Wilbon: Fan Depreciation at FedEx

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repost. An interesting column on the environment at FedEx with opposing fans taking over.

By Michael Wilbon
Washington Post

My friend Tony was certain when he saw an increasing number of gold towels in the minutes before Monday night's game that it was a Commanders promotion. The team's colors, after all, are burgundy and gold. So some bank or car dealership or the team itself had to be pushing something and was using gold towels to do it. Made perfect sense, since it seems every other night now fans are being asked to wear all red or all white or all black and wave matching pompoms or towels.

Except the people waving the gold towels were also wearing, mostly, black jerseys. Pittsburgh Steelers jerseys. There appeared to be, what, 15,000 of them? No, more. They were in the upper deck, the club seats, lower bowl, even the "Dream Seats" right down on the field. They were everywhere. Maybe, what, 25,000? More?

I got a text message during the first few plays from a friend in Chicago asking me when the NFL started staging neutral-field games. I assured him we were at FedEx Field. They were like an infestation of cicadas, the Steelers fans, so loud they effectively drowned out Commanders fans. They were like a storm of pirates who satisfied themselves at the expense of home folks who just sat and watched. That the Commanders had to use a silent count because they couldn't hear signals through all the Steelers noise is, well, alarming. It remains the lasting impression of Monday night's Commanders-Steelers game.

And it's likely to happen again in the very next home game, Sunday, Nov. 16, because the Cowboys are coming to town. Two sets of NFL fans represent, as the kids say, bigger and bolder than all the others. The Steelers and the Cowboys, in that order. The Commanders like to say they have the best fans in the league. Please, they're not even in the game for consideration of that distinction. You think Steelers fans, no matter how late the game time or how much they hate the stadium, would sell their tickets and let Commanders fans gobble them up? No chance. You think somewhere between one-third and one-fourth of Eagles, Broncos, Browns, Bears, Giants, Seahawks or Packers fans would sell their seats to brokers, when their team is a serious contender no less? No chance.

The saddest thing of all is that I completely understand most of the reasons why the people who own season tickets bailed on Monday's game. The e-mails that are flying back and forth on this subject -- and it is the No. 1 Commanders-related conversation in the wake of the game -- state any number of perfectly logical reasons why Monday night was unappealing.

The traffic during rush hour on a weeknight, as opposed to Sunday afternoon, is unbearable. It's true. The three biggest traffic nightmares in the NFL belong to the Patriots, Commanders and Cowboys. The Cowboys are building a new place that will presumably improve traffic and parking. And at least the Patriots now have an entertainment complex right there at the stadium that provides fans an incentive to come early, stay late and avoid the mess if they want to. Commanders fans have no such option.

Drunkenness and the vile behavior it leads to is a problem at a great many NFL games, but especially on Monday night. Confession: I own Commanders season tickets in the club section, but my wife won't attend Monday night home games (which is fine with her husband). I dread the day when I have to tell my son he's not going, either. I don't need an NFL or Commanders report to tell me about the filthy language and nasty behavior in the stands Monday night or what the league is going to do about it, which is nothing. I saw it firsthand and received a couple of dozen e-mails on the subject. It was abominable, and the Steelers fans were just as responsible as Commanders fans.

The couple I gave my tickets to left the game early because the husband had every reason to believe the drunken fan sitting behind them was going to vomit on his wife's head. No, this isn't unique to FedEx Field. And it probably speaks to the civility of a good many Commanders fans that they prefer to simply stay away rather than add to the confrontation.

But what is unique and beyond the control of fans is that a 90,000-seat stadium is 25,000 seats too many. There's no team or city in the league that should have a stadium with more than 70,000 seats. Tickets are too easy to come by. And at least one-quarter of the people at FedEx go for the purpose of getting ripped, which, along with the excessive traffic, lack of close parking and inadequate public transportation, makes the Commanders game-day experience probably the most uncomfortable experience in the NFL. I've covered games in all 31 stadiums, many of them 20 times or more. It's an eight-hour day for most Commanders fans and many just don't have that kind of time on a weeknight as well as the tolerance to endure the intoxicated bums who make the game itself completely impossible to enjoy.

Nobody should have to spend an entire game shielding his or her children from a barrage of profane language, drunkenness and the threat of fights. I need to pay, in my case, $5,400 a year to get that? The NFL established a fan code of conduct in the offseason to reduce all of the above, yet what I saw and have been told about Monday night was business as usual. I guess what I'm saying to people who bailed to watch the game on television is, I get it. But it is interesting that fans of other NFL teams are willing to put up with the same conditions to see their team. And D.C. has always been an unusual market in that so many people who live in greater Washington are from elsewhere and maintain their rooting loyalties.

The local obsession with the blood-rival Cowboys involves yet another dynamic: race. Older men explained to me nearly 30 years ago that when the Commanders were the only all-white team remaining in the NFL and owner George Preston Marshall was vowing he'd never have a black player, the Cowboys were building their franchise with not only black players, but men from tiny historically black colleges. This had and has special appeal in D.C. Many a black Washingtonian long ago vowed his everlasting allegiance to the Cowboys (or Raiders, who built much the same way, around players like Art Shell and Gene Upshaw, but rarely come to Washington to play).

