Will Jerry Jones ever let us have a real NFL coach?

Air Force One

Reaction score
vta;2339149 said:
You actually seem to be questioning whether or not Jerry will keep his nose out of certain decisions.

No matter who he brings here, be it Cowher, or whoever, Jerry will never stop being involved in almost aspects of football operations.
You are right I suppose. I guess this is the crux of the matter.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Air Force One;2338701 said:
So that my bias is on the table I'll say I wanted Bob Stoops named head coach and be given a free hand. I know that most here wouldn't agree with this and it's just my personal opinion.

Air Force One;2338826 said:
yeah well I like Garrett but I hope the biggest franchise in American sports can do better than a "potential real coach."

:huh:

Air Force One

Reaction score
joseephuss;2339163 said:
I am not living in the past. I am prepared to root for Garrett for the future. He does not come across as a yes man and looks like he can be a good head coach when the time comes. I have more faith in him than I did with Switzer, Gailey or Campo.

Plus how many "real proven football coaches" are out there? There really are not that many. And if you do find one that doesn't mean they want to coach in Dallas.
agreed regarding Campo and Co.

I'm willing to give Garrett a chance. I like the guy.

Hell dude I miss J. Johnson too. Part of the reason I like Bob stoops is because he reminds me of Jimmy sometimes. He's unproven but then so is Garrett.

Air Force One

Reaction score
jackrussell;2339234 said:
it's all a gamble. Between Garrett and Stoops, I'd put my money on Stoops. But that is just me. Like I said, I like JG and will support him.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Air Force One;2339296 said:
it's all a gamble. Between Garrett and Stoops, I'd put my money on Stoops. But that is just me. Like I said, I like JG and will support him.

I've long been a Stoops supporter.
Jerra, give him 5% interest in the club and a salary just higher than what he makes in Norman or whatever burg he's stuck in and Bob Stoops will be your coach.

joseephuss

Reaction score

If it is between Garrett and Stoops, I put my money on Garrett. Garrett has history on his side. Very few college coaches come to the NFL and have success. Historically, the good NFL coaches have built their way up through the ranks as assistant coaches and coordinators in the league. That is where they learn the nuances of the game and how it works at the NFL level. It is a different game than college.

Jimmy Johnson is one of the rare exceptions of a guy that came to the NFL with no NFL experience and did well.

Is Stoops a bit tarnished now? Is he looked at in the same light now as he was several years ago? He is losing that shine as a big game coach with each big loss. I think is a fine coach, but his reputation is not what it once was.

crazytown41

Reaction score
Bob Stoops?? Please. let's stay away from the college avenue. They have failed too many times to take that chance.

Air Force One

Reaction score
I cannot argue with the last two posts' reasoning, but I'd be willing to chance it.

I don't think Stoops is tarnished though ...I just think he needs a change of location... slightly south. ;)

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score

Just found it a bit perplexing to recommend Stoops(nothing against Stoops) in one breath and then say Dallas could do better than a 'potential head coach'.

Wouldn't Stoops fall into that category of 'potential head coach', and if so, as you say, shouldn't we do better?

Air Force One

Reaction score
jackrussell;2339435 said:
Just found it a bit perplexing to recommend Stoops(nothing against Stoops) in one breath and then say Dallas could do better than a 'potential head coach'.

Wouldn't Stoops fall into that category of 'potential head coach', and if so, as you say, shouldn't we do better?
I simply showed my bias towards Stoops. At least Stoops has been a head football coach. On the other side, Garrett has NFL experience. A case can be made for either but I'd go with Stoops and Garrett would stay as OC.

How much potential either of them has is going to be in the eye of the beholder.

Woods

Reaction score
Air Force One;2339467 said:
I simply showed my bias towards Stoops. At least Stoops has been a head football coach. On the other side, Garrett has NFL experience. A case can be made for either but I'd go with Stoops and Garrett would stay as OC.

How much potential either of them has is going to be in the eye of the beholder.

IMO, if Garrett isn't the HC in Dallas next year, he will be a HC somewhere else in the NFL. I doubt he stays on as an OC in 2009.

MONT17

Reaction score
I wonder if all of the ppl who felt the need to cry about Chicken littles understand what is going on with this team! When the GM panics then the chicken littles should be allowed to panic as well!

Air Force One

Reaction score
Woods;2339483 said:
IMO, if Garrett isn't the HC in Dallas next year, he will be a HC somewhere else in the NFL. I doubt he stays on as an OC in 2009.
good point I hadn't thought of today.

Choosing between Stoops and a leaving Garrett is tougher. Hmmm...

my heart says Stoops but my brain say don't let anyone have Garrett it will come back to haunt.

Woods

Reaction score
Air Force One;2339499 said:
good point I hadn't thought of today.

Choosing between Stoops and a leaving Garrett is tougher. Hmmm

Well, I wish we could get Cowher and keep Garrett as our OC.

But I doubt both happen.

I think Garrett will be the HC in 2009, and I think we keep the 3-4 Defense, and we go out and hire a new DC.

Air Force One

Reaction score
Woods;2339515 said:
Well, I wish we could get Cowher and keep Garrett as our OC.

But I doubt both happen.

I think Garrett will be the HC in 2009, and I think we keep the 3-4 Defense, and we go out and hire a new DC.
my only issue here is that he's a Steeler guy. will he really be invested in the Cowboys?

Mack Brown: to heck with that. Don't do anything to disrupt my Horns!! :eek::

I guess I've been convinced that Garrett is the guy. But man, if he doesn't work out it's time to try Stoops, IMO. We will have tried everything else at that point.

NickZepp

Reaction score
Stoops isn't an NFL coach. I'm not even sure he can get it done with talent at the college level. He's never proven he can and his teams only fold against good teams.

Cowher makes too much sense. He would be perfect if we don't win the SB this year.

zeromaster

Reaction score
The grass is always greener (elsewhere).

Never is that more true than with NFL coaching candidates.

Air Force One

Reaction score
zeromaster;2339599 said:
The grass is always greener (elsewhere).

Never is that more true than with NFL coaching candidates.
pretty much

Head coach is like any other position though and it would be nice to have it locked down for a decade or so. One way or another.