Will McClay on the draft

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Since Jerry has already chuckled about the limit, it's probable that they will have trouble holding Witten anywhere near 25 snaps, even if they try to. I'm hoping the coaches actually give the other TEs the opportunity to prove themselves, but I don't know if that will be the case.

It is probably more about Witten actually being team first instead of me first. He's always been an extreme competitor and I just can't see him taking some direction like that quietly. Nor do I think the staff is prepared to challenge him with it. It will just organically happen and continue to happen so long as it is successful. Now if his play shows it has fallen off, then things might change.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not counting on it. Stephen Jones talked up Pollard and talked about getting him 20 plays a game, but added "I can't speak for Jason".

I doubt Garrett is going to give him free reign when he is on the final year of his contract.

Didn't he also say, last year, that Tavon Austin was going to get 20 touches a game. how did that turn out. :laugh:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is pretty rare that you hear these other teams say "we like what we have" over and over and over in response to challenging questions regarding personnel.

We like ours guys
It's a process
We like our guys
It's a process

I never heard that from any other team actually.

Alexander

Reaction score
We like ours guys
It's a process
We like our guys
It's a process

I never heard that from any other team actually.
No the "it's a process" thing is big in Buffalo these days, McDermott says it a lot. They even have it on T-shirts.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
You lost me ......With the exception of a few calling their own plays, couldn't this be said about most NFL head coaches?
The good ones all "own" and install a system on one side of the ball or the other, or call plays. Payton's offense, Zimmer's defense, etc. etc. etc.

You can just go right down the list of NFL HCs...it's hard to find one who doesn't have his own system on one side of the ball. The ones that don't successfully implement that get fired quickly (Wilkes).

Outlaw Heroes

Reaction score
It is pretty rare that you hear these other teams say "we like what we have" over and over and over in response to challenging questions regarding personnel.

It can't be rare. It's the right answer whether you like your guys or not. Any other response simply plants doubt and dissension in your locker room and reveals competitively sensitive information. Nobody needs to know what management is thinking until management has made a decision. So, yeah, you should expect to hear it again and again and again in response to questions like "are you looking to upgrade at this position?" or "has the team had discussions with (or considered the possibility of signing) so and so?"

You may not like it but "we like our guys" is simply the right response.

Alexander

Reaction score
You may not like it but "we like our guys" is simply the right response.
Saying it out loud over and over again from the owner to his son to the personnel guy is just out of the norm. Sorry, it is a self evident thing but when you repeat it thinking that it carries any weight it is actually pretty much a punchline.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
what exactly is JG's purpose? Doesn't build the offense, doesn't build the defense, and doesn't call any plays.

giphy.gif

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
But it's still the Garrett offense. That's the problem. Linehan shook it up a bit too when he arrived.

If Moore is the architect of some completely new offense, then I'll ask again, what exactly is JG's purpose? Doesn't build the offense, doesn't build the defense, and doesn't call any plays.
Why he is a walk around head coach that's what he is.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If Moore is the architect of some completely new offense, then I'll ask again, what exactly is JG's purpose? Doesn't build the offense, doesn't build the defense, and doesn't call any plays.

This reminds me of a laborer complaining that the CEO "doesn't do anything".

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Tidbits from Will McClay from Calvin Watkin's interview with him for an article in The Athletic:
https://***BLOCKED***/953825/2019/0...alks-cowboys-draft-picks-philosophy-and-more/

There you have it. Marinelli's relationship with Frost drove the train for this pick.

I guess this really is something everyone parrots, taking their lead from the Joneses. There is probably a big sign on the wall in the personnel area.

Looks like they are waiting for a transformational safety to drop into their laps before they consider it important enough. Well, good luck with that unless you want to trade up very high to get that kind of player in most drafts.
---

Overall though, that article was pretty good at getting down to the thought processes.

It probably is one of the view articles you will see with some depth and insight as to what they were thinking.

This was the best quote of what I read. And it made me very very happy:

With our new direction offensively and what we’re talking about doing, it’s about having players that have roles

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Tidbits from Will McClay from Calvin Watkin's interview with him for an article in The Athletic:
https://***BLOCKED***/953825/2019/0...alks-cowboys-draft-picks-philosophy-and-more/

There you have it. Marinelli's relationship with Frost drove the train for this pick.

I guess this really is something everyone parrots, taking their lead from the Joneses. There is probably a big sign on the wall in the personnel area.

Looks like they are waiting for a transformational safety to drop into their laps before they consider it important enough. Well, good luck with that unless you want to trade up very high to get that kind of player in most drafts.
---

Overall though, that article was pretty good at getting down to the thought processes.

It probably is one of the view articles you will see with some depth and insight as to what they were thinking.
This sucks. Making a pick based on personal relationships. No way you look at the tape and production and say hill was a better football player than thornhill, adderley, or rapp

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
This reminds me of a laborer complaining that the CEO "doesn't do anything".
I didn't say he doens't do anything. I said, "what is his purpose?"

You going to answer that?

John813

Reaction score
"You know it, I know it, everybody knows it. It was the best draft, possibly ever. Huge draft."

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Is it? Serious question and not trying to be argumentative but how much detail like this do you listen to from other teams and the questions their hometown reporters ask?

I mean if you do, then you have a basis on this point. I don't at all, so I have no frame of reference.
It's not rare. At all.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
No the "it's a process" thing is big in Buffalo these days, McDermott says it a lot. They even have it on T-shirts.
Buffalo definitely does

But "process" is pretty common throughout all of sports, really.