News: Will Cowboys strike in free agency after the draft? - Todd Archer, ESPN

CCBoy

Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cow...os-return-to-nfl-be-on-personnel-side-one-day

Will Cowboys strike in free agency after the draft? - Todd Archer, ESPN

In is weekly mailbag, Archer answers a reader question about whether the Cowboys are still looking at free agency or concentrating solely on the draft.

Their focus is on the draft. They don’t have any cap room at the moment to do anything, although that is somewhat misleading because the Cowboys can restructure Jason Witten's contract and turn in Doug Free’s retirement papers and gain nearly $9 million in cap room.

But there’s another reason why they won’t sign a free agent. Once May rolls around, signing unrestricted free agents does not play a part of the compensatory-pick formula. As it stands right now, the Cowboys are looking at three or four compensatory picks next year for their losses of Ronald Leary, Barry Church, Terrell McClain and Brandon Carr. Now, most of the players currently available should not get big-time deals to affect the formula anyway. By waiting until May, after the draft, the price tag drops more.

After the draft, the Cowboys will be able to survey their roster, see their remaining needs and then strike. That’s where the Cowboys currently sit...

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cow...os-return-to-nfl-be-on-personnel-side-one-day

Will Cowboys strike in free agency after the draft? - Todd Archer, ESPN

In is weekly mailbag, Archer answers a reader question about whether the Cowboys are still looking at free agency or concentrating solely on the draft.

Their focus is on the draft. They don’t have any cap room at the moment to do anything, although that is somewhat misleading because the Cowboys can restructure Jason Witten's contract and turn in Doug Free’s retirement papers and gain nearly $9 million in cap room.

But there’s another reason why they won’t sign a free agent. Once May rolls around, signing unrestricted free agents does not play a part of the compensatory-pick formula. As it stands right now, the Cowboys are looking at three or four compensatory picks next year for their losses of Ronald Leary, Barry Church, Terrell McClain and Brandon Carr. Now, most of the players currently available should not get big-time deals to affect the formula anyway. By waiting until May, after the draft, the price tag drops more.

After the draft, the Cowboys will be able to survey their roster, see their remaining needs and then strike. That’s where the Cowboys currently sit...
Hey, CC welcome back. I was starting to worry about tou brother.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys may sign another 2-3 free agents but they aren't going to "strike" if that means go after a big name. That has never been the case. Anyone who thought they would hasn't been paying attention.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The Cowboys may sign another 2-3 free agents but they aren't going to "strike" if that means go after a big name. That has never been the case. Anyone who thought they would hasn't been paying attention.
yeah strike is a poor choice of words?
Sure they draft first, then udfa, then if needed FA and later players cut from other teams.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
@toddarcher: Their focus is on the draft. They don’t have any cap room at the moment to do anything, although that is somewhat misleading because the Cowboys can restructure Jason Witten's contract and turn in Doug Free’s retirement papers and gain nearly $9 million in cap room. But there’s another reason why they won’t sign a free agent. Once May rolls around, signing unrestricted free agents does not play a part of the compensatory-pick formula. As it stands right now, the Cowboys are looking at three or four compensatory picks next year for their losses of Ronald Leary, Barry Church, Terrell McClain and Brandon Carr. Now, most of the players currently available should not get big-time deals to affect the formula anyway. By waiting until May, after the draft, the price tag drops more. After the draft, the Cowboys will be able to survey their roster, see their remaining needs and then strike. That’s where the Cowboys currently sit.
I understand Archers' answer. But there is something he completely overlooked. The cap space The Cowboys get from Tony Romo's retirement. I generally like Archer, but this is was a big miss on his part.

irishline

Reaction score
I understand Archers' answer. But there is something he completely overlooked. The cap space The Cowboys get from Tony Romo's retirement. I generally like Archer, but this is was a big miss on his part.

He was designated a June 1st cut so they get no cap space from that until June 1st. The draft is April 27th through the 29th. That is over a month apart. I don't see him missing anything since they can't use any Romo savings on a free agent until more than a month after the draft he is referring to.

Just my take though, I suppose he could be talking about that mythical June 1st free agency wave of cuts that really never happens anymore.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was designated a June 1st cut so they get no cap space from that until June 1st. The draft is April 27th through the 29th. I don't see him missing anything since they can't use any Romo savings on a free agent until more than a month after the draft he is referring to.
Of course Romo was designated a June 1st cut. Everyone knows that. The question was in reference to after the draft. When thinking of free agency EVERYTHING to do with the Cowboys is about the cap space generated from Romo's retirement. The Cowboys can't do anything until they get the cap relief. For Archer to not mention this is unbelievable IMO.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
He was designated a June 1st cut so they get no cap space from that until June 1st. The draft is April 27th through the 29th. That is over a month apart. I don't see him missing anything since they can't use any Romo savings on a free agent until more than a month after the draft he is referring to.

Just my take though, I suppose he could be talking about that mythical June 1st free agency wave of cuts that really never happens anymore.

They only get 5 mil in cap space anyway don't they?

aria

Reaction score
Define "never". Up until only a couple years ago that was their/Jerry's MO.

Pants

Reaction score
* Jason Garrett using the term "process" makes me a lil sick
* SJones/McClay using the term "process" makes me a believer...it seems for the last few years, the "process" has made the team better

SJones/McClay Process
Pre-Draft
1) Let guys go in FA that you can replace and/or that are not worth keeping based on their salary & production
2) Sign guys in FA to replace said departures from step 1
- Note: the FA signings, although nothing major on the football landscape, allows Dallas to follow their board and pick BPA

Draft
3) Pick BPA, don't worry about position with a few exceptions (ex: they won't take a QB/OC in round 1)
- Note: Make moves during the draft to go up or down depending on your board; if the move up is cost-effective and doesn't just "give away" resources for a shiny bauble, then yippe

Post-Draft
4) Immediately go and grab up all of the UDFA guys that still have value based on your board

Post-May 31st
5) Assess what is out there in FA now that you get the extra cash from Tony; also, will Doug Free's retirement papers get put in or is he staying? if he is leaving, there is more cap room

Pre-September
6) Look to see if there are any reasons to go after anyone that has been cut (is there a need based on injury for Dallas? Would a "cut" from another team just be too enticing to NOT add?)

I believe in the new process, just not JG's hand-clapping version

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
After June 1st, it's $14 million of cap space that the Cowboys will save.

Thanks. I always thought it was 5 mil no matter what. That might be enough to sign Martin long term. Thinking he's going to be around 14 mil a year.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
I think Revis is the next Charles or Rod Woodson type {supposed washed up Veteran turning All-Pro/Super Bowl seasons in for Greenbay and Baltimore) staring at the Dallas squad as a fit for a much needed change of scenery and a team in dire need of experienced help.

...just waiting to become the next 30 something year old to excel as a leader and rejuvenate the Cowboys secondary for years to come.

Last edited: