Wild fact about Witten and the 2003 draft

kskboys

Reaction score
Chain moving is about more than just the receiver/runner. Well designed plays, a QB who can see and read the field...clever enough to keep extra coverage off the intended target.

I think what made Witten was his connection with Romo. They just seemed to know each other so well and what needed done.
Of course.

However, you have to also consider that Witten got a high volume of passes because our wonderful GM let the OL fall apart completely.

Witten was already an established pass catcher when Romo came in, BTW.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
TE Bennie Joppru went 28 picks ahead of him, and never caught an NFL pass.

I know that hindsight is 20/20, and the careers of draftees often dont play out as they should. But that's crazy
The NFL draft is a crapshoot. It always has been and always will be.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I just dont how a TE that went #41 can wind having 0 NFL catches. You have to figure at some point he would at least catch one on accident
that's the reality of the draft it's not a perfect science, that's why when people freak out here when we take a mazi in the 1st and then want to give them time to develop or here's one that's on a parallel correlation, Schoonmaker everyone's up in arms well at least he caught some tough passes 8 for 65 2 tds as a 2nd and 3rd passing option but #1 blocking option and wont truly IMHO be bust..he will improve ..

Last edited:

kskboys

Reaction score
The NFL draft is a crapshoot. It always has been and always will be.
Correct. Which is why you need a heady GM who examines every player's physical skillset, mental makeup, instincts, intelligence, scheme fit, and motor.

A smart GM would've never taken Trysten, Escobar, Jaylon, Kelvin and possible Sam Williams as high as we took them.

kskboys

Reaction score
that's the reality of the draft it's not a perfect science, that's why when people freak out here when we take a mazi in the 1st and then want to give them time to develop or here's one that's on a parallel correlation, Schoonmaker everyone's up in arms well at least he caught some tough passes 8 for 65 2 tds as a 2nd and 3rd blocking option and wont truly IMHO be bust..he will improve ..
Schoonmaker was a position that was not needed and we overdrafted him. The pick makes zero sense, and that's why people were/are up in arms about his selection. Deservedly so.

Have no idea what to make of Mazi, but I do know he wasn't that great in college.

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
Of course.

However, you have to also consider that Witten got a high volume of passes because our wonderful GM let the OL fall apart completely.

Witten was already an established pass catcher when Romo came in, BTW.
I remember when he caught 20+ against the Giants. What a game he had.

Oops, I was wrong, it was 18 passes and they still lost. :laugh:

coach316

Reaction score
He really wasn't. He'd go downfield occasionally to keep the D honest, but he never was a YAC guy. What he did was get open and catch the ball better than any TE ever.
I would have to agree. Witten is my boy, but the one knock I had on him is that after he caught the ball, he would go down if a feather hit him from the thighs and below.

kskboys

Reaction score
I would have to agree. Witten is my boy, but the one knock I had on him is that after he caught the ball, he would go down if a feather hit him from the thighs and below.
I love Witten for what he was, the best chain moving TE of all time. I have no need to declare he was good at something he wasn't to prop him up. Witten is 4th all time in receptions(2nd for TE's), he needs no propping.

Flamma

Reaction score
TE Bennie Joppru went 28 picks ahead of him, and never caught an NFL pass.

I know that hindsight is 20/20, and the careers of draftees often dont play out as they should. But that's crazy
How much of that has to do with who drafts you? Bennie was drafted to a garbage team. Even though Witten had a good year with Testaverde at QB, he only consistently got close to or over 1000 yards when Romo was throwing to him.

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
I will never to this day quite understand how he fell to the 3rd. IIRC he had a low first rating by some.

He was also pretty athletic for a TE. RAS score of 9.62 out of 10.
4.65 40, great size, do it all TE.
Glad he fell. I was pissed when they took Al Johnson over him in the 2nd.

I will never to this day quite understand how he fell to the 3rd. IIRC he had a low first rating by some.

He was also pretty athletic for a TE. RAS score of 9.62 out of 10.
4.65 40, great size, do it all TE.
Glad he fell. I was pissed when they took Al Johnson over him in the 2nd.
Wow. Al Johnson. That’s a blast from the past…

Our drafts were very sketchy pre-Will McClay.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I wanted to draft Witten in the 1st.

I cussed Parcells when they skipped him in the 2nd.
It's funny, I feel like Witten was on every fans radar and was a good prospect but for some reason he fell on draft day

Mcsports

Reaction score
Frank Coyle of Draft Insiders' Digest had Witten ranked No. 30 overall that year, ahead of Al Johnson, Dallas Clark and Troy Polamalu (among others).

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He really wasn't. He'd go downfield occasionally to keep the D honest, but he never was a YAC guy. What he did was get open and catch the ball better than any TE ever.
Witten also gave you something as a blocker. Not so much in later years, but when younger he did. Parcells was probably a good influence for that.
Blocking show up in the stats, but it does show up in wins.

Yeah, not great at YAC, and got worse at it as the years went on. Probably the last 5 years he was routinely tiptoeing out of bounds instead of taking contact with guys 50lbs lighter than he was. Infuriating.

I went to look for his *failed* YAC against the Seahawks that led to the Romo Bobble. Couldn't make half a yard of YAC. Absolutely stoned. And that was when he was young.

But while doing so I found yet another guy totally failing. Another guy who made the "Romo Choke" possible.
Watch the right side of the line. #80 turns around to watch the kick instead of blocking his man. The man who tackled Romo. Fasano literally did not touch him. Did not even *try*. Probably why he wasn't with the team then next year. Inexcusable.
1st down or TD if Fasano does a tenth of his job. I don't recall anyone ever pointing out this fail before. Many have pointed out Grammatica and his sad little pushy pushy attempt at blocking. But he was a kicker, and a tiny one at that. He at least tried and did something. Fasano was a TE who stupidly just turned around and did nothing. Ugh.
Also never discussed. Why didn't we go for it? At least *threaten* to go for it to draw them offsides for a first down?
4th and 1/2 a yard and the 1 1/2 yard line. First down with a penalty. Al Michaels: "All they will need is a field goal to win the game. And they've got the best clutch kicker in America this year in Josh Brown".
I thought we were just dead as we ran out the FG team. Seattle would throw at The Biscuit until they were in FG range. Josh Brown booms the winner. Inevitable.
Marion the Barbarian can't make half a yard? On 4th and 1-3 that year, 3 attempts, Marion had 1 TD and 2 1stD. Parcells punked.
I felt *hope* when Romo bobbled the ball because that gave us a chance to win.
Ewgh. Watching more, Seattle 1st down off the goal line. The game wasn't over at that point. All we needed was a FG. Or a safety. If we force them to punt, maybe we need 20 yards to get in FG range. Dallas had all of its timeouts. And ... the defense gives up a 20 yard run on 1st down.
Then Seattle can't move the ball. They kick. We get the ball at the 50. If we just don't get blown off on 1st down, instead of 2 seconds left on the clock when we get it back, we have 42. Plenty of time to get in FG range and win the game.
Even the Hail Mary. The jumpers just clip it and the ball lands on the turf between Glenn and Crayton just standing there. Those guys failing at the end of the game, just like 2007.
What an *ocean* of fail across the team at the end of the game. But the headline: "Romo Chokes".

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Schoonmaker was a position that was not needed and we overdrafted him. The pick makes zero sense, and that's why people were/are up in arms about his selection. Deservedly so.
There was endless predraft squawk that we *needed* to draft a starting TE. Even after the Schoonmaker pick, I remember people rationalizing the reach with "well, there was a run on TEs, and we needed to draft one".
I thought that was pretty stupid, as I was totally fine and dandy with Ferguson as our starter. Not proven, but showed me more than enough to *happily* pencil him in as the starter. In his rookie season was already comparable to Schulz that year.
Made no sense to you and me, but that was the talk I remember on TE going in and out of the draft.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
How much of that has to do with who drafts you? Bennie was drafted to a garbage team. Even though Witten had a good year with Testaverde at QB, he only consistently got close to or over 1000 yards when Romo was throwing to him.
TEs who are a threat are hard to find, but much of their production is more situation dependent than anything else.
Lots of guys can run 5 yards downfield, cut under zone coverage, and churn out good TE production. You just need a QB who's competent enough to throw over the middle and not get picked. Then if you get the targets, the yardage racks up.