Will new helmet rule ruin the game?

Praxit

Reaction score
Dont know about you guys. But this is football. Now the players will be holding back from hitting spontaneous, in result the runners will take advantage for Xtra yards. I think it stinks. Here is vid that started it all.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Well,We ought to just wait & see just what the effects& fallout of this new rule actually brings with it first, will it substantially reduce CTE's,,, :lmao:,,,not hardly, it's still the game of FOOTBALL where a 300lb dude can pancake a 200lb dude,,,will it degrade the flow& subjectively alter the games outcomes, of course it will,,,but like I'd stated in the beginning
" let's just wait& see"o_O

kskboys

Reaction score
People been blubbering since 78 when they started changing the rules to make the game safer. Same complaints as now. If something ruins this game, it dang sure won't be these rule changes.

JBond

Reaction score
The first time Zeke lowers his head, he will be gone. Hope Dak tears it up this year.

JBond

Reaction score
Let's just do a wait and see how this rule is enforced. I think they're just trying to focus in on targeting.
Nope. From my understanding they must apply the rule everytime regardless of circumstances. It also applies to the offense. Think RB bending down, leaning forward for extra yards.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The NFL is attempting to save the game from enormous litigation which could end the Game.

I’m a proponent of abolishing the current Gladiator style head gear in favor of going back to the leather head gear.

Football has not always been about using your head to make stops, tackles or knocking the ball out nor in runners using it to lead with.

This technique has been developed over time with coaching looking for a competitive advantage which has unfortunately led us to this point.

The NFL is also at fault because they suspected and possibly knew the effects but didn’t take action until they were exposed with the scientific evidence and litigation that threatens the game as we know it today.

Flamma

Reaction score
The NFL is attempting to save the game from enormous litigation which could end the Game.

I’m a proponent of abolishing the current Gladiator style head gear in favor of going back to the leather head gear.

I don't think this will work. The NFL has a monopoly on the sport and no other league is going to compete. But if they move to something drastic that could change. What's stopping another league from emerging without all of these rules and just making the players sign off if they want to play? You're all adults, here are the risks, you play at your own risk. Now sign. I am sure MMA or boxing has something similar.

Nope. From my understanding they must apply the rule everytime regardless of circumstances. It also applies to the offense. Think RB bending down, leaning forward for extra yards.

I don't think that's going to happen or they will ruin the game. I'm thinking they aren't going to call anything unless someone specifically targets a player with their helmet. Similar to the Earl Campbell famous run. The difference is now they can eject the player. But I admit I could be wrong.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I don't think this will work. The NFL has a monopoly on the sport and no other league is going to compete. But if they move to something drastic that could change. What's stopping another league from emerging without all of these rules and just making the players sign off if they want to play? You're all adults, here are the risks, you play at your own risk. Now sign. I am sure MMA or boxing has something similar.

I don't think that's going to happen or they will ruin the game. I'm thinking they aren't going to call anything unless someone specifically targets a player with their helmet. Similar to the Earl Campbell famous run. The difference is now they can eject the player. But I admit I could be wrong.
Signing off is not going to totally prevent litigation or wrongful death suits. Wait until someone actually dies on the field on Live TV.

Don’t forget Congress could always get involved with legislation or threatening taking away the NFL tax exempt status if they didn’t take action.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The NFL is obviously taking these actions as preventive measures to present a perception they’re at least attempting to curve injuries to the head from the helmet.

We’ll see if this will ease the ongoing litigation that’s already cost the NFL and their insurers billions.

The real solutions though begin at the lower levels where these tactics of using the helmet and head as a weapon must be stopped from being taught.

Or we’ll need to implement new helmets or headgear which can’t cause as much damage at impact discouraging players from using them as a weapon or tool in contact.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I grew up in an era when the hard helmet with face mask were just beginning to be more mainstream. We were still coached to tackle and hit with our shoulders and arms.

My father whose pic is depicted in my avatar of course played in last era with the leather headgear. I truly don’t think the sport would be that drastically effected without the Gladiator helmets if the coaching techniques and rules abolishing uses them are adhered .

Afterall if you can’t use your head or helmet for contact why would you need something like that on your head? Except for protection if you hit your head on the ground which playing on artificial turf was also contributing to additional injuries which Id recommend going back to all grass fields.

Flamma

Reaction score
Signing off is not going to totally prevent litigation or wrongful death suits. Wait until someone actually dies on the field on Live TV.

Don’t forget Congress could always get involved with legislation or threatening taking away the NFL tax exempt status if they didn’t take action.

People have died in the ring, right? Besides, the only entity that cares about their tax exempt status (which I didn't know) would be the NFL. That still doesn't take away the fact that if they so drastically change the game they run the risk of someone else taking their place. Impact sports are not illegal. Wrongful death suits are hard to win when all parties involved know the risks and agree to them.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
People have died in the ring, right? Besides, the only entity that cares about their tax exempt status (which I didn't know) would be the NFL. That still doesn't take away the fact that if they so drastically change the game they run the risk of someone else taking their place. Impact sports are not illegal. Wrongful death suits are hard to win when all parties involved know the risks and agree to them.
In order for a competitor to emerge they need sponsors and networks to compete plus the support of Congress for Anti Trust acts.

We’ve already had USFL and XFootball attempt and failing after 2 and 3 years respectfully. It would take several investors investing billions without any guarantees of returns assuming they find a means of broadcasting and stadium rights.

It’s amazing that some fans believe that Football without barbaric collision causing head injuries and death resulting in litigation wouldn’t be an attractive sport. It was before.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And I’m not familiar with anyone dying in the boxing ring or if they have an organization that’s protected from Congress.

The NFL has already acknowledged and settled lawsuits setting precedence for continued litigation and why the NFL is taking action with rule changes.

The last class action suit included about a third of former players including Tony Dorsett which was about 4,000 players totaling over $750 million . There’s several other suits pending.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...-agree-to-765m-settlement-in-concussions-suit

Last edited:

JBond

Reaction score

I am going with the words of the competition committee...

Originally, the competition committee planned a new point of emphasis in 2018 on helmet shots. The owners responded by asking for an actual rule adjustment. The result could be one of the most impactful changes since the NFL began dealing with its concussion crisis nearly a decade ago. "It's a substantial change for us," the head of the NFL's competition committee Rich McKay said after making the announcement. He explained that while previous rules had been geared towards specific instances, such as protecting defenseless receivers, "we need to get out of situational protection and protect all players at all times."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/28/nfl-safety-rule-change-lower-head-helmet-themmqb-newsletter