Video: Will McClay breaks down why Amari Cooper is special

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Seen Dez do that, difference was the ball either didn't go his way or it never came out

Dez was never a great rout runner nor had the speed of Cooper. No doubt Dez was physical and hard to bring down once he caught the ball. However Dez is not here and that role falls to Cooper.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Dez was never a great rout runner nor had the speed of Cooper. No doubt Dez was physical and hard to bring down once he caught the ball. However Dez is not here and that role falls to Cooper.
Sure Dez didn't have ELITE speed, but I seen him open mid to deep especially against Janoris Jenkins when people thought it was Jenkins winning the matchups. I'm excited we have Cooper, I think I'm more excited we might be fast forwarding a decision on certain players

Batman1980

Reaction score
Cooper was brought in with the expectation he would lift us to a play-off berth in an NFC that's very deep. So yes, it will accelerate a lot of decisions for this franchise.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
We'll see.

I question his drive and passion.

I hate his body language and if things aren't going well i'll be watching him more then anyone else.

He just seems like a disinterested guy.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Yeah I remember when people were hyping up Deonte Thompson, who's contributed absolutely nothing.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Sure Dez didn't have ELITE speed, but I seen him open mid to deep especially against Janoris Jenkins when people thought it was Jenkins winning the matchups. I'm excited we have Cooper, I think I'm more excited we might be fast forwarding a decision on certain players

I have seen Dez win deep as well, not saying Dez is slow but clearly not the speed of Cooper and was never the rout runner that Cooper is.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seen Dez do that, difference was the ball either didn't go his way or it never came out

No, if you saw Dez doing all of those things, it was only in your dreams.

Dez might have run a route that looked similar; however, the next time Dez would run it completely differently when the QB was expecting the same route.

Dez didn't have the same sharpness to his cuts or that kind of short area quickness. Cooper at 6-1, 210 has Cole Beasley type of short area movement skills.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Please don't compare Cooper to Dez.

Dez in his worst year was still better then Cooper.

We should be in awe that Dez caught 70 balls for 850 yards and 6 TD's with Dak throwing him the ball. Those are actually ridiculous numbers.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Yeah I remember when people were hyping up Deonte Thompson, who's contributed absolutely nothing.

I think it's fair to say that Cooper should be on a different level than Thompson, who we picked up as a castoff that no one valued very much.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

We should be in awe that Dez caught 70 balls for 850 yards and 6 TD's with Dak throwing him the ball. Those are actually ridiculous numbers.

Cooper should be a better fit for the type of quarterback we have. He's a separation player, which is what the Cowboys believe Prescott likes.

Dez was elite when he could reliably get 50-50 balls thrown where he needed them and could win with physicality. The more he could feast on those, the more it opened up other things because defenses would have to play him to stop those passes.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score

Actually no. Dez only works with great QBs that can throw his back shoulder fade.

Cooper will work with any QB because he can get open doing everything and doesn’t require only pin point accuracy like Dez did at this point of his career.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Actually no. Dez only works with great QBs that can throw his back shoulder fade.

Cooper will work with any QB because he can get open doing everything and doesn’t require only pin point accuracy like Dez did at this point of his career.

Cooper had 48 catch last year with Derek Carr and only 22 this year...

I'd imagine Dez's numbers would go up with Derek Carr.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Cooper had 48 catch last year with Derek Carr and only 22 this year...

I'd imagine Dez's numbers would go up with Derek Carr.
He played in 6 games averaging 3.7 catches per game. He only had 31 targets.

His last game he suffered a concussion in the 2nd quarter so that’s why he didn’t get the ball more there.

He had two games of 10+ catches and over 115 yards. Dez’s Last game with that many: 2013 vs the Packers. 11 catches for 153. His last 10 catch 100 yard game: 2014 at Tenn.

I think if the OL blocks Cooper will put up much better production for Dak than Dez did.