Will the Julian Peterson signing ...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack said:
:rolleyes:

This site is simply the best... but it could be even better if not for stupid posts like the quoted one above.

1. Al S isn't a "Wimp"

2. He's 6'2"

3. He's not 220 lbs.

4. He was our starting LOLB last year, yet he won't make it out of training camp next year?
You forgot "book it" Rack. :laugh2:

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
Rack said:
:rolleyes:

This site is simply the best... but it could be even better if not for stupid posts like the quoted one above.

1. Al S isn't a "Wimp"

2. He's 6'2"

3. He's not 220 lbs.

4. He was our starting LOLB last year, yet he won't make it out of training camp next year?

I don't know if you remember or not, but there is an infamous poster on this board who was very much against Al Singleton during training camp, he even went so far as to guarantee that he wouldn't make it out of training camp. This post surely had absolutely nothing to do with said poster. :rolleyes:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
TheEnigma said:
I don't know if you remember or not, but there is an infamous poster on this board who was very much against Al Singleton during training camp, he even went so far as to guarantee that he wouldn't make it out of training camp. This post surely had absolutely nothing to do with said poster. :rolleyes:

We all know Nors was wrong about AlS.

What's that got to do with your post? Unless your post was just pure sarcasm. If so, I completely missed the sarcasm.

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
Rack said:
We all know Nors was wrong about AlS.

What's that got to do with your post? Unless your post was just pure sarcasm. If so, I completely missed the sarcasm.

It was indeed pure sarcasm. I apologize if it was taken as anything else.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
TheEnigma said:
It was indeed pure sarcasm. I apologize if it was taken as anything else.

Smilies are your friend.

A simple :D at the end of that post would of done the trick.

Sorry for my misinterpretation (sp?). Sarcasm is hard to read on the internet w/o the aid of smilies.

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
Rack said:
Smilies are your friend.

A simple :D at the end of that post would of done the trick.

Sorry for my misinterpretation (sp?). Sarcasm is hard to read on the internet w/o the aid of smilies.

True, I've never been big on smilies but I'll have to change that. Communication was never one of my strong suits either. ;)

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
TheEnigma said:
True, I've never been big on smilies but I'll have to change that. Communication was never one of my strong suits either. ;)

See? You're learning already.

Nice usage of the ;) smilie.

:bow:

playit12

Reaction score
I for one don't think Peterson is in the mold of Ware, however there are difference dirrections one can go at OLB.

The first mold is your Joey Porter DeMarcus Ware type. These are generally converted down lineman that are liabilities in coverage past 7 yards but can take on tackles and not only turn run plays inside but also squeeze a tackle or pulling guard to close lanes. These guys absolutely cannot give up 100 pounds to their opposition. You'd idealy like them to weight in just under a small center's weight. I'd guess 255-265. If you drop say 20 pounds from that then he's not going to be able to turn in a 300 pound tackle. It's not just strength, it's simple physics.

This is an important distinction... If you are going to be reguarlly rushing the passer as the 4th rusher in a 3 man front, then you need to be able to control a blocker on a run play.

The second Mold is relatively unknown in football today. The closest I could guess would be Ray Lewis when he played the 3-4 (and occasionally lined up outside) or perhaps someone like Thomas Davis. Here you have guys that have SS speed and can cover down field or in the flats. The biggest thing these guys give you is an ability to account for extra recievers (RBs, H-Backs, and TEs).

A guy in this mold can play opposite of Ware, but they would absolutely not play the same role. Ware (and perhaps one of the ILBers) would be the usual 4th rusher while his opposite LB would generally line up on the strong side or across from the H-Back. He has coverage first responsibilites and is free to rush the QB when his area is free. He would also blitz in the way a corner or SS would. These guys would not be strong enough to turn in a Tackles or Guard. So he would need additional coverage inside from the near ILB. That would effectively shift all 4 Linebackers over slightly to account. However he would certainly be responsible for turning plays inside. You'd also like to play him behind more of a 2 gap DE. The 3-4 can be run with both 2 gap and 1 gap DEs. Richard Seymore for instance is a 1 gap DE, while Canty is more of a 2 Gap player. This OLB would want to be shielded from lineman and thus would be more effective behind a 2 gap player. Some people might recognize this D as more of a 3-3-1-4 instead of a 3-4-4. I'd say it's a hybrid since the Rover/OLB does have some run responsibility.

I don't know of any teams that really play with this formation, however considering the state of the league, where TE's and H-Backs are being used more as pass catchers I'd think it would be a good evolution of the 3-4. I think this is the natural adjustment to a league of single backs.

I could see the faster (Pre-Injury) Peterson in the second mold, but not in the first. He simply doesn't have the mass to turn in a Lineman. He wasn't asked to take on linemen in SF and I think he was expendable this year because of their own shift to the 3-4.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
playit12 said:
I'd guess 255-265. If you drop say 20 pounds from that then he's not going to be able to turn in a 300 pound tackle. It's not just strength, it's simple physics.

I could see the faster (Pre-Injury) Peterson in the second mold, but not in the first. He simply doesn't have the mass to turn in a Lineman. He wasn't asked to take on linemen in SF and I think he was expendable this year because of their own shift to the 3-4.

What people dont realize is that Peterson is a monster, and i definately thought he was around 250 or more until i read on here taht he was 235. he definately is strong enough to turn in a blocker and he plays with great intensity even after the injury. Peterson will agree to a price that is pro-cowboy sooner or later. and momentum is also simple physics, while a crazy Mother . . . like Peterson has momentum and insanity on his side.

PacoReloaded

Reaction score
Hostile said:
He's a shell of what he used to be. Still a good player, but I'd almost rather not go this route.
Hmm, a shell of his former self, eh? Last year he wasn't too much worse that how he normally plays and this is still coming off the knee injury.

the_h0wey

Reaction score
50cent said:
Peterson signing be more about the OLB position or bringing a familiar face to the locker room to ease the adjustment for T.O.? I've thought about JP coming to Dallas for awhile now, and while most think he is to lite in the pants to play OLB in the 3-4, I disagree. He's bigger and more athletic than Singleton and on par with Burnett. I think we will still cover our tales with a draftee if we pick him up, but I think if we do get him it has more to do with T.O.

Everyone keeps commenting on us getting Peterson, but why? Correct me if I am wrong but he is currently only scheduled for a visit to Valley Ranch right? That being said weren't other FA's like McGinest also scheduled for visits to VR, but then signed with other teams before they even came? We may take a look at Peterson but I do not believe we are even close to signing him....

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
PacoReloaded said:
Hmm, a shell of his former self, eh? Last year he wasn't too much worse that how he normally plays and this is still coming off the knee injury.

You didn't watch much of Peterson last year. That much is obvious.

Again, he's still a very solid player, but he's not the player he was before he tore his achilles.

visionary

Reaction score
Hostile said:
He's a shell of what he used to be. Still a good player, but I'd almost rather not go this route.

:signmast:

while unquestionably talented, he is recently hurt FA, o the lighter side for 3-4 SOLB, looking for a payday. by definition we would have to overpay to get him. i vote for SOLB with the first pick in the draft.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Anyone that thinks he's just as good as he was before the injury (or anywhere close) is flat out in denial.

Cuz he was a freakin' MONSTER before that injury. Not even San Fran would be dumb enough to let a player THAT GOOD get away.

Which is why they allowed him to be a FA.

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
Rack said:
Anyone that thinks he's just as good as he was before the injury (or anywhere close) is flat out in denial.

Cuz he was a freakin' MONSTER before that injury. Not even San Fran would be dumb enough to let a player THAT GOOD get away.

Which is why they allowed him to be a FA.

I don't remember the year, but I remember the first time I saw him against us. I remember thinking who is that guy? He's EVERYWHERE. I didn't see the same player the times I saw him last year.

Granted he was coming off the injury, but he wasn't close to being the same player last year that he was in previous years.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
It will be because he's addresses the OLB position...it will have nothing to do with T.O....we're talking about grown men here, not babies who need a nanny....despite their behavior.

Qwickdraw

Benched
Reaction score
50cent said:
Peterson signing be more about the OLB position or bringing a familiar face to the locker room to ease the adjustment for T.O.? I've thought about JP coming to Dallas for awhile now, and while most think he is to lite in the pants to play OLB in the 3-4, I disagree. He's bigger and more athletic than Singleton and on par with Burnett. I think we will still cover our tales with a draftee if we pick him up, but I think if we do get him it has more to do with T.O.
You don't sign an player as expensive as Peterson (or as talented, for that matter) because you're trying to make one of your WRs happy. That's aboslutely ridiculous.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Hostile said:

The positive though, is he is another year healed from his injury and IF he returns to full strength.....look out!

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Dolphins | Team to visit with Peterson March 20
Sun, 19 Mar 2006 21:00:34 -0800

Harvey Fialkov, of the
Sun-Sentinel, reports the Miami Dolphins will visit with free agent LB Julian Peterson (49ers) Monday, March 20.