Will the Cowboys relieve the Saints logjam at FS?

TroyEmmittAndMichael

Reaction score
According to Don Banks SI article, the Saints may release at least one FS on their roster. If Watkins, Davis, Beriault, or Coleman doesn't work out for the Cowboys, picking up the Saints leftovers might not be a bad thing.

What is one man's trash is another man's treasure. Now if we could find the same thing for the O-line.

Excerpt from Banks article:

Roman Harper vs. Dwight Smith, New Orleans: In choosing Harper, an Alabama safety, in the second round, the Saints now have a real logjam at the position. New Orleans traded for Bryan Scott this offseason, and the former starter in Atlanta already was going to be in competition with the likes of free-agent signee Omar Stoutmire and incumbents Dwight Smith, Jay Bellamy and Josh Bullocks.

Club officials have confirmed that despite his productive 2005 season, Smith could be on the trading block. It stands to reason that New Orleans will have to part ways with at least one or two other safeties between now and the season opener.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/05/03/postdraft/index.html

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind having Smith on the team.

I think we'd have to keep 5 safeties though.

Smith
Roy
Davis
Watkins

Beriault?

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Rack said:

Smith
Roy
Davis
Watkins

Beriault?

that looks real nice

cowboyuptx

Reaction score
Rack said:

Smith
Roy
Davis
Watkins

Beriault?

I'm pretty sure, it will Stoutmire that gets released and I dont really want him. I dont see a situation coming about, where we'd pickup any more safetys. Parcells already has his insurance policy, with his old buddy Marcus Coleman.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
cowboyuptx said:
I'm pretty sure, it will Stoutmire that gets released and I dont really want him. I dont see a situation coming about, where we'd pickup any more safetys. Parcells already has his insurance policy, with his old buddy Marcus Coleman.

Stoutmire? Been there done that.

If we sign a veteran FS then Coleman or Davis would be the most likely to be let go and we just paid Davis so it would probably be Coleman who is released.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Why would the Boys trade a draft pick or player for Smith, when Lance Schulters and Antuan Edwards are unrestricted free agents??

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
silverbear said:
Why would the Boys trade a draft pick or player for Smith, when Lance Schulters and Antuan Edwards are unrestricted free agents??

Because Smith is way, way better than those chumps.

Personally, I don't think Dallas has any interest in Smith. They could have had him last year and didn't. They have a good relationship with Payton and a hole at the position......yet no deal.

I am pretty much convinced that the team just doesn't value the position. To them, its not worth throwing high picks or money at.

I agree, to an extent, but if a guy like Smith comes along (who can also play corner and cover the slot), you add him. His contract isn't very big.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watkins has more physical talent than any of those Saint FS's.

mwmilsted

Reaction score
TroyEmmittAndMichael said:
According to Don Banks SI article, the Saints may release at least one FS on their roster. If Watkins, Davis, Beriault, or Coleman doesn't work out for the Cowboys, picking up the Saints leftovers might not be a bad thing.

What is one man's trash is another man's treasure. Now if we could find the same thing for the O-line.

Roman Harper vs. Dwight Smith, New Orleans: In choosing Harper, an Alabama safety, in the second round, the Saints now have a real logjam at the position. New Orleans traded for Bryan Scott this offseason, and the former starter in Atlanta already was going to be in competition with the likes of free-agent signee Omar Stoutmire and incumbents Dwight Smith, Jay Bellamy and Josh Bullocks.

Club officials have confirmed that despite his productive 2005 season, Smith could be on the trading block. It stands to reason that New Orleans will have to part ways with at least one or two other safeties between now and the season opener.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/05/03/postdraft/index.html
Another ridiculous post. No!!!! The Cowboys will not relieve the Saints of a Safety. Check what BP says in another thread.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I think we'd be pretty lucky to get a player like Dwight Smith into our secondary. I'd be much happier with Smith than Marcus Coleman. And at least I would have no hesitation what so ever that our defense was solid at every position.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
TroyEmmittAndMichael said:

The only thing Dallas needs to even lightly consider trading for is an offensive lineman with some pedigree... but don't even consider trading a body for next year's picks...

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
Guys, I think we are just fine at FS. We are going to have competition in camp. I forsee Coleman and/or Pile being cut.

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
I think the safeties the Boys want to go to camp with are already on the roster. That's not to say they won't pick up one or two as TC progresses. IMHO, how Coleman and Berry-O perform will decide whether or not another one is picked up.

My DB prediction for this year is Keith Davis is going to come into his own. He never played FS before last year, and didn't do too bad of a job. he had some missed assignments, but I think he'll be better. If not, Watkins will step in and play. Coleman was just TC competition, IMHO.

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
THUMPER said:
Stoutmire? Been there done that.

If we sign a veteran FS then Coleman or Davis would be the most likely to be let go and we just paid Davis so it would probably be Coleman who is released.

Yea, no kiddin. I'm surprised Stoutmire is still in the league after all this time, good for him.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
out of Coleman, Berry-O, Davis and Watkins, one of them HAS to work out, I doubt we make a play

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
silverbear said:

Because Smith has more range than Shulters and Edwards is nothing but a big-name scrub that is an inferior player. There is a reason he keeps getting released.

At any rate, you are correct, it doesn't make much sense to trade anything for Smith. If we wanted him badly enough, we would have picked him up last year before the BB gun incident.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Watkins has more physical talent than any of those Saint FS's.

I'd disagree with that.

Smith is very talented.

sago1

Reaction score
Who we keep at FS will on depend on how far along Watkins is before the last cut. If Coleman wins starting job for now & Watkins is the backup, then it's a shootout between Beriault(depending on how fast he develops as a FS and Pile but doubt Davis even has an oar into this position. Davis is a great ST first; then Roy's backup. In the end its Coleman/Watkins/Beriault at FS & Williams/Davis at SS. Beriault can play SS and hopefully FS as well; but Beriault also a good ST. We've got a lot of good ST guys who've come onboard this year.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
junk said:
I'd disagree with that.

Smith is very talented.

I agree. Smith is much better in man to man coverage than Watkins is.