CFZ Will McClay is the real GM in the shadows

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Disagree

Stephen Jones is the acting GM with McClay as his right hand man.

Jerry has minimal involvement now with regards to football operations. Similar to the involvement of many other owners. Jerry started handing off to Stephen more and more once Jerry World was completed. Once mini Jerry World (The Star) was completed, Jerry really shifted his focus to the Stadium(s) and that aspect of the business. Everybody that does business with the organization wants to meet with Jerry. It ranges from boxing promoters, colleges & high schools that play at the stadiums, musical performers like U2, George Straight, etc..

Stephen and staff deliver a daily report to Jerry and someone preps him before interviews.

If you listen closely to Jerry, you'll hear Jerry repeating something almost verbatim that one of Stephen, McCarthy or McClay had said previously.

If Jerry utters a complete and coherent sentence or paragraph, it is a big clue that he is repeating what someone told him. Jerry's own thoughts are rarely in complete, coherent sentences.

Stephen and Jerry each do a weekly interview on local sports talk radio during the season and several during the off-season. Tex did it back in his day also.

It quickly becomes obvious that the Cowboys now follow the Stephen Jones plan. The minimal spending on free agents is unquestionably the SJ approach. That was never Jerry's approach.
Agree with some of this. But I don’t buy that SJ is the main driver of the front office. Without McClay, the Jones front office would be run by a great business man who doesn’t know football roster building and his oldest son with a degree in Chemical Engineering.

SJ is the man who manages Jerry’s lunacy and does it well at times, especially on draft day. And he does manage the cap- though not all that well IMO. But he’s certainly keeping it conservative with the FAs- whether that’s good or bad I’m not sure. I just don’t buy that SJ is the main architect of the FO. One thing I do buy- Jerry still has final say on all decisions.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Dallas Cowboys are very lucky to have Will McClay in their front office. Though McClay doesn’t have the official GM title, in reality he handles most of the actual duties that has made this team’s drafts and roster competitive for playoff glory. I shudder to think what this organization would look like without him.

Without McClay, the Cowboys were wandering in a draft wilderness exemplified by the pitiful Jerry-centric drafts like 2009- one of the worst drafts in NFL history. McClay is the primary architect of the improved. roster building we’ve seen over the last decade. His steady hand in finding talent through all 3 days of the draft speaks for itself. Jerry re-upped McClay’s contract in Jan, 2022 and we should be grateful for that.

The actual duties of a real GM in the NFL is not what Jerry Jones does. All he wants to do is be in the spotlight, look like he’s in charge and talk, talk, talk. It’s his drug of choice. He does a good job with the business side of things obviously. But being an NFL GM requires discipline, hours in film rooms, oversight and coordination of team scouting, and a work ethic requiring a strong commitment. In other words, nothing Jerry or Stephen actually do.

BUT- I’ll give Jerry some of that much craved credit he lives for- he continues to recognize Will McClay’s talent and pays him well to do it. For that, I tip my cap to Jerry. Because without McClay there’s no good rosters in Dallas. Period.

So remember the next time Travon Diggs makes an interception or Micah Parsons dominates or Tony Pollard makes a huge play that Zack Martin and Terrance Steele made the key block for- Will McClay is the man we can actually thank for that.

Will McClay is the real GM in Dallas.

Stephen Jones empowers McClay and keeps Jerry away from him.

Many GMs don't spend grueling hours grinding through game footage of prospects. They have people for those tasks. The GM manages the cap, deals with player agents on contracts, makes trades, decides on drafting for need or BPA, etc..

Howie Roseman does not spend 12 hours per day grinding through game footage of draft prospects. He has a staff for that task.

Tex Schramm didn't over-ride Gil Brant's prospect rankings. Tex might decide to draft a RB when Gil preferred a WR but Tex was unlikely to draft Gil's #1 ranked RB ahead of Gil's #2 ranked RB, etc..

During the draft, McClay & staff have presentations of each draft prospect. Game footage cut-ups and a PowerPoint type presentation. They review the presentations for the players that they're considering for the upcoming pick. McClay/staff make the presentations to Stephen, Jerry, McCarthy, Dan Quinn, etc..

Reid1boys

Reaction score

But only when things go well.

He wasnt the GM when it comes to Tolbert.
He wasnt the GM when Dak went down 2 years ago and out back up QB was atrocious.

Its nice to be the guy that gets all the credit for the good stuff, but we blame others for anything that doesnt go as planned.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Agree with some of this. But I don’t buy that SJ is the main driver of the front office. Without McClay, the Jones front office would be run by a great business man who doesn’t know football roster building and his oldest son with a degree in Chemical Engineering.

SJ is the man who manages Jerry’s lunacy and does it well at times, especially on draft day. And he does manage the cap- though not all that well IMO. But he’s certainly keeping it conservative with the FAs- whether that’s good or bad I’m not sure. I just don’t buy that SJ is the main architect of the FO. One thing I do buy- Jerry still has final say on all decisions.
All owners have final say.

