Will Jerry Jones ever let us have a real NFL coach?

Air Force One

Reaction score
Just sitting here, depressed, trying to think of what our problem really is. I can't help but return to the fact that Jerry Jones keeps installing yes men to the job and I don't see an end in sight to this. I worry that even JG is being groomed to be Jerry's next "yes" man rather than the next head coach.

Don't get me wrong, I think Jerry is a great owner. The kind of owner that most teams would kill to have, but he builds teams that look great on paper but doesn't seem to get that they need good, strong coaching to get anywhere.

So that my bias is on the table I'll say I wanted Bob Stoops named head coach and be given a free hand. I know that most here wouldn't agree with this and it's just my personal opinion.

anyway, we have a good team on paper ...we have a great owner ..all we need is a coach and some healthy returning players, imo.

crazytown41

Reaction score
2 words and 1 number: Bill Cowher 2009

The writings are already on the wall

Boysboy

Reaction score
Air Force One;2338701 said:
Just sitting here, depressed, trying to think of what our problem really is. I can't help but return to the fact that Jerry Jones keeps installing yes men to the job and I don't see an end in sight to this. I worry that even JG is being groomed to be Jerry's next "yes" man rather than the next head coach.

Don't get me wrong, I think Jerry is a great owner. The kind of owner that most teams would kill to have, but he builds teams that look great on paper but doesn't seem to get that they need good, strong coaching to get anywhere.

So that my bias is on the table I'll say I wanted Bob Stoops named head coach and be given a free hand. I know that most here wouldn't agree with this and it's just my personal opinion.

anyway, we have a good team on paper ...we have a great owner ..all we need is a coach and some healthy returning players, imo.

Or we're going through the post-Parcells curse phase now.

Ask Giants and Pats fans about this-subsequently, after he bolted them unexpectedly, they're only emergency options were player-friendly yes ma'am coaches. They got off to GREAT starts, but slowly imploded at the end.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
crazytown41;2338712 said:

Unless we win the Super Bowl, you're probably right.

I think Garrett probably stays on as the OC. If we did go with Cowher, it would be nice to get a guy like Capers to run the D.

And at the OP: We did have a real NFL coach for 4 years. Bill Parcells. No he didn't deliver in the playoffs, but if he's not a real NFL coach IDK.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
The trend is obvious. Jerry replaced a disciplinarian with a "players coach" just like replacing Jimmy with Switzer. Therefore, I have deduced that Chan Gailey will be our next head coach, followed by Dave Campo.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
If we wind up with Bill Cowher in 2009 I'll be THRILLED. I know some won't, and that's fine, but I'll be thrilled having The Chin on the sideline.

Air Force One

Reaction score
Billy Bullocks;2338741 said:
And at the OP: We did have a real NFL coach for 4 years. Bill Parcells. No he didn't deliver in the playoffs, but if he's not a real NFL coach IDK.
by real NFL coach I mean someone who is given a free hand, as is typical of most NFL coaches.

and FWIW, I don't consider BP anything but the Giants ex coach. I didn't like him then, I didn't like him when he was here, and I don't like him now. He was never going to be invested in the Cowboys. I'd prefer someone fresh who bleeds Cowboy blue.

I'd settle for Cowher as long as he has complete control, otherwise we're heading down the same path, IMO.

nflandbooze

Reaction score
crazytown41;2338712 said:

I wish. Hand him a blank check and get out of the way. Too bad that Garrett guy has probably already been promised the job.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Parcells was a reach head coach. Other teams were interested in hiring Garrett to be their head coaches, so that says a lot about his abilities. More teams were interested in hiring Garrett than they were hiring Sparano. Seems like a potential real coach to me.

