Will the 2024 FA class rival our 2017 class?

Sydla

Reaction score
Nolan Carroll
Byron Bell
Stephen Paea
Damontre Moore
Jonathon Cooper

Cooper was the best of the bunch. Carroll got let go by mid-season and never played again in the NFL. Paea's knees couldn't hold up and he retired. Moore got suspended for violating the substance abuse policy and was basically a non-factor for us. Bell only played because Chaz Green was so bad. Bell only lasted on more year in the NFL.

You can't beat that kind of quality we hauled in that year by hitting the bargain bins hard. And remember, this was coming off our 2016 season when we won the division but lost that close game to the Packers in the playoffs. Jerry went all in that offseason trying to capitalize on the previous 13-3 season. LOL.

Aven8

Reaction score
I don’t think so. DQ screwed up Mazi. Overshown has a lot of promise (if healthy). Schoonmaker was an amazing blocker in college, and Brooks looks like he can play.

All were dealt bad hands last season.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don’t think so. DQ screwed up Mazi. Overshown has a lot of promise (if healthy). Schoonmaker was an amazing blocker in college, and Brooks looks like he can play.

What do these guys have to do with the quality of FAs?

But if you are suggesting that we don't need real LB help in FA because Overshown is gonna fix that, well then, LOL.

Aven8

Reaction score
What do these guys have to do with the quality of FAs?

But if you are suggesting that we don't need real LB help in FA because Overshown is gonna fix that, well then, LOL.
Are you kidding me? I’m the President of Bring in LB’s for like 5 seasons now. And yet they let all of the good ones get picked up.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hard to say we have to wait and see who they sign in 24 but i'd still guess the 2024 FA group is better than 2017.

Sydla

Reaction score
Hard to say we have to wait and see who they sign in 24 but i'd still guess the 2024 FA group is better than 2017.
2017 was epically bad, especially considering they were coming off a 13-3 season and needed a few key pieces that could have gotten them over the hump.

Aven8

Reaction score
Nolan Carroll
Byron Bell
Stephen Paea
Damontre Moore
Jonathon Cooper

Cooper was the best of the bunch. Carroll got let go by mid-season and never played again in the NFL. Paea's knees couldn't hold up and he retired. Moore got suspended for violating the substance abuse policy and was basically a non-factor for us. Bell only played because Chaz Green was so bad. Bell only lasted on more year in the NFL.

You can't beat that kind of quality we hauled in that year by hitting the bargain bins hard. And remember, this was coming off our 2016 season when we won the division but lost that close game to the Packers in the playoffs. Jerry went all in that offseason trying to capitalize on the previous 13-3 season. LOL.
My bad I originally read that as draft class!

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
2017 was epically bad, especially considering they were coming off a 13-3 season and needed a few key pieces that could have gotten them over the hump.
ugh now you really trying to scare me! It's ok i just assume they are an 8 win team till they prove me wrong. If they have another impactless draft then i'll worry that they might struggle to get those 8 wins.

Creeper

Reaction score
Nolan Carroll
Byron Bell
Stephen Paea
Damontre Moore
Jonathon Cooper

2017 was the year Dallas had to eat Romo's contract after he retired, wasn't it? I think this year does resemble that year in some ways. They Cowboys lost a bunch of their own free agents that year too, including Ron Leary, Jack Crawford, Terrell McClain, Brandon Carr, Morris Claiborne, Barry Church, and JJ Wilcox. Their replacements were not as good as the player that were lost and it showed. The Cowboys went 9-7 despite having 5 pro-bowl players.

Welcome to 2017 the sequel.

Davidlee1973

Reaction score

This a thread about free agency not the draft

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Nolan Carroll
Byron Bell
Stephen Paea
Damontre Moore
Jonathon Cooper

Id be happy with that lol. Paea may have been a decent signing if not for the knees