News: Will The Dallas Cowboys Draft A Wide Receiver Early?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Will The Dallas Cowboys Draft A Wide Receiver Early?

http://insidethestar.com/will-dallas-cowboys-draft-wide-receiver-early/

The Dallas Cowboys’ lack of play-making wide receivers was evident last season and probably had something to do with them finishing with a 4-12 record.

When Dez Bryant went down with a foot injury the receivers struggled during his absence. Despite never being quite 100%, it was more of the same even when he returned to the lineup.

Dallas even felt the need to try and add depth to the position by making a trade with the Oakland Raiders for wide receiver Brice Butler. Although Butler showed flashes of his talent, he too struggled with injuries, thus complicating things even further.

Bryant is a competitor and may have returned a little too quickly from his injury, so the blame for the lack of production from the rest of the receivers can’t really be placed on him. The remaining Cowboys receivers were unable to step up when it was their time to shine and the entire offense suffered because of this.

Many of you will say that the entire carousel of backup quarterback’s didn’t really do anything to help the receivers either, but with Bryant not at 100% there really wasn’t another receiver that struck any kind of fear in the opponent’s defense.

That is why I believe that it is a high possibility that they draft a wide receiver in one of the first two rounds of the 2016 NFL Draft...

CCBoy

Reaction score
This would be one way to actually assist Tony Romo this and next season, and prepare the team for transitions later down the road...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Going by standard size by selections at wide receiver, the article points to this group to choose from:

Laquon Treadwell (6’2″, 221), Josh Doctson (6’2″, 202), and Michael Thomas (6’3″, 212) are really the only receivers that fit into the Cowboys criteria and the most likely to be drafted in round one or two.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd be shocked if we went WR at 4 or 34. We trade down and get an additional 2nd rounder we might look at WR there.

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Will Fuller would be an awesome addition to this offense. Can play from inside or outside. Someone with petrifying speed forces the safeties to play back, opens up the middle zone. With Dez occupying attention, one missed tackle and Fuller is gashing defenses in RAC.

Gaede

Reaction score
I actually think that WR is our target at 34. We were dismal on offense last year and the team needs to find a way to score.

Doctson, Thomas, Fuller, Coleman, Treadwell. I'd take any of these guys in round 2. And it's feasible that most will be there. I believe the DL class will force the top WR prospects down the board.

Shepherd, Boyd are players I love in round three, but I'm not sure how they fit here.

tm1119

Reaction score
Not really understanding why the Fan Base around here is in such denial about playmakers beyond QB, it's assinine.

Because we were perfectly fine when Dez and Romo were healthy. How concerned we should be with Dez's health should be a whole other question, but I'm not worried about a healthy offense moving the ball at all. Don't be surprised when our 5 WR's next year are Dez, Twill, Beas, Butler, Lucky....I'm sure butler and Lucky will get some competition but it doesn't need to be early in the draft.

morasp

Reaction score
The need is there but they are so far from what the Broncos showed last year they really should stick to their board and draft playmakers, especially in the early rounds. If there is someone ranked higher that would help the defense, take him.

phildadon86

Reaction score
The need is there but they are so far from what the Broncos showed last year they really should stick to their board and draft playmakers, especially in the early rounds. If there is someone ranked higher that would help the defense, take him.

What we need to do is stop looking at how other teams succeed and do what they do. This is why we have Escobar in the first place, thats the year Jones wanted to be the Patriots and run 2 TE sets, which we never do. We should stick to the philosophy of 2014 and ram the ball down the opponents throats, and upgrade the defense. I want a WR as well, a speedy guy to take the top off of the offense, the problem is our system doesnt allow guys like that to flourish. I see Henry in RD 2, in all honesty.

morasp

Reaction score
What we need to do is stop looking at how other teams succeed and do what they do. This is why we have Escobar in the first place, thats the year Jones wanted to be the Patriots and run 2 TE sets, which we never do. We should stick to the philosophy of 2014 and ram the ball down the opponents throats, and upgrade the defense. I want a WR as well, a speedy guy to take the top off of the offense, the problem is our system doesnt allow guys like that to flourish. I see Henry in RD 2, in all honesty.

I'm not comparing offensive and defensive philosophies I'm comparing talent. Our best pass rusher last year wouldn't have even started for the Broncos. We didn't have a backup QB that could come in and win games. We didn't have that shut down corner that we could put on the other teams top receiver and neutralize him. And the one bright spot at safety was Byron Jones hopefully he can continue to improve this year.

Last edited:

phildadon86

Reaction score
I'm not comparing offensive and defensive philosophies I'm comparing talent. Our best pass rusher last year wouldn't have even started for the Broncos. We didn't have a backup QB that could come in and win games. We didn't have that shut down corner that we could put on the other teams top receiver and neutralize him. And the one bright spot at safety was Byron Jones hopefully he can continue to improve this year.

You mean Carr isnt a shutdown corner? ****** ive been lied to this whole time.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
I love the early 3rd round for WR value. One of Cooper, Miller, Shepard, and Boyd should be there - and I'd be stoked about any of the 4.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
to answer the question....yes..... Dallas should consider a WR in the 1st 3 rounds, but one could argue that we have other more pressing needs.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
still think Braxton Miller is the pick at 34.

I expect a top 25-30 talent on the board at 34. That's not Miller for me. He only has 25 receptions in his career. While the upside is there, he still has a sizable transition to make - and that risk pushes him into the 3rd for me.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
I think Treadwell is too good to pass up if he's available at 34. Otherwise, get a player in the middle rounds. Big NO on overdrafting Braxton Miller.

ConceptCoop

Reaction score
I'd also love trading back to the early teens and grabbing Treadwell. That should net us at least an extra 2nd and 3rd.

1. Treadwell - WR
2. Bullard - DT/DE
2. Henry - TE
3. X. Howard - CB
3. Collins - RB
4. CB/DL/LB
4. CB/DL/LB

In general, I've been leaning towards defense in this draft, but I'd be stoked with the above.

I'd also jump all over Coleman at 34.