Video: Will Damone Clark make the 2nd year leap?

Mr_437

Reaction score

This guy put together a few reps of Clark to show how he got off blocks, flowed to the ball and dropped in coverage.

I think this is a leap year for Clark. @big dog cowboy recently posted about Clark too. The LBs are considered the weakness of the Defense, but if Clark becomes "him" we could be looking at the #1 Defense. What say y'all, is Damone Clark going to have a big year?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think this is a leap year for Clark. @big dog cowboy recently posted about Clark too. The LBs are considered the weakness of the Defense, but if Clark becomes "him" we could be looking at the #1 Defense. What say y'all, is Damone Clark going to have a big year?
giphy.gif

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

This guy put together a few reps of Clark to show how he got off blocks, flowed to the ball and dropped in coverage.

I can't stand that video creator and his film "breakdown". He gets it wrong half of the time, and he makes a lot of excuses when his pet cat actually doesn't make a play. What's funny is how several plays Damone guessed wrong and would have been blown up if his opposing blockers didn't fall down before reaching him at the 2nd level. Don't get me wrong, Clark has lots of potential, made some good plays last year and hopefully keeps improving into a very good LB, but this past rookie season, Damone Clark looked average at times. To support my thesis, it was the recently injury-recovered Jabril Cox who was making plays in the recent mini-camp, not Damone Clark.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Great to see Clark get action this year when it was never really expected, but imo he was very hesitant and slow to react. Hopefully this year we will see a much improved version.
I agree, and I think it had alot to do with missing the entire offseason and jumping in immediately after he was cleared to play. Lack of reps leads to uncertainty, which leads to slower diagnosis of plays, which makes anyone look slow. Excited to see what a year of reps, weights, and film room does for the kid.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I can't stand that video creator and his film "breakdown". He gets it wrong half of the time, and he makes a lot of excuses when his pet cat actually doesn't make a play. What's funny is how several plays Damone guessed wrong and would have been blown up if his opposing blockers didn't fall down before reaching him at the 2nd level. Don't get me wrong, Clark has lots of potential, made some good plays last year and hopefully keeps improving into a very good LB, but this past rookie season, Damone Clark looked average at times. To support my thesis, it was the recently injury-recovered Jabril Cox who was making plays in the recent mini-camp, not Damone Clark.
That's because they aren't tackling.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Clark's forte is being a coverage linebacker, and he was noted for making a couple of plays in coverage. That's a good thing because we need him to step up in that area and be a nickel backer. Clark's strength is getting to the ball and making plays. Considering that OTAs and minicamp were glorified walk-throughs, he's not going to really going to stand out in those drills. Notice that we really didn't hear anything about the DL and LBs other than the coverage note.

I do agree, though, that there were times that Clark's head was swimming last year, and that should be expected of a rookie. Hopefully, the game slows down for him and we see him really shine rather than make plays only on occasion.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Great to see Clark get action this year when it was never really expected, but imo he was very hesitant and slow to react. Hopefully this year we will see a much improved version.
Fair assessment, I agree with.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Clark's forte is being a coverage linebacker, and he was noted for making a couple of plays in coverage. That's a good thing because we need him to step up in that area and be a nickel backer. Clark's strength is getting to the ball and making plays. Considering that OTAs and minicamp were glorified walk-throughs, he's not going to really going to stand out in those drills. Notice that we really didn't hear anything about the DL and LBs other than the coverage note.

I do agree, though, that there were times that Clark's head was swimming last year, and that should be expected of a rookie. Hopefully, the game slows down for him and we see him really shine rather than make plays only on occasion.
All things considered, do you guys think Clark can the jump to being a better than average starter this season?

I was high on him pre-draft and I see some flashes, but the consistency wasn't there. Having a full offseason I think we'll see the player he was projected to be pre injury diagnosis.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
For this defense to take that next jump, they will need for Clark to step it up as well. Actually this LB as a group needs to be more aggressive in defending the LOS, especially LVE... he can't stay five yards deep and then give ground when trying to tackle a runner. Needs to attack the LOS more. Cox needs to show his stuff. No injuries and No more excuses. And hoping Overshown picks this up quick and can be in the rotation. Yes, the LB crew is the weakness of this defense at this point.

Giddyupppp....

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
All things considered, do you guys think Clark can the jump to being a better than average starter this season?

I was high on him pre-draft and I see some flashes, but the consistency wasn't there. Having a full offseason I think we'll see the player he was projected to be pre injury diagnosis.
Good question. It's hard to say. New LBs coach is Scott McCurley what has been with the Cowboys since 2020. McCarthy brought him with him out of retirement since both were unemployed all of 2019. McCurley had spent the previous 13 seasons coaching with McCarthy in Green Bay, and McCurley was the Assistant LBs coach from 2014 - 2017 before he was moved to another position in 2018 before being fired along with McCarthy by the end of that 2018 season. The LB crew went from having 1 elite LB (Clay Matthews) and 2 other very good LBs in 2014......to just 2 good LBs and the rest not-so-good LBs by the end of 2017. When the Packers beat the Cowboys (with help from the officials) during the division round (34 - 31) of the 2016 season playoffs, they advanced to the NFC Championship Game to play the Atlanta Falcons, only to start off the game being down 31 - 0 and ultimately losing 44 - 21. Not good, especially since their Packers D gave up just over 100 yards rushing but 392 yards passing and 4 TDs. The 2017 season was worse for both McCarthy and McCurley, hence they were both unemployed in 2019 before they both came to Dallas and have been here ever since.

To be fair, both have done well in Dallas. The LBs position (along with team record consistency) has improved in talent and results among starters the past 3 seasons, but there is much youth and inexperience as backups. Hard to say for sure but the arrow is pointing up with the recent year or two of coaching our young talent at LB is receiving. Damone Clark received valuable playing time throughout his rookie season last year. Jabril Cox even though injured most of the season received a lot of valuable off-the-field coaching while he healed. He should know the playbook and defensive scheme much better while will enable both Clark and Cox to play faster without having to think too much. Throw in our young rookie stud in DeMarvion Overshown and his abilities, I say our young LBs are going to rise up and surprise everyone.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
I think Clark is a real boom or bust type of prospect. He is big, fast and strong. I just don’t know if he has the linebacker instincts. Clark busted lots of plays last season. The reality is Quinn trusted him enough to be the 3rd linebacker after recovering from spinal fusion surgery. Supposedly he plays his best when he is on the field with LVE.

blueblood70

Reaction score

he hasnt even played full year yet.. redshirt year last year basically.. this will be his first full camp and full year so high hopes for him.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I like how he attacks the gap once he makes a decision. He's got good short area quickness to finish tackles. Lots to like. Coverage in zone is the big question.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

We haven't had too many linebackers who excelled their first season because there is just so much to learn. Sean Lee, who I consider one of the more cerebral linebackers we've had, didn't start any game his first year (playing in 14) and only flashed the ability that he had. Next year, he started 15 of 15 games and finished with 104 tackles (compared to 31 as a rookie). Might be a good comparison since Lee also was coming off injury his rookie year. Clark had 42 tackles in 10 games.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

When you think about what he overcame, the timeline, and how he played it was extraordinary. Arrow has to be up.

JayFord

Reaction score
Yes

we saw a solid linebacker in #33 last year.....and by solid i dont mean good i dont mean great but solid which is on par from a rookie

he should make the leap and be a good linebacker this season im actually thinking by year 3 he'll be the best linebacker on the team

and by best LB im saying Parsons is a Edge player his role is everywhere