly when he is running down the field. He can stretch secondaries and when the ball is in his hands, no one is as fluid and natural with the ball.

adamknite

Reaction score
If we waited till later in the draft not to take a WR (not in the 1st and possibly not in the 2nd), I really like Andre Caldwell and William Franklin. If we could nab one of them in say round 3, I'd be happy.

ajk23az

Reaction score
Anyone like Marcus Monk? He ran a 4.43 and 4.41 at his pro day. 36 inch vertical and 10'2'' long jump.

He has had some injury problems though.

He is also a big guy, 6'5'' 215 lbs.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TheCount;2029709 said:
I don't think we'll take a WR with our 1st pick, it's already borderline we take one in the first at all.
Smart man.

I'd be :eek: if we went WR at either 22 or 28.

sago1

Reaction score
Yes, but some experts have called DeSean Jackson the biggest knucklehead in the draft and besides his size/light weight scares me. I think he'll do just fine as a return man but find it hard to believe he'd survive for long as a starter.

Am troubled by Jerry saying we weren't going to draft a WR in the first round. Now I can easily understand he's hoping/planning on using our #28 to trade for a quality WR (Bouldin, RWilliams, Chad Johnson). If he's unsuccessful, then who do we use that pick on -- if we've already ruled out a WR. Would leave us drafting a RB (Stewart? or Felix Jones), go BPA or trade down to pick up extra picks in 2nd & 3rd rounds which can be used on positions of need. I'm hoping Brohm has a following & several teams willing/eager trade with us to grab him.

BTW: Can't remember which mock draft had us trading down from #22 to the Titans for their 24# & Pacman. The difference in trade follow is 40 points but that essentially works out to us giving up a 4th rounder. And by the way, CB Mike Jenkins is on the board when we supposedly will make that trade. Titans would want the trade cause they believe we will draft Sweed & they want him. Are the Titans follow Browns GM in allowing rumors of Cowboy activities to change what they plan to do?

ajk23az

Reaction score
sago1;2029734 said:
Yes, but some experts have called DeSean Jackson the biggest knucklehead in the draft and besides his size/light weight scares me. I think he'll do just fine as a return man but find it hard to believe he'd survive for long as a starter.

Am troubled by Jerry saying we weren't going to draft a WR in the first round. Now I can easily understand he's hoping/planning on using our #28 to trade for a quality WR (Bouldin, RWilliams, Chad Johnson). If he's unsuccessful, then who do we use that pick on -- if we've already ruled out a WR. Would leave us drafting a RB (Stewart? or Felix Jones), go BPA or trade down to pick up extra picks in 2nd & 3rd rounds which can be used on positions of need. I'm hoping Brohm has a following & several teams willing/eager trade with us to grab him.

BTW: Can't remember which mock draft had us trading down from #22 to the Titans for their 24# & Pacman. The difference in trade follow is 40 points but that essentially works out to us giving up a 4th rounder. And by the way, CB Mike Jenkins is on the board when we supposedly will make that trade. Titans would want the trade cause they believe we will draft Sweed & they want him. Are the Titans follow Browns GM in allowing rumors of Cowboy activities to change what they plan to do?

Honestly, I would love to get Stewart in the first. He's going to be very good. I wouldn't mind Felix either since he can return kicks and is a huge home run threat. Imagine having PacMan and Felix returning kickoffs....SCARY.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Jerry saying that he doesn't think they go wr in the first round of the draft is smart. There just isn't anyone worth a first round pick this year, its just so weak at the top its pathetic. Trading one of the picks for Roy Williams, Bolden, or Chad Johnson would definitely be the way to go if that opportunity presents itself.

superpunk

Reaction score
stanback.jpg

You guys are hilarious.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind A. Caldwell in the second . Good speed , good size , and nice #s . Speed is a little overrated on these big guys too . A long stride can gain seperation between a DB pretty quicky . Guys like Sweed and Hardy can get away from you in just a couple of steps and make up some serious ground before the DB can recover .

jjktkk

Reaction score
The question with these wr's in the upcoming draft that have the speed to stretch the field is are they big enough and strong enough to get off the line of scrimmage and escape the db jamming them? You hope you can get a big, strong, guy who can beat the jam, but still explosive enough to stretch the defense. IMO I would take Sweed with the #28th pick. Overall he ranks right up there with the other wr's in the draft, plus drafting him would be a good pr move for the Cowboys with Sweed being a former Horn and Texas native. In addition to picking up Sweed maybe the Boys could get lucky and have one of those smaller, speedy, guys like Dexter Jackson, or another Texas guy in Houston's Donnie Avery fall to them in the later rounds. If the Boys address the rb and cb positions I could see them picking up those 2 with Sweed potentially being a TO type receiver and a Jackson or Avery being a speedy slot :starspin receiver who could also return punts and kickoffs.

ThatsmyQB

Benched
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2029732 said:
Smart man.

I'd be :eek: if we went WR at either 22 or 28.

Then plan on going :eek: cause if Devin Thomas is there at #22 I think we'll take him!