Wild fact about Witten and the 2003 draft

conner01

Reaction score
TE Bennie Joppru went 28 picks ahead of him, and never caught an NFL pass.

I know that hindsight is 20/20, and the careers of draftees often dont play out as they should. But that's crazy
Happens a lot. The draft is not an exact science for sure. The odds of getting better players are better the higher you pick but there are avg to bust players taken at the first spot in the draft.

John813

Reaction score
I will never to this day quite understand how he fell to the 3rd. IIRC he had a low first rating by some.

He was also pretty athletic for a TE. RAS score of 9.62 out of 10.
4.65 40, great size, do it all TE.
Glad he fell. I was pissed when they took Al Johnson over him in the 2nd.

kskboys

Reaction score
What happens is that teams fall in love w/ 2 things about draftees: 1)Upside. 2)Flash.

Jopalop had bigger flash and upside than Witten. Witten was a chain moving TE and was the best of all time at that. For some really weird reason, many today, both fans and NFL personnel, think that O players must be big play guys. The truth is, the big play guys are easily neutralized w/o the chain movers. And the chain movers are rendered less effective w/o the big play guys to stretch the field.

Now, the type of WR that is most conducive to winning super bowls is your chain movers. An absolute must have for a super bowl run.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
What happens is that teams fall in love w/ 2 things about draftees: 1)Upside. 2)Flash.

Jopalop had bigger flash and upside than Witten. Witten was a chain moving TE and was the best of all time at that. For some really weird reason, many today, both fans and NFL personnel, think that O players must be big play guys. The truth is, the big play guys are easily neutralized w/o the chain movers. And the chain movers are rendered less effective w/o the big play guys to stretch the field.

Now, the type of WR that is most conducive to winning super bowls is your chain movers. An absolute must have for a super bowl run.
I just dont how a TE that went #41 can wind having 0 NFL catches. You have to figure at some point he would at least catch one on accident

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

In his prime Witten was alot more than a chain mover. He was a great RAC TE and playmaker deep down the seam

kskboys

Reaction score
I never understood how Witten made it to the 3rd round. He was dominant at Tennessee and was rumored to be a possible late 1st before the draft.
TE's had not become such a valuable part of NFL O's at that time. Not many were taken in the 1st.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Was he dominant at Tennessee?

39-493-5TD was his best year.

That's alright but I wouldn't call it dominant.
We had a dominant TEAM, that made everyone else's job easier. Why do so many Cowboys fans not comprehend this.

It was easy to play TE with Emmitt, Irvin, Harper, Moose, Aikman and our OLine. The defense had to pick their poison.

All of their jobs were easier because of it. Move Emmitt to the Lions and see what his career would have looked like.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I will never to this day quite understand how he fell to the 3rd. IIRC he had a low first rating by some.

He was also pretty athletic for a TE. RAS score of 9.62 out of 10.
4.65 40, great size, do it all TE.
Glad he fell. I was pissed when they took Al Johnson over him in the 2nd.

Witten's height, weight, and speed numbers coming out of Tennessee were identical to Gronk coming out of Arizona.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
We had a dominant TEAM, that made everyone else's job easier. Why do so many Cowboys fans not comprehend this.

It was easy to play TE with Emmitt, Irvin, Harper, Moose, Aikman and our OLine. The defense had to pick their poison.

All of their jobs were easier because of it. Move Emmitt to the Lions and see what his career would have looked like.
Witten....not Jay Novacek lol

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Chain moving is about more than just the receiver/runner. Well designed plays, a QB who can see and read the field...clever enough to keep extra coverage off the intended target.

I think what made Witten was his connection with Romo. They just seemed to know each other so well and what needed done.

kskboys

Reaction score
Was he dominant at Tennessee?

39-493-5TD was his best year.

That's alright but I wouldn't call it dominant.
That's what I was thinking. I don't remember any hoopla about him coming out, and I remember the Cowboys getting some flak for drafting him.