Will Dak be better, worse, or stay the same this coming year?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Dak shined earlier this year after being babied/limited during camp, but he will be getting a full camp this incoming year. I think he will take the next step to becoming a better QB. If you don't agree tell us why.

How do you think he will do? Whatever you think, say why please.

Did you guys watch Dak before we traded for Coop?

Spoiler alert................it was not good.

morasp

Reaction score
He's been our QB for 6 seasons. Here are the weaknesses from his original draft profile. It could have been written last year. No, he's not improving.

Weaknesses
  • Beat up this year thanks to poor protection
  • When he wasn't being sacked, he was being hit hard
  • Not as competitive a rusher in 2015
  • Sacks and usage in run game might be taking a toll
  • Increase in short pass attempts from 86 to 208 this year reason for higher completion numbers
  • Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws dropped sharply
  • Pocket poise has been compromised
  • Hyper aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw
  • Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions
  • Must speed up the pace of his reads
  • Footwork is a mess
  • Slight stride onto stiff upper leg with little weight shift
  • Restricted follow through and too often tries to muscle throws with upper body
  • Throws to target rather than leading or throwing them open on short/intermediate throws
  • Too respectful of underneath coverage and must be more willing to challenge the defense
  • Needs to improve anticipation

TheCritic

Reaction score
If I had to predict, I think Dak has peeked. I don't see him ever being a special QB. Not to say that he'll never win a SB, but he does need to be on a team with a great running game and a great defense for that to happen.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Worse

Lesser receivers
Lesser linemen
Injuries starting to pile up
Still have stupid owners and Gm making football decisions

starfan1

Reaction score
Dak like his predecessor is flawed . When things are good around him he’ll excel When things break down such as they did last year he’ll be exposed

fix the line continue to improve defense and then you’ll be fine. Get the over rated running back healthy and take some pressure of Dak to have to carry things. Heck give pollard more involvement . I also don’t believe the Boise State experiment at OC has helped this team.

if you’re expecting our qb to he Arod or Patrick you’re just setting yourself up for frustration. Lower the expectation lower the letdown.

Booger don’t give 2 shats bout you only his bottom line

ondaedg

Reaction score
If I had to predict, I think Dak has peeked. I don't see him ever being a special QB. Not to say that he'll never win a SB, but he does need to be on a team with a great running game and a great defense for that to happen.

You mean like the Rams?

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Yeah I don't feel Dak is going to regress to the point that he'll be benched for Rush. I mean I guess it's possible but highly unlikely. I also don't feel he will be Mahomes or Rodgers. Dak is an adequate to above adequate bus driver. If given the right bus he, and the rest of the team, can win a super bowl. If the bus breaks down Dak can't put the team on his shoulders and create wins. It's not completely hopeless with Dak, unless Dak can't read defenses then we're really screwed. But if the Jones can provide a quality team around him then I feel we could do something. The part that scares me is Dak played pretty poorly the last 9 games of the season. Some of those wins the defense pulled it out for us and saved the offense. So I'm rooting for Dak because if he fails then the Cowboys fail but I'm not believing in Dak right now cuz of the last 9 games of the season.

I will say that Dak is not the reason we lost in the playoffs. That was a complete team fail starting from Jerry Jones, through the coaches and in the players. Everyone was bad in that game besides maybe Anger. Dak played poorly too but he had no help from his coaches, line, receivers, RBs and defense. So IMO the playoff embarrassment was a total team effort. I don't put that one on Dak
The problem with this analogy is that Dak was not paid as a bus driver but he was paid as a top 3 QB. Now that he is paid the asinine amount, the team has to jetison off other quality players to stay under the cap which means the team is now worse. Dak will regress even more while earning more and more. Jerry listened to the woke fans and overpaid Dak and the team will suffer for it for the next 5 or 6 years at least.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is this a trick question?

Dak Prescott is inconsistent and streaky and the question is why. Is it the coaching? OL? Or the competition?

He is not a Tier 1 QB but that's not his fault or lack of effort or work ethic.

I could better answer the question if I knew if he was going to return to being a dual threat QB and using his legs to keep the defense on edge a little more. Does he not do that because of the ankle and then the calf or because of how much he's being paid? Seems to me 10M of that 40M should be going to his feet.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
I think the aura of the 'underdog who had it so rough and had to overcome so much and is such a great leader' has finally evaporated in the locker room and it will become evident this season.

He will have the most pressure on him this season than he has in any previous seasons. He will have a lesser supporting cast and he has been limited by injury the last three seasons. The arrow is pointing down.

2021 will be looked back on as the good old days.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak shined earlier this year after being babied/limited during camp, but he will be getting a full camp this incoming year. I think he will take the next step to becoming a better QB. If you don't agree tell us why.

Babied? Are you a trainer, doctor, coach?

Acceptablename

Reaction score

Dak is a proud leader and his ego is hurt. We have seen his work ethic so his efforts this off season I dont question. Now does he have high level skills. As you said we saw the first part of the 21 season he was zoned in then something happened. What/ I think particularly the Oline. Dak isnt quick enough to avoid and see the field he needs more time. Will the FO get him the protection he needs? I think their trying but also working the cap two opposing problems. The potential is there. Dak is not junk and the coming see-son will prove me one way or the other.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
He's been our QB for 6 seasons. Here are the weaknesses from his original draft profile. It could have been written last year. No, he's not improving.

Weaknesses
  • Beat up this year thanks to poor protection
  • When he wasn't being sacked, he was being hit hard
  • Not as competitive a rusher in 2015
  • Sacks and usage in run game might be taking a toll
  • Increase in short pass attempts from 86 to 208 this year reason for higher completion numbers
  • Accuracy on intermediate and deep throws dropped sharply
  • Pocket poise has been compromised
  • Hyper aware of pressure around him and lacks awareness to slide and find temporary shelter to make throw
  • Concern over pressure too often trumps ability to get through progressions
  • Must speed up the pace of his reads
  • Footwork is a mess
  • Slight stride onto stiff upper leg with little weight shift
  • Restricted follow through and too often tries to muscle throws with upper body
  • Throws to target rather than leading or throwing them open on short/intermediate throws
  • Too respectful of underneath coverage and must be more willing to challenge the defense
  • Needs to improve anticipation

That's scary and in someway's an impressive report.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Dak is a proud leader and his ego is hurt. We have seen his work ethic so his efforts this off season I dont question. Now does he have high level skills. As you said we saw the first part of the 21 season he was zoned in then something happened. What/ I think particularly the Oline. Dak isnt quick enough to avoid and see the field he needs more time. Will the FO get him the protection he needs? I think their trying but also working the cap two opposing problems. The potential is there. Dak is not junk and the coming see-son will prove me one way or the other.

I'd add whether he can overcome the added pressure. This is pressure he (and his agent) have put on his shoulders due to the way the contract was handled. With the money comes the pressure, responsibility and this will be the last years he's got somewhere to hide.....there's nowhere to hide when your CAP is: $49m and $52m