Will Backyard Bill play Romo ?

StoneyBurk

Reaction score
With the line in disaray will he finally play Tony? When the Panthers went to the Super Bowl they started the season with the veteran Rodney Peete. After the first game they went with the undrafted Jake Delhomme and the team took off.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
I didn't know the line was in disarray. The were average. They weren't the reason for Drew sucking.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BP said Drew will start Sunday.
He also said the line played decent, seen some encouraging things. Said the Jags did not get as much pressure as it seemed. They still need work, but did ok.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
StoneyBurk said:
bledsoe is hurt ! Why not give Romo a chance

Well according to everyone exceot a few fans, Bledsoe is not hurt.

I sure hope we don't throw in Romo, I am interested in winning more than 6 games thia year

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:

I sure hope we don't throw in Romo, I am interested in winning more than 6 games thia year

:rolleyes:

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
Which means that Bledsoe is not ADMITTING to being hurt. Sideline reports from the game, his actions on the sideline and his own weak moment admission to Mickey Spagnola say that he is hurt (or was on Sunday).

I too would like to win more than 6 games which is why I'm leaning toward hoping Romo get to take over. One more game like this week from Bledsoe and it will become a huge issue and I would expect to see Bill make the change.

maxsports

Reaction score
Romo will not help us win more than 6 games. Throwing well in the pre-season does not equate to the regular season. Putiing in Romo now is just an overreaction. The loss is not all on Bledsoe. There were many culprits!!!

Jake0

Reaction score
maxsports said:
Romo will not help us win more than 6 games. Throwing well in the pre-season does not equate to the regular season. Putiing in Romo now is just an overreaction. The loss is not all on Bledsoe. There were many culprits!!!

Oh please, even if everyone wasn't at their best yesterday, the talent we have around the QB alone is enough to win games if the QB is anywhere above terrible. Badsoe was below the terrible line and we lost. No ball control and early picks in the first series after the defense just got off the field wore them down.

Many other players got exposed because of badsoe's bad play. The only play that you can't truly put on Badsoe is the line, and they were okay, but guess what, Romo alleviates bad play by the line with mobility.

Badsoe must go once the bye week hits.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
maxsports said:
Another absolute assurance on this point. Can someone show me the passage in the Book of Revelations or maybe the Quatrain where Nostrodamus predicted this; where this is written?

Playing well in preseason may not necessarily equate to playing well in the regular season...we won't know until we see Romo play in regular season.

But one thing is for sure...playing piss poor in the regular season equates to playing piss poor in the regular season. And that is what we saw from Bledsoe...piss poor play.

Like Parcells I'm willing to give Bledsoe another shot at it but if he does no better against the 'Skins then it will be time to Find Out what Romo can do in the regular season.

GlitzCowboy

Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:

That's unfortunate. I didn't realize this was such a one-shot deal for so many fans. In my humble opinion though, we're in the process of building something that aims just a little higher then that mark. And I'm not convinced Bledsoe fits in to those long term plans. I'm also afraid he could single-handedly destroy those plans if he were to play for a year or two more then just up and retire. Lets do this switch now so our quarterback can grow along with the rest of our young team. Wait and suddenly the rest of our team is starting to peak as we toss in an inexperianced quarterback for his first game (or even worse, actually coming off a SB win and getting set back how far?). More then likely too, he hits the big lights after Bledsoe goes down, which literally throws him right to the wolves if it's later on in the season. Lets do this now so we can lose with Romo while we still can afford to lose a few games here at the beginning of the season, that's what I say. It's either now or sometime in the near-future. I'd just rather not get something only to have to give it up while we are forced to start all over again. It's already been a long road, we all need to just stop looking for the closest rest-stop and endure that last hour until we get home. We are NOT there yet children, cross your legs and wait! We may be a 1x Super Bowl contending team with Bledsoe but we are NOT a team in contention for anything after that. We're close, lets not get antsy and lets take this one home. And since when in Dallas do we do things half-azz? We aren't the other teams looking for one here or there, we're the Dallas Cowboys, we're looking for it all! All is just something Bledsoe can't give us. I'll take 6 this year if it means #6 next year with #7 & #8 closely following behind.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
"Backyard" Bill ..... :laugh2:

backyard-drills.jpg

Doomsday101

Reaction score
StoneyBurk said:
With the line in disaray will he finally play Tony? When the Panthers went to the Super Bowl they started the season with the veteran Rodney Peete. After the first game they went with the undrafted Jake Delhomme and the team took off.

Uh let’s see? NO. BP has said this a number of different ways and yet this continues. Only QB controversy is the one in your head and that of some others. I’m not opposed to Romo and there could come a point in the season where he will get into games but I don’t see this desperation move taking place unless Bledsoe is hurt or later in the season should he fail. But after one game? Come on

Stautner

Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Uh let’s see? NO. BP has said this a number of different ways and yet this continues. Only QB controversy is the one in your head and that of some others. I’m not opposed to Romo and there could come a point in the season where he will get into games but I don’t see this desperation move taking place unless Bledsoe is hurt or later in the season should he fail. But after one game? Come on

I agree completely Doomsday.

Besides, the Peete/Delhome deal StoneyBurke talked about was different.

Peete had never been a solid NFL starter and Delhomme had a little (though not much) NFL experience and was specifically brought in to become the starter.

Bledsoe has (and presumably still is/can be) a solid NFL starter and Romo is a developmental player. Granted, Romo has shown a lot in preseason, and I'm personally not convinced that Romo wouldn't be better, but he is a gamble, and if we put him in and the gamble fails the season could be trashed very early on.

Bledsoe deserves more than one game.

Reaction score
First of all, to answer the original question, no, I do not think Bill will bench Drew unless he looks against the Commanders like he did against Jacksonville. Unfortunately, should that happen, it will probably come too late for Romo to do us any good. God (and my entire neighborhood) knows I was screaming at the top of my lungs before halftime that something's wrong, he's screwing the pooch & it's obvious to everyone, put Tony in there now! Needless to say, that's not exactly what was said, but such things as language filters prevent me from repeating it.

Why BP didn't yank him, we shall never know. No, he didn't lose the game all by himself, but I submit that had he continued playing like his normal, accurate self, we would have won the game handily as we all thought we were well on the way to doing before his performance took a nosedive. Yes, his meager effort after whatever happened to change said performance was hampered by penalties occuring at the most inopertune times but these alone would not have been enough to stop our offensive machine had he completed throws we all know he can make with confidence. Our D's poor showing as the game wore on was a direct result of this. I've been an outspoken Parcell's supporter since the get go, but this loss must be placed directly on his shoulders for not taking him out when something was so obviously wrong (read injured) and doing what was best for the team.

Should Drew have been given the benefit of the doubt & gotten the start next week? Unequivocally. Should he continue to start if he plays at or close to the level he played last week? Without a doubt, no. But, until that happens, he is our starter and will continue to be.

Why is it that we all feel we must break into separate camps & defend our opinions to the point of saying things that would never be said to one another face to face? The anonymity of the internet is why. As a lifelong Cowboy fan, I support both Bledsoe and Romo, as I do every player on this team, whether I like them or not. But, as a devoted fan who has shed blood (punching walls), sweat, and yes, tears over the almost 4 decades I've followed the Cowboys, I reserve the right - in fact am entitled to the right - to call out the coach, his staff, or any player who is not holding up his end of the bargain. Putting Tony in last week due to an injured starter could not have been any worse than what we got by sticking with Drew and who knows, he may well have surprised the heck out of the lot of us. I, for one, believe he would've done us proud.

StarAmongStars

Reaction score
StoneyBurk said:

Delhomme dropped an egg yesterday too...AT HOME. So does this mean he should be benched too?

Get over it...Romo isn't touching Bledsoe this year.:laugh1:

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
StoneyBurk said:
It is tempting, but I do not believe lightning ever strikes for us. We are not the Panthers, or the Patriots.

If Romo starts, you can mail this season in, as there will be no playoffs.

Preaseason is preseason, and Romo may have success in a few games early on, but he will struggle after that once there is enough game film on him. That is the beauty of the NFL...each game you play gets tougher and tougher as the season goes on.

I don't believe Romo is ready for the keys to the Rolls Royce just yet.