So once again, a week from Sunday, the Cowboys will have their supporters, more than they would find tickets for in Green Bay or Chicago or Giants Stadium, making a racket in FedEx Field. Maybe Jim Zorn will have to prepare his players to treat this as a road game. Maybe the Commanders will just stay in those all-burgundy uniforms that made them look like a road team out of the Western Athletic Conference or the Mountain West. Maybe fans of other teams will circle Washington on the schedule because if they can't get tickets where they live they know the pickings are easier here. One Monday night might have been a fluke. Two home games in a row would be a developing situation.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Our fans may travel well, but the Dallas crowd is another story. Remember that Steeler game a few years ago?

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
bbgun;2416278 said:
Our fans may travel well, but the Dallas crowd is another story. Remember that Steeler game a few years ago?
Dallas fans are at the bottom of the list of NFL fans. sure they have a lot but they're quick to sell a ticket and not loud at all.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I can't speak on how good the crowd is, normally, as I've only been to two Dallas games lives and both times I went (In 2005 against the Eagles and the Cards) the stadium was VERY loud from start to finish. It was a blast.

Great article by Wilbon there. I enjoyed that.

jdnelson103

Reaction score
Rampage;2416281 said:
Dallas fans are at the bottom of the list of NFL fans. sure they have a lot but they're quick to sell a ticket and not loud at all.

I don't know what fans you're talking about, but that statement couldn't be further from the truth.

Also, anyone who thinks the new stadium location will ease traffic concerns, is sorely mistaken. Arlington is not built to handle the number of vehicles there will be during football games. Not yet anyway, and it will be a few years before it's even close.

Trust me, one of my offices is about 1/4 mile from the stadium, and I live about 5 miles from it.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Rampage;2416281 said:
I would think that somewhat true of the home crowd from what I've seen on TV, but I wouldn't say that about the crowd at away games. Dallas always has enthusiastic fans at Washington, Arizona, and Atlanta, just to name a few places.

I don't know if it's a drunken mess like this at Texas Stadium or not, having never been there.

The bigger point of the article and one I agree with entirely is that it's not enjoyable in most cases to go to an NFL game anymore. And it will continue to be that way until the NFL forces teams to do something about it. Maybe it won't happen until some fan gets thrown over a railing and plunges to his death.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Double Trouble;2416354 said:
I would think that somewhat true of the home crowd from what I've seen on TV, but I wouldn't say that about the crowd at away games. Dallas always has enthusiastic fans at Washington, Arizona, and Atlanta, just to name a few places.

I don't know if it's a drunken mess like this at Texas Stadium or not, having never been there.

The bigger point of the article and one I agree with entirely is that it's not enjoyable in most cases to go to an NFL game anymore. And it will continue to be that way until the NFL forces teams to do something about it. Maybe it won't happen until some fan gets thrown over a railing and plunges to his death.
yeah the Dallas Fans who go on the road are a much better group than those in Texas stadium.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Why does Washington get quality writers like Wilbon while we're stuck with the Little Ball of Hate? :(

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I really hope that we have a huge contingent of fans there at Fed Ex. It upsets the Commander fans to no end and it apparently also bothered the players.

It isn't often that Dallas fans have the opportunity to do something to upset both the Commander players and fans at the same time... so I hope people who live in that area really go and represent Dallas well.

What is bad is that the Commanders front office is now handing out "terrible towels" to their fans, which is directly copying what the Steelers have done since the 70's. Talk about weak. The next game after getting creamed by the Steelers. :laugh2:

jdnelson103

Reaction score
I've been to many games at Texas Stadium, and, yes, there are planty of people who've had a little too much to drink. My self included most of the time. But I've only ever had one altercation, and that was with a few Eagles fans that were sitting behind me who didn't care for the statement on my shirt. They learned to live with it.

The best away game experience I've ever had was in St Louis, the game we knocked Warner out and Bulger came in for good. It seemed like the majority of people there were Dallas fans.

I hate to bag on Cincinnati fans, but I've only been to one game there, and the fans were terrible losers. I was fifteen years old, and we had a bunch of drunk Bengals fans telling me how much of a loser I was because I was just a bandwagon jumper. They never thought to ask where I was from?

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Rampage;2416369 said:
yeah the Dallas Fans who go on the road are a much better group than those in Texas stadium.

I saw the Cinci game at Texas Stadium then onto see the Arizona game in Glendale. What category do I fit into?

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Rampage;2416369 said:

How many times have you been to a game at Texas stadium?

superpunk

Reaction score
Arch Stanton;2416382 said:
I saw the Cinci game at Texas Stadium then onto see the Arizona game in Glendale. What category do I fit into?

*internet assplodes*

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2416370 said:
Why does Washington get quality writers like Wilbon while we're stuck with the Little Ball of Hate? :(

Wilbon can be a jerk in his own right.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
bbgun;2416278 said:

I dont think its about fans traveling. I think its about we have fans all across the nation in every city.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
Rampage;2416281 said:

This is a myth that is perpetuated by people with some sort of agenda. I have been to many games in many stadiums. The Cowboys fans are as loud as any I have ever encountered.

I don't get this self hate of the fan base that is totally unwaranted.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
BigDFan5;2416384 said:
How many times have you been to a game at Texas stadium?
once to the Washington game this season. you'd figure the crowd would be loud for the last skins-boys game in Texas stadium.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
Rampage;2416440 said:
once to the Washington game this season. you'd figure the crowd would be loud for the last skins-boys game in Texas stadium.

I guess you just want to believe what you want and reality be damned.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Surprise theebs isn't in here yet. There is a discussion of the Dallas Crowd. Normally, he flocks to these threads like flies to poop.