Will Kellen Moore fool us if he starts out strong next season?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I think people are looking at the timing of the offensive struggles the wrong way.. It's not about early in the season vs late in the season.. It's about DCs who have a bead on this offense.. Whether it be early or late it HAS happened.. In the 2020 opener the offense only put up 17. In 2019 the stumbled in games 4-6 after lighting it up in games 1-3. This year it was up in game 1.. down in game 2.. then up 4 games in a row.. then down 2 then up 1.... and so on. There is no component of the time of year.. It's the time when you face better DCs. The only real exceptions in 2021 were Tampa and New England. Those teams both have great DCs but the Cowboys lit them up anyway. That was because the players balled out, especially Dak.. I mean the play calling against Tampa was atrocious.. "Yards are yards.." My blood still boils when I think about this dude excusing his ridiculous refusal to run the ball. It reinforced what I already knew about Moore. He has no interest in being balanced.. This offense will only succeed when the players go ham.. Otherwise.. nada.. Frankly until Moore either leaves town or is no longer calling plays, I will not allow myself to get excited about this team. He doesn't get it.. and at this point I don't think he ever will.. until maybe after he gets fired a couple of times..

Reaction score
You can't blame Kellen Moore for Dak's choking.
His game plans work; Dak doesn't.

This constant whining about having more trick plays is just goofy. I do think that this team has to be run first, so they need to fix that OL and maybe fire Philbin. In the end the play-caller has to adjust to the limitations of the offensive line and the quarterback.

khiladi

Reaction score
Dak didn’t play well the first 7 games. He was mediocre against the Chargers, meaning a team that played cover 2 shell as their base.

Dak simply can’t challenge a zone. It’s not Moore’s fault.

khiladi

Reaction score
This constant whining about having more trick plays is just goofy. I do think that this team has to be run first, so they need to fix that OL and maybe fire Philbin. In the end the play-caller has to adjust to the limitations of the offensive line and the quarterback.

The whole offensive philosophy has been tailored to the limitations of the QB since he’s been here. There is only so much an OC can do, otherwise there is no difference between a guy like Josh Allen and Jalen Hurts.

khiladi

Reaction score
Defenses figure out trends of every offense by the middle and end of the season. It’s up to the QB to elevate the roster come crunch time and exploit match-ups that are available.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Fans gets fooled all the time because they live from week to week with the team and coaches. They live in the now. One week McCarthy should be coach of the year and the next week he should fired. One week Kellen Moore is a genius who should be the Cowboys next HC and the following week he’s a bonehead idiot who should be fired. We have a fickle fan base.

khiladi

Reaction score
If Moore sucked, he wouldn’t have gotten any interviews. The teams already have the tape on his offenses. Criticism are around his personality and not fitting the mold of a head coach, not that he isn’t smart and knows offense. To be honest, he looks like a nerd. Even the young coaches like Kyle Shanahan, Staley and LaFleur, as well as Daboll look like they have strong personalities.

And Moore got a second interview lined up in Miami. He’s a finalist with Mike McDaniel.

That’s the exact opposite of sucking.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
Maybe we've evolved or maybe we’ve taken excuses to a whole new level.

In decades of following the Cowboys, it seems that we only recently (last 5-6 years) started heavily blaming the OC when thing go wrong.

Ironic, considering Garrett was completely banished from play calling in 2014. It was opposing defenses like the Ravens were calling out our OC, while this fan forum was declaring him the next Tom Landry.

khiladi

Reaction score
Nope , because the same thing he did in 19' is the same thing he did in 21'. He's a frontrunning play caller. If he knocks you out in the first two quarters , it'll be a blowout and there's nothing the opposition can do. If he doesn't do that or if we get punched in the gut to start, then we'll lose.

That’s basically Sean McVay’s track record.

khiladi

Reaction score
Against Tampa Bay, Moore called 28 runs and Dak checked out of 12.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/sports...cern/287-d46e6027-b5bd-403d-a104-6ad38d95afc4

Dallas and Dak still had the infamous red zone issues. They were basically the worst team in efficiency in red zone in road games, other than Detroit, well into December. If they improved, it was only because of the meaningless Commanders and Eagles pre-season roster games.

Last edited:

Haimerej

Reaction score
Garrett was line up and beat your man.

Moore is line up and beat your man plus Cedric Wilson flinging the ball all over the place.

This criticism has always been weird to me. I get the implication behind it being, "they're not creative," but at the same time, which teams do well with their players not beating the man lined up across from them?

Cmac

Reaction score
.......not if its against the bottom feeders.