News: Will Orlando Scandrick Return to Cowboys in 2018?

Verdict

Reaction score
No. He and the FO know that he'll likely not be the starter and both mutually understand that he will not be content to take a backseat. They should fish a 7th rd. pick (or best case 6th) for him and his cheap contract, but knowing the ole' softy GM, they'll release him pre-june 1st. He'll very likely be on the Charger's or Ram's roster in 2018.

I think you could trade him for a 4th or 5th. You guys are under rating what a starting corner is worth. His contract is peanuts for a starting corner.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, look again...Scandrick has be worth his payroll in the slot and blitzes very well from the edge.

Don't kid oneself...he still has a good set of legs.
His legs don’t appear to be what they once were.

In his last 6 seasons, Scandrick has only played a full 16 game season once. In fact, he has missed 19 regular season games due to injury since 2011. I appreciate what he brought all those years, but in my opinion, his value has diminished to the point that it’s time to move on.

CCBoy

Reaction score
His legs don’t appear to be what they once were.

In his last 6 seasons, Scandrick has only played a full 16 game season once. In fact, he has missed 19 regular season games due to injury since 2011. I appreciate what he brought all those years, but in my opinion, his value has diminished to the point that it’s time to move on.

Being over worked at any positional group, results in injuries. That's just the way of the NFL today...unless the team heavily rotates. Just not many teams that dominant in their rosters. People all get hurt over the length of a season...all players do.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Being over worked at any positional group, results in injuries. That's just the way of the NFL today...unless the team heavily rotates. Just not many teams that dominant in their rosters. People all get hurt over the length of a season...all players do.
Yes people get hurt, but players you are counting on must be durable. One of the “bottom line” ways to judge an NFL player’s value must include durability. If a player consistently struggles to stay on the field because of injuries, especially if over 30, their value drops significantly.

IMO, the only way Scandy should be even considered worth keeping is at a greatly reduced price.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yes people get hurt, but players you are counting on must be durable. One of the “bottom line” ways to judge an NFL player’s value must include durability. If a player consistently struggles to stay on the field because of injuries, especially if over 30, their value drops significantly.

IMO, the only way Scandy should be even considered worth keeping is at a greatly reduced price.

You really think that everyone over 30 is that fragile? Explain how Darrel Green won the NFL Pro Bowl foot race...well into his forties?

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You really think that everyone over 30 is that fragile? Explain how Darrel Green won the NFL Pro Bowl foot race...well into his forties?
No, I didn’t say everyone over 30 is fragile. I just said Orlando Scandrick is. Based on his last 6 years, missing 19 games. He’s not durable. Witten is a great example of an over 30 guy who is durable.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And Darrell Green was an amazing outlier. The number of players in NFL history that have performed that well at 40 can be counted on one hand.

CCBoy

Reaction score
No, I didn’t say everyone over 30 is fragile. I just said Orlando Scandrick is. Based on his last 6 years, missing 19 games. He’s not durable. Witten is a great example of an over 30 guy who is durable.
First off, clarify what missed games occurred in which years and what exactly were the injuries...before we 'officially' declare that the sky is falling. Yea, present more than an abstract figure in this discussion...

CCBoy

Reaction score
And Darrell Green was an amazing outlier. The number of players in NFL history that have performed that well at 40 can be counted on one hand.

The point is that he retained physical abilities at his entrance levels...because he worked very hard through the years. Point, being the hard work, not beginning level special skills. Scandrick, as to entrance level speed...is very comparable. 4.3 forty time...and I see no reference anywhere, that he isn't in that neighborhood at present.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
First off, clarify what missed games occurred in which years and what exactly were the injuries...before we 'officially' declare that the sky is falling. Yea, present more than an abstract figure in this discussion...
Ok here are the facts of Scandrick’s career regarding games missed:

2008- played all 16
2009- all 16
2010- all 16

So 2008-10, he was very durable.

2011- played 13 games, missed 3
2012- played 11 games, missing 5
2013- played all 16
2014- played 14 missing 2
2015- missed the entire season due to injury
2016- played 12 games, missing 4
2017- played 11 games, missing 5.

So in the last 7 years, Scandrick has missed 35 games due to injury. If you want to take out missing the whole 2015 season, it’s only 19.

Look I don’t hate Scandy or older players. I just want durable players to be the ones we invest our money with. Sure injuries happen, but when it’s every year, there’s a problem.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Ok here are the facts of Scandrick’s career regarding games missed:

2008- played all 16
2009- all 16
2010- all 16

So 2008-10, he was very durable.

2011- played 13 games, missed 3
2012- played 11 games, missing 5
2013- played all 16
2014- played 14 missing 2
2015- missed the entire season due to injury
2016- played 12 games, missing 4
2017- played 11 games, missing 5.

So in the last 7 years, Scandrick has missed 35 games due to injury. If you want to take out missing the whole 2015 season, it’s only 19.

Look I don’t hate Scandy or older players. I just want durable players to be the ones we invest our money with. Sure injuries happens, but when it’s every year, there’s a problem.

That is some good addition to a discussion...but we don't have a reasonable analysis yet. How was he hurt? There also was some periods of the team, when hamstring injuries (many lasting a good part of a season) were very common for a Cowboy conditioned player. Not just Scandrick.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is some good addition to a discussion...but we don't have a reasonable analysis yet. How was he hurt? There also was some periods of the team, when hamstring injuries (many lasting a good part of a season) were very common for a Cowboy conditioned player. Not just Scandrick.
We can certainly agree on Scandrick’s ability. He long ago proved he was a very good DB. In fact, for a while, he was arguably the best defensive player we had.

But his lack of durability is a fact. How anyone interprets whether or not he’s worth keeping on this roster is certainly debateable. But I don’t see how he could not be considered injury prone with all the games he’s missed the last 7 seasons. That’s all I’m saying. Scandrick is a high risk for injury and at 31, the odds of him having an injury free season are much less than if he was younger.

CCBoy

Reaction score
We can certainly agree on Scandrick’s ability. He long ago proved he was a very good DB. In fact, for a while, he was arguably the best defensive player we had.

But his lack of durability is a fact. How anyone interprets whether or not he’s worth keeping on this roster is certainly debateable. But I don’t see how he could not be considered injury prone with all the games he’s missed the last 7 seasons. That’s all I’m saying. Scandrick is a high risk for injury and at 31, the odds of him having an injury free season are much less than if he was younger.

Limiting play of an aging defensive end has lengthened the careers of several players for Dallas...but I'm not saying to half play Scandrick, but spreading the load with a really strong cornerback group is the best of all considerations. When injury does strike, having Scandrick and not paying through the nose for a Carroll definitely is the preferred status.