CFZ Will Cowboys have a run/pass ratio of 60% or higher in favor of the pass?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Earlier this offseason, McCarthy spoke to the media after deciding that former Moore would not return following the 2022 season. MM commented on intent to run the ball more this season.

During his tenure with the Packers, he never once cracked the top ten in the league regarding rushing attempts. Since joining the Cowboys, McCarthy’s offenses have had run-pass ratios in favor of the pass at 59% in 2020, 57% in 2021, and 51% in 2022.

The most balanced the Cowboys offense has been under McCarthy was last season, and you can make the case injuries forced them into that outcome. Cooper Rush started five games in place of Dak Prescott, and Tyron Smith, who, when healthy, is one the game’s best pass protectors, missed 13 games. The passing attempt figures should increase if the Cowboys stay healthy.

Without Elliott, the Cowboys won’t feel the impetus to justify a large contract at running back and go out of their way to satisfy touches for Tony Pollard and Elliott. The team has previously mentioned their concerns about Pollard having too heavy of a workload in terms of carries. While the team likes Malik Davis and draftee Deuce Vaughn, it’s doubtful they will embrace a heavy emphasis on making them part of a committee to spell Pollard.

Additionally, Michael Gallup should be sharper in his second season after tearing his ACL late in the 2021 season, and the Cowboys added Brandin Cooks to their receiving corps.

Finally, the team has yet to add a proven short-yardage runner on the roster. Short-yardage conversions could translate to a passing opportunity for the tight ends. The team drafted another tight end in the second round, after all.

All signs point to 2023 weighing heavily on the shoulders (and arm) of Dak Prescott.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Finally, the team has yet to add a proven short-yardage runner on the roster. Short-yardage conversions could translate to a passing opportunity for the tight ends. The team drafted another tight end in the second round, after all.
Yea they drafted him because in addition to being a good receiving TE he was the best BLOCKING TE in the draft. Blocking needed for running the football, after all.

I don't know what the run/pass ratio will be. Who knows what this new Texas Toast offense will look like. I'm more concerned with winning.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yea they drafted him because in addition to being a good receiving TE he was the best BLOCKING TE in the draft. Blocking needed for running the football, after all.

I don't know what the run/pass ratio will be. Who knows what this new Texas Toast offense will look like. I'm more concerned with winning.
I think they coined it the “Texas Coast “offense not Toast.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Earlier this offseason, McCarthy spoke to the media after deciding that former Moore would not return following the 2022 season. MM commented on intent to run the ball more this season.

During his tenure with the Packers, he never once cracked the top ten in the league regarding rushing attempts. Since joining the Cowboys, McCarthy’s offenses have had run-pass ratios in favor of the pass at 59% in 2020, 57% in 2021, and 51% in 2022.

The most balanced the Cowboys offense has been under McCarthy was last season, and you can make the case injuries forced them into that outcome. Cooper Rush started five games in place of Dak Prescott, and Tyron Smith, who, when healthy, is one the game’s best pass protectors, missed 13 games. The passing attempt figures should increase if the Cowboys stay healthy.

Without Elliott, the Cowboys won’t feel the impetus to justify a large contract at running back and go out of their way to satisfy touches for Tony Pollard and Elliott. The team has previously mentioned their concerns about Pollard having too heavy of a workload in terms of carries. While the team likes Malik Davis and draftee Deuce Vaughn, it’s doubtful they will embrace a heavy emphasis on making them part of a committee to spell Pollard.

Additionally, Michael Gallup should be sharper in his second season after tearing his ACL late in the 2021 season, and the Cowboys added Brandin Cooks to their receiving corps.

All signs point to 2023 weighing heavily on the shoulders (and arm) of Dak Prescott.
I think its not about keeping a ratio. but more about when to run the ball. Moore's issue was at times he needed to run the ball and he just didn't. at times he needed to pass and he ran. he tended to outsmart himself. his game management and some of his play designs left a lot to be desired. also his running scheme was not very good, predictable and some of his formations gave away that it was a run and run to which side.

when you have leads, you lean into the run, as some coaches say you shorten the game. limit opportunities for the other team. Moore also tended to want to go for the big play too often. again, he out smarted himself.

Jarntt

Reaction score
His QBs in GB were Favre and Rodgers and they didn't have as good of a run blocking OL for many of those years as we will for at least the time when Steele and Tyron are both on the field. It's a different team and I don't think you can look at it that way. I wouldn't be surprised if we run more than MM ran in GB. Also, he has Schottenheimer who likes to run the ball more than your average OC does.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score

Freudian Slip?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think its not about keeping a ratio. but more about when to run the ball. Moore's issue was at times he needed to run the ball and he just didn't. at times he needed to pass and he ran. he tended to outsmart himself. his game management and some of his play designs left a lot to be desired. also his running scheme was not very good, predictable and some of his formations gave away that it was a run and run to which side.

when you have leads, you lean into the run, as some coaches say you shorten the game. limit opportunities for the other team. Moore also tended to want to go for the big play too often. again, he out smarted himself.
It was often difficult for me to decipher whether it was poor play calling or execution .

I’m looking forward to see how Moore does in LA in comparison to how McCarthy does here.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I think it has more to do with having a run first ideology than actually running the ball more. I think this means running more in certain situations and also playing more run-friendly personnel with 2 & 3 TE sets. That doesn't mean that they will always be running out of those sets, but it's more formations where the Cowboys should have more balanced run:pass tendencies so teams cant anticipate the play calls as easily. Heavier formations will also force teams to play more base defense, which many teams are not really equipped to do. I think MM is counting heavily on teams not being able to cover these TEs with linebackers and them being able run easily if they keep an extra DB on the field.

I'm expecting MM to turn back the clock and we see more of a really athletic late 90s/early 2000s style of play out of this offense.

Flamma

Reaction score

I think they'll have a run/pass ratio that works. A coach's job is getting a feel for that during the game, right?

What I don't like, is when a team is having success running the ball and they switch to pass because they think the defense will eventually stop them. They haven't done it yet, but they think they will, so they start passing. I may be thinking of the wrong coach, but I'm pretty sure this was what Andy Reid was criticized for when he was with the Eagles.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Every offense that runs more than they throw is terrible, except for Philly - but that number is largely skewed by QB runs.

I suspect Dallas will be up around 60% pass. They should be, anyway.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
No chance. The run/pass ratio will likely be similar to last season, however, the play calling will induce more runs In situations where the Cowboys would have thrown or used some bush league gadget play under Moore. The pass will also be used more as an extension of the running game.

conner01

Reaction score
No chance. The run/pass ratio will likely be similar to last season, however, the play calling will induce more runs In situations where the Cowboys would have thrown or used some bush league gadget play under Moore. The pass will also be used more as an extension of the running game.
I agree
We was basically balanced last year and I don’t expect the mix to change much

Hardline

Reaction score
The yardage gained on first down will determine the run-pass ratio. Can't do much rushing on 3rd and 8.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score

While this is true, the West Coast offense has lots of short dump-off passes treated similarly to a run, if I'm not mistaken. I remember during his initial presser, Mike refused to give the number of carries Zeke could expect. Instead, he would say "Zeke will get his touches"

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Every offense that runs more than they throw is terrible, except for Philly - but that number is largely skewed by QB runs.

I suspect Dallas will be up around 60% pass. They should be, anyway.
Why I thought this story was interesting is McCarthy said he wanted to run the ball more but that doesn’t appear to be the case.