Air Force One

Reaction score
joseephuss;2338802 said:
Parcells was a reach head coach. Other teams were interested in hiring Garrett to be their head coaches, so that says a lot about his abilities. More teams were interested in hiring Garrett than they were hiring Sparano. Seems like a potential real coach to me.
yeah well I like Garrett but I hope the biggest franchise in American sports can do better than a "potential real coach."

crazytown41

Reaction score
I don't know about Garrett.

A hard nose runner like MBIII and Cowher makes too much sense.

You know he's licking his chops at CBS

zeromaster

Reaction score
OP: Yeah I guess Johnson and Parcells don't count.

Cowher took a long time to win a trophy, and it took some help. Be careful what you wish for.

Air Force One

Reaction score
zeromaster;2338855 said:
OP: Yeah I guess Johnson and Parcells don't count.
No kidding that Johnson was a good coach. :rolleyes:

Last time I checked he is no longer coaching the cowboys. If he was I wouldn't have posted this thread. I'm talking about the future not the past.

I already posted my feelings on BP.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Air Force One;2338826 said:
yeah well I like Garrett but I hope the biggest franchise in American sports can do better than a "potential real coach."

Did you feel that way when Jerry brought in Jimmy Johnson? At that time Jimmy was only a "potential reach coach".

Air Force One

Reaction score
joseephuss;2339030 said:
Did you feel that way when Jerry brought in Jimmy Johnson? At that time Jimmy was only a "potential reach coach".
dude he picked one good coach in 20 years

at that time anything was better than where the Cowboys had been and I was thrilled with Jimmy. Haven't been thrilled since however.

like i said, i'm worried about the future. the past is done and Johnson gone. been gone for almost 15 years. if you want to sit on memories of that then go ahead but JJ picking Jimmy as head coach 20 years ago isn't going to win us any games this year or next.

we just acquired RW. Again, great on paper, but who's going to coach him?

Meat-O-Rama

Vegetarians are so stupid.
Reaction score
Air Force One;2338771 said:
by real NFL coach I mean someone who is given a free hand, as is typical of most NFL coaches.

and FWIW, I don't consider BP anything but the Giants ex coach. I didn't like him then, I didn't like him when he was here, and I don't like him now. He was never going to be invested in the Cowboys. I'd prefer someone fresh who bleeds Cowboy blue.

I'd settle for Cowher as long as he has complete control, otherwise we're heading down the same path, IMO.

Just because you didn't like him doesn't erase the fact that he was coach here and was nowhere near being a yes man.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Air Force One;2338701 said:

Brutha!
You must be my long-lost brother who was presumably taken away from our happy home under the bridge.

And would you join the September 28 GROW/GROS Peasants Movement?
You git a free hat and I.D. papers in case you are stopped by the Wade is Wonderful Club.

(And Jason won't be a yes man.)

vta

The Proletariat
Reaction score
You actually seem to be questioning whether or not Jerry will keep his nose out of certain decisions.

No matter who he brings here, be it Cowher, or whoever, Jerry will never stop being involved in almost aspects of football operations.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Air Force One;2339105 said:
dude he picked one good coach in 20 years

at that time anything was better than where the Cowboys had been and I was thrilled with Jimmy. Haven't been thrilled since however.

like i said, i'm worried about the future. the past is done and Johnson gone. been gone for almost 15 years. if you want to sit on memories of that then go ahead but JJ picking Jimmy as head coach 20 years ago isn't going to win us any games this year or next.

we just acquired RW. Again, great on paper, but who's going to coach him?

I am not living in the past. I am prepared to root for Garrett for the future. He does not come across as a yes man and looks like he can be a good head coach when the time comes. I have more faith in him than I did with Switzer, Gailey or Campo.

Plus how many "real proven football coaches" are out there? There really are not that many. And if you do find one that doesn't mean they want to coach in Dallas.

Air Force One

Reaction score
c0wb0y_m0nkey;2339107 said:
Just because you didn't like him doesn't erase the fact that he was coach here and was nowhere near being a yes man.
Probably why he left. ;)

Gimmetheball: I hope you are right .:)