News: Will CB Jourdan Lewis Prove his Worth in Contract Season?

conner01

Reaction score
Same answering response as previously posted.

Apparently they were not gonna wait for Brown to receive an offer from another team, in FA and they could have
extended Lewis instead of waiting for his last year contract to expire in 2020.
And do you really think the way they have added two more CBs early to mid round if they had future plans for Lewis here long term?
And they just awarded him 15 million so AB is not going anyway soon

i know Lewis mania fans like/want an against all odds underdog, and dying for a guy that has any takeaway skills on a defense that is just crying for such ability. But Lewis while scrappy, also has limitations that
doesn't give him a better chance to advance to a bigger role on the defense.
i think the bigger a role, the more he will get exposed.
I’d be surprised if we keep Lewis
You’ve got awuzie and Lewis both becoming FA after this season
It would not surprise me if neither gets signed
But for that to happen the picks in this past draft have to both be starter quality picks
I like the picks but I’ve liked many picks that didn’t work out
Ideally to me you keep elite guys and churn good guys through the draft as much as you can
You only keep them if you have to
The fact that good players make huge money makes that really necessary today
So ideally we don’t have to sign Lewis or awuzie to second deals
But at the same time I think if given the reps Lewis can play, can be a playmaker and will have a future in this league
I’m not saying he’s a super star but he’s a guy who fights and makes plays when given opportunities

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And yet the Cowboys under a new coaching regime, committed to re-signing Anthony Brown, rather
than Jourdan Lewis.
How does that speak volume (and value) for Lewis even with Richard gone ?

Prediction: Either he is gonna be eventually traded, or he is gonna walk in FA next year.
They didn't have to re-sign Lewis because his contract wasn't expiring. Brown's was.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
And yet the Cowboys under a new coaching regime, committed to re-signing Anthony Brown, rather
than Jourdan Lewis.

Prediction: Either he is gonna be eventually traded, or he is gonna walk in FA next year.

Why would you extend Lewis this off season? He's under contract. You make the decision next off season.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
than Jourdan Lewis.

Resigning Brown was a great move. Much needed depth and he is a pretty decent Slot Corner. This means nothing of what they think about Lewis. It means they think they now have 2 capable players for the slot, as well as CB depth. All about depth. They weren't just handing the position to Lewis or any other player.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
At this juncture, it's anyone's guess if Lewis will be given the opportunity to prove himself. There have been enough acquisitions at the CB slot to put his chances in doubt. I suspect he'll be relegated to lingering in the background, as usual. He's the lone CB we've had with legit ball skills, though. The new guys in town might well make that a thing of the past.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
That’s where Jourdan Lewis comes into play. Once one of the more sought after corners coming out of college, Lewis has shown flashes of how big-time he can be. Unfortunately the previous regime, in particular former Defensive Backs Coach Kris Richard, didn’t allow him to maximize abilities because he liked tall and lengthy corners, and 5’10 Lewis got lost in the shuffle. That was of course until he caught a break last November.

He was drafted in the third round, so I'm not sure that qualifies as "one of the more sought after."

gimmesix

Reaction score
Fourth, but ok.

There's too much selective bias with Lewis. Fans, for whatever reason, only see the good plays he makes, but choose to ignore things like him getting roasted by Cole Beasley.

The good thing about him is he goes after the ball. The bad thing about him is he goes after the ball.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Lewis has a big fan club but Brown has been the better player.

I had hopes for Lewis but he was terrible in 2019. He played 55% of the defensive snaps in 2019 which was over 3x the number of snaps he played in 2018.

There should be a picture of Lewis in the dictionary next to the definition of "Fan Narrative".

Fans get narratives into their mind and other fans jump onboard the narrative train.

It was comical how the Lewis fan club posted over and over about how he "shut down" Kamara in 2018 until I posted that he played a total of 8 snaps on defense in that game...

Well if there is an impact play percentage of snaps played, I bet he leads the team

cowboyec

Reaction score
i hope so.
he reminds me of Landry's DBs from the early 80's...scrappy,tough and has shown a knack for makin a play on the ball.
i think Awuzie and Lewis will play better this year.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The good thing about him is he goes after the ball. The bad thing about him is he goes after the ball.
Lol, I guess that's kind of fair. On the longer pass to Beasley when the Bills were backed up, he definitely tried to undercut the route to make an INT.

quickccc

Reaction score
They didn't have to re-sign Lewis because his contract wasn't expiring. Brown's was.

re-signing Brown and drafting two CBs within first four rounds, this off season, that's 3 CBs that we've just invested in long term, so what's the likelihood of re-signing Lewis long term next off season ?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
re-signing Brown and drafting two CBs within first four rounds, this off season, that's 3 CBs that we've just invested in long term, so what's the likelihood of re-signing Lewis long term next off season ?

That's factoring in a lot more than just what the OP indicated, so to answer this will take more of a response. And my response is, it depends on how things go this season, but absolutely Lewis could be on the bubble if he doesn't have a strong season. But I will also say that along with the additions, there also a subtraction in the offseason too (Jones), plus Awuzie's contract will be expiring when Lewis' contract does as well, plus there is an out in Brown's contract after this season, plus, the 4th round CB is not a lock to remain long term if he doesn't perform well … in short, there is opportunity for Lewis to stick if he plays well. All of it just has to play out.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Lol, I guess that's kind of fair. On the longer pass to Beasley when the Bills were backed up, he definitely tried to undercut the route to make an INT.

It's why I can see him getting a good shot with Nolan. Nolan wants his corners to be aggressive. That will lead to them giving up some plays, but also should result in more turnovers. We'll see if the trade-off is worth it. With Lewis, sometimes it has been and sometimes it hasn't.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
It's why I can see him getting a good shot with Nolan. Nolan wants his corners to be aggressive. That will lead to them giving up some plays, but also should result in more turnovers. We'll see if the trade-off is worth it. With Lewis, sometimes it has been and sometimes it hasn't.
Yea, agree with all of that.

I think fans are in for a bit of a rude awakening to see what happens to the pass defense should they sell out more for turnovers.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Him and Awuzie are in the same boat.

If they play well this year, we wont be able to pay them what another team will.

If they continue on the same path, we wont want to resign them.

Neither will be back as they dont fit the press profile.