The evidence is obvious. You either don't follow what is said vs what actually happens or you don't want to believe it.

My guess is that you don't want to believe it because you enjoy bashing Jerry. It wouldn't be as much fun for you to bash Stephen.

FYI: Getting an Engineering degree from an ABET accredited university means that his IQ is highly likely to be in the top 20% of the population.

The average IQ of degreed Engineers is much higher than the average IQ of coaches.

quickccc

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys are very lucky to have Will McClay in their front office. Though McClay doesn’t have the official GM title, in reality he handles most of the actual duties that has made this team’s drafts and roster competitive for playoff glory. I shudder to think what this organization would look like without him.

Without McClay, the Cowboys were wandering in a draft wilderness exemplified by the pitiful Jerry-centric drafts like 2009- one of the worst drafts in NFL history. McClay is the primary architect of the improved. roster building we’ve seen over the last decade. His steady hand in finding talent through all 3 days of the draft speaks for itself. Jerry re-upped McClay’s contract in Jan, 2022 and we should be grateful for that.

The actual duties of a real GM in the NFL is not what Jerry Jones does. All he wants to do is be in the spotlight, look like he’s in charge and talk, talk, talk. It’s his drug of choice. He does a good job with the business side of things obviously. But being an NFL GM requires discipline, hours in film rooms, oversight and coordination of team scouting, and a work ethic requiring a strong commitment. In other words, nothing Jerry or Stephen actually do.

BUT- I’ll give Jerry some of that much craved credit he lives for- he continues to recognize Will McClay’s talent and pays him well to do it. For that, I tip my cap to Jerry. Because without McClay there’s no good rosters in Dallas. Period.

So remember the next time Travon Diggs makes an interception or Micah Parsons dominates or Tony Pollard makes a huge play that Zack Martin and Terrance Steele made the key block for- Will McClay is the man we can actually thank for that.

Real GM in terms of team finances, salary cap .. or GM in terms of hunting down the player- personnel per draft, trade, and free agency ?

i am very glad the Cowboys finally decided to place Wil McClay and his personnel group on the team's website.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All owners have final say.

The evidence is obvious. You either don't follow what is said vs what actually happens or you don't want to believe it.

My guess is that you don't want to believe it because you enjoy bashing Jerry. It wouldn't be as much fun for you to bash Stephen.

FYI: Getting an Engineering degree from an ABET accredited university means that his IQ is highly likely to be in the top 20% of the population.

The average IQ of degreed Engineers is much higher than the average IQ of coaches.
We all have opinions X. Yours and mine are two of them. But opinions aren’t facts.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
They signed a bunch of free agents this year and you should count their own free agents in this total. Overall they built an outstanding team.

Like the team ....
Would like us to be players for the big name free agents in free agency.

rambo2

Reaction score
Like the team ....
Would like us to be players for the big name free agents in free agency.
The grass is always greener. To me anybody that was a 1st round draft pick like Fowler, Hooker, Barr, and Takk McKinley is a big name free agent.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Good thing McClay does not have this inflated ego like Jerry does, or he would have walked out of here long time ago. Sure money talks, but sometimes it's not enough.

rambo2

Reaction score
Good thing McClay does not have this inflated ego like Jerry does, or he would have walked out of here long time ago. Sure money talks, but sometimes it's not enough.
McClay loves the Cowboys and they love him.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

Will McClay did not trade Amari Cooper away, he traded for Amari Cooper. Giving Cooper away was Jerry Dumbo GM Jones. Will McClay did not change language in contracts that lost you a DE. That was Jerry Dumbo GM Jones. Drafting Dak was Will McClay and Wade Wilson (RIP). Not giving Dak a contract after the 2018 season was Jerry Dumbo GM Jones.

What McClay is good at is bringing cohesion, consensus, clarity to player personnel decisions by a GM that has no cohesion, no consensus but himself, and no clarity. He presents the choices for the NFL draft and trades to Dallas. When Jerry Dumbo GM Jones goes off script, he has the temperament not to make it personal understanding it is personnel. That is what he learned in his position of Pro Personnel scouting as Jerry Dumbo GM Jones would make bad GM decisions that he had to find the Pros to cover it up.

