Will the Cowboys relieve the Saints logjam at FS?

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
I also don't think that we should help the saints in any way. As they tried to sabotage us during offseason stealing our players away.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
jdub, sig modification, but K should be checked off on your checklist ;)

Yeah, my checklist changed as the offseason pre-draft progressed. I must have removed kicker from the checklist after Vanderjadt got signed...

Of course, I couldn't check off Ko Simpson, Jason Allen, or McNeill because we didn't get them, so I guess those checklist items are incompletes for now.

:D

Eskimo

Reaction score
Alexander said:
Because Smith has more range than Shulters and Edwards is nothing but a big-name scrub that is an inferior player. There is a reason he keeps getting released.

At any rate, you are correct, it doesn't make much sense to trade anything for Smith. If we wanted him badly enough, we would have picked him up last year before the BB gun incident.

Hopefully this isn't a replay of last year's Tucker/Rogers/Pettiti/Vollers at RT or alternatively Davis/Scott/Reese/Beriault at FS.

If Smith were available during the draft, the deal should have been made then - we've already brought in a vet and spent a draft pick on a kid the coaching staff likes so my guess is this is who we go to camp with for better or worse.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
We aren't going to keep more than 4 safeties.

Roy as a starter, Davis as an incumbent/fantastic ST player are pretty entrenched.

Next we have Watkins, who, if he lives up to the name he's created and the fact that he's a rookie, will probably stay.

It is then between Bariault, Coleman and Pile. Pile most likely leaves as he has little value on ST and isn't a good starter.

Between Bariault and Coleman, I think it depends on if we can start Watkins. If we can go with watkins, we probably cut Coleman and keep 3 SS's and 1 FS (watkins). If Watkins can't start, we probably keep the experienced Coleman and get rid of Bariault (regardless of what Parcells said - he said that about Daleroy Stewart, Willie Blade, etc.)

Eskimo

Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
We aren't going to keep more than 4 safeties.

Roy as a starter, Davis as an incumbent/fantastic ST player are pretty entrenched.

Next we have Watkins, who, if he lives up to the name he's created and the fact that he's a rookie, will probably stay.

It is then between Bariault, Coleman and Pile. Pile most likely leaves as he has little value on ST and isn't a good starter.

Between Bariault and Coleman, I think it depends on if we can start Watkins. If we can go with watkins, we probably cut Coleman and keep 3 SS's and 1 FS (watkins). If Watkins can't start, we probably keep the experienced Coleman and get rid of Bariault (regardless of what Parcells said - he said that about Daleroy Stewart, Willie Blade, etc.)

If Beriault's knee is looking good and they just want Coleman as a stopgap for one-year they may try to stash Beriault on the practice squad.

But, if Watkins and Beriault look good they will bite the bullet and release Coleman knowing they can bring him back later if need be. No one was exactly banging down the door to bring him in.

Another possibility is to go with 5 safeties and 4 CBs and try to keep a couple of CBs on the practice squad. I've never really cared much for Nate Jones.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
I think you're going to be surprised. ;)

I hope so, but I have no confidence in Watkins ability to step into the slot and cover a receiver. His man to man coverage skills don't excite me.

If they want a guy that just sits back and plays CF, he'll probably be decent. How often does Dallas run that kind of coverage though?

Smith can step up and cover a slot receiver. He can play corner. He has played SS and FS (although in a Tampa Cover 2 where a SS is more or less a FS). I doubt Watkins can do all of those things. Not to mention 5 years experience in the league lining up defenses.

Personally, I doubt he is a target because I think whatever Dallas didn't like Smith for was carried over by Payton/Gibbs to NO. They just signed him last year, he played well and he isn't expensive.

I know we're all happy about Watkins, but there is a reason he slipped in the draft.