Will McClay is not the GM in Dallas. It is Jerry Dumbo GM Jones and he will trade for Joey Galloway, pass on Randy Moss, trade for Roy Williams, and trade away Amari Cooper to remind everyone these are the Arlington Jonesboys.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I wish I had the audio, but about a month ago Jerry was on the radio and the interviewer asked him about McClay and his successes he's had at free agent acquisitions and overall roster building. Jerry's reply was that it was actually Stephen who is responsible for that, but Stephen was too humble to take credit for it. :laugh:

Wow it actually bothers me a lot that Jerry had that gall to say that. I'm sure McClay gets fed up with the Jones boys all of the time.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Agreed. If only JJ would/could recognize he gets and deserves credit for hiring the right people. His lust for the spotlight only reduces what should already be enough credit to bask in.
I appreciate you guys bringing this to peoples attention here. For those of us who do not live in Dallas, or Texas either for that matter, all you ever read about the Dallas Cowboys is Jerry Jones. He overshadows everything, and it gives the impression that he is still the one making all the big decisions. That he is still playing GM. This is the first I ever heard of the name McClay. Do they ever show him on tv? They sure show the Jones boys constantly. I have never heard McClays name mentioned during a broadcast even.
I do remember hearing that years ago Jerry was in love with Johnny Manziel and wanted to draft him, but the story I read said his son told him no- and I believe they drafted Martin or Fredericks then. They rebuilt the offensive line into the best in the game back then - was that McClay too, or before he got here?

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Will McClay is the head of player evaluation.

He has no control whether Jerry or Stephen follow his evaluations or do something on their own or listen to someone else. See Taco Charlton and Trysten Hill.

Since he’s not the ultimate decision maker, I’m not sure I’d call him the real GM. More like the head of,scouting.

This is the best way to put it.

The scouting department has just been locked in for the past decade. It's not just the players they take who are good... if you believe the rumor mills about other guys they were considering (eg Patrick Surtain and Jevon Holland in 2021), those guys have been good too. They don't bat 1.000, but they have been legitimately smarter than the pack.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
He was. I just remember Jimmy being very impressed with Stephen's prowess at such a young age.
Not. See the Emmitt Smith hold out and the signing of Deion Sanders which almost had Stephen punching Jerry.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Will McClay did not trade Amari Cooper away, he traded for Amari Cooper. Giving Cooper away was Jerry Dumbo GM Jones. Will McClay did not change language in contracts that lost you a DE. That was Jerry Dumbo GM Jones. Drafting Dak was Will McClay and Wade Wilson (RIP). Not giving Dak a contract after the 2018 season was Jerry Dumbo GM Jones.

What McClay is good at is bringing cohesion, consensus, clarity to player personnel decisions by a GM that has no cohesion, no consensus but himself, and no clarity. He presents the choices for the NFL draft and trades to Dallas. When Jerry Dumbo GM Jones goes off script, he has the temperament not to make it personal understanding it is personnel. That is what he learned in his position of Pro Personnel scouting as Jerry Dumbo GM Jones would make bad GM decisions that he had to find the Pros to cover it up.

Will McClay is not the GM in Dallas. It is Jerry Dumbo GM Jones and he will trade for Joey Galloway, pass on Randy Moss, trade for Roy Williams, and trade away Amari Cooper to remind everyone these are the Arlington Jonesboys.

Not signing Dak after 2018 to a FOUR year deal( which is the only deal Dak would have signed) has worked to our advantage. Dak is currently the 17th highest paid QB..... sounds like a BARGAIN. Next year and the year after is only 31, then 34 million. So Jerry NOT signing Dak was a huge WIN for us.

We have 3 losses this year. Wed still have 3 losses with Cooper. Our offense is number 1 since Dak returned, I guess wed be higher if we still had Cooper? Getting rid of Cooper was a win.
The Cowboys lost a 70 million dollar DE that has been out almost the entire season and replaced by ROOKIE contracts at a fraction of the cost and the defense leads the league in Sacks. Again, a WIN by ANY METRIC you want to use.

But keeping talking your nonsense, maybe some will believe the garbage.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I appreciate you guys bringing this to peoples attention here. For those of us who do not live in Dallas, or Texas either for that matter, all you ever read about the Dallas Cowboys is Jerry Jones. He overshadows everything, and it gives the impression that he is still the one making all the big decisions. That he is still playing GM. This is the first I ever heard of the name McClay. Do they ever show him on tv? They sure show the Jones boys constantly. I have never heard McClays name mentioned during a broadcast even.
I do remember hearing that years ago Jerry was in love with Johnny Manziel and wanted to draft him, but the story I read said his son told him no- and I believe they drafted Martin or Fredericks then. They rebuilt the offensive line into the best in the game back then - was that McClay too, or before he got here?
To me that’s the crazy thing about Jerry’s insatiable appetite to be the face and centerpiece of this franchise. He would actually get so much more credit if he just backed off. Hiring and keeping Will McClay is one of the best decisions he’s ever made.

plasticman

Reaction score
Basically, Jerry and McCray are exchanging cash for public credit.

I say public credit because those who know the NFL realize who is really behind the Cowboys successful drafts.

Should the Cowboys win the Super Bowl, Jerry could redeem himself somewhat, by acknowledging McCray and his imprint on a successful Cowboys franchise.

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
When it’s good it’s McClay… When it’s bad it’s Jerry and Sons. Question is… Are you not